DR1 Colombia, here we come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's something thats been on the drawing board for way too long, actually since around 2007. I have been a bunch of times and love the country, I kick myslef for not developing a site sooner, but finally the stars have aligned and I'll be off to Colombia at the end of this month to get things rolling.

DR1 been going since 1996 and we have learn't a lot, had some successes and made lots of mistakes. These days we have a pretty good idea what people want and how to drive traffic to the site. So our plan is to take our knowhow and see if it will duplicate in another market. If it works, great, expect to see a few more countries in the future :)

Our goal was to be the first Dominican tech/web related company to successfully export it's knowledge/knowhow and setup in a market outside of the DR. Looks like we might be #2, as my very good friend Carlos Coll at SuperCasas & SuperCarros is currently setting up opertations in Bogota. Carlos has a great business model and will do very well in Colombia.

Why Colombia?

It's a massive emerging market that is relativly untapped when it comes to English language sites, especially ones of the quality and depth of DR1.

Colombia leads in Latin America for tourism growth numbers and has an outstanding tourism product, very diverse and well organised.

It's a huge country to cover, so our initial focus will be in and around Carategna, the center of tourism. I have been there 4 times, so I know it pretty well and I'm looking forward to getting to know it a lot better.

This thread will keep everyone updated and how things evolve from the day to day stuff to the final launch date and beyond. I have no doubt it will make for interetsing reading as the project unravels.

logo.png

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
The name for the new Colombia forum should be CO1, in my humble opinion, new country new name using the knowledge you have acquired running DR1.

Congratulation!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Congrats!!!

Will give me a reason to visit Colombia which I never had the priviledge.

Maybe DR1 can reimburse me for my expenses? lol:D:D

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When you have the funds $$$ spare to buy co1.com let me know :)

It's a site, not just a forum. The forum will be part of it, just like it is on DR1 now.

If I owned Nike or Coca Cola, I wouldn't change the name when entering a new market.
Sure, DR1 isn't as well known, but it's still a brand that has a wide reach and touches millions of people every year.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
well congratulation
but Im having a hard time keeping up with one
let alone two of these lol
I feel neglected already
Manu

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
well congratulation
but Im having a hard time keeping up with one
let alone two of these lol
I feel neglected already
Manu

Different country, different audience., although I expect a few posters to cross over.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I hope your teeth hurt for leaving DR1 for another concubine lol
you see , nobody is commenting on this
everybody is triste
Manu

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Will give me a reason to visit Colombia which I never had the privilege.

Hey Bronxboy, don't worry-we'll plan a trip over there and you'll see how much fun it is.

I have people over there who will sort us out just fine and we'll have a blast!!!

For the record, let me say this-I know we are fans of the DR, but it's not the only country in the world.

Colombia has a lot going for it and one of the things that most impressed me is the level of education amongst the young people I met in some of its' cities.

But like everywhere else, it's good to know people who can introduce you into these social circles.

Art, education, culture, history-the country has plenty going for it.

Great news, Robert!!!

Last edited:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I would imagine that Bogota being the capital has lot of expats and English speakers to.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I will be the one to cross over to colombian site. I consider my self "some-what" of an expert in the interior of the country. I will write on the forums and I will visit colombia soon.
Bronxboy, you need to go with me someday. Colombia is for the big dogs. Hahahaha
AZB

sonrisa

Dec 23, 2008
Plan to be more involoved on DR1. And now I'll get a bonus with DR1 Colombia. I've visited Colombia a number of times. Haven't yet been to Cartagena, but love Medellin which I find is a very nice city with great weather. I'll make sure to throw in a comment/observation or two. As far as Cartagena goes, I'd recommend reading James Michener's book "Caribbean" which is a fascinating historical/fiction book on all the places in the Caribbbean with an impressive section on Cartagena. Look forward to reading and contributing to both sites.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ah yes, Cartagena de Indias. It's the part of Colombia that feels the most like the DR. Should it be a surprise that Robert is starting there? Hmmm....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ah yes, Cartagena de Indias. It's the part of Colombia that feels the most like the DR. Should it be a surprise that Robert is starting there? Hmmm....

I have to start some place and it's by far the most popular city for tourism, both external and internal.
Medellin, Bogota and others are on the radar, but all in good time.

I'm not sure what part of the DR feels like Cartagena?
I have been to Cartagena four times and wouldn't compare it to any city in the DR.
Cartagena and Santo Domingo both have Colonial Zones, but Cartagena's is in a very different
league to Santo Domingo's. It's much larger, pristine and Colombians are very proud of it and let you know it. Bocagrande and Castillogrande or more like Miami, not Brickell, but nice.

I will say that the outer suburbs of Cartagena (Estrato 3 and down) are no different to Los Minas, El Faro etc. Pretty poor and have the usual problems that come with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.