let my passport exp

jim44

Dec 13, 2005
hi all just got invited for a trip to puj leave this sat. just checked my passport its expired. do i need a passport from Toronto to puj? or can i get away with my drivers licence and birth certificate? thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think after 911 you pretty much need a passport!! Sorry... get expedited service $$$ but Punta Cana is worth it!!

Talk to WUD, he knows!!

HB

Feb 7, 2007
/ 09MAY11 / 2136 UTC

National Canada (CA)
Destination Dominican Rep. (DO)

Dominican Rep. (DO)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.

- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any
destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or
accepted departure document TIRULES/R9 is required by the
US immigration authorities.

Passport Exemptions:

- Original Birth Certificate or Birth Registration Papers or a
military hospital issued Birth Certificate or Canadian
Citizenship Certificate or Naturalization Certificate issued
to nationals of Canada.

If not including photo of the bearer, these documents must
be accompanied by an official photo ID document
(i.e
driver's licence); and visitor must travel for touristic
purposes.
NOTE: however, passengers are recommended to hold a
passport. Children under 18 years of age are not required to
hold a photo ID.

Visa Issuance:
Visa required, except for Nationals of Canada can obtain a
Tourist Card on arrival, for a max. stay of 30 days. Fee: USD
10.-. Extension possible.

Minors:
- Passengers under 18 years of age leaving the Dominican
Rep.,For details, click here

Additional Information:

- Visitors must hold:
- return or onward tickets; and
- all documents required for their next destination.
- except for those, irrespective of nationality, whose
passport states that they were born in the Dominican Rep.

Warning:
- Non-compliance with the entry regulations will result in
refusal of entry and deportation of the passenger on the
same aircraft. The carrier will be fined USD 1,000.- if
transporting passengers with incorrect documents.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - CANADA: 1995 MODEL CANADIAN PASSPORTS

Timaticweb Version 1.3
09 May 2011

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
hi all just got invited for a trip to puj leave this sat. just checked my passport its expired. do i need a passport from Toronto to puj? or can i get away with my drivers licence and birth certificate? thanks.

The DR doesn't require a passport to come for tourist purposes, birth certificate with a government issued ID will be just fine. Now you need to check if the Canadian government require that you have a passport to enter the country. Also if you are planning to transit through the USA, you are required to have a passport.

European don't need passport to enter the DR either, just birth certificate and government issued ID.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So why do I need to bother renewing my passport? Why does anyone bother if we can just get about with a driving license? I still don't think I could get on a DR flight out of the UK with only my driving license. I have to go through alsorts of scans and things, eyeball pics and stuff. If for any reason the government was after me it wouldn't show up on my drivers license but would on my passport. OK I'll stand down as wrong on this, but I'm shocked this is the case!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't know about the UK Anastacio (I just researched my countrymen).

Also, in France, a driver licence is not an ID as much it is in the US. We never show it apart from driving related stuff. I was talking about a "carte d' identite" (our national identity card) which is, by the way, mandatory to carry at all times in France.

In addition, this doesn't apply to me because I live in the US, so I need my passport to get back

So don't burn your passport yet :)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I don't know about the UK Anastacio(I just researched my countrymen).

Also, in France, a driver licence is not an ID as much it is in the US. We never show it apart from driving related stuff. I was talking about a "carte d' identite" (our national identity card) which is, by the way, mandatory to carry at all times in France.

In addition, this doesn't apply to me because I live in the US, so I need my passport to get back

So don't burn your passport yet :)

Every time I'd traveled through Puerto Plata they have a fly from the UK and I've only seemed them with birth certificate and government issued ID.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
So why do I need to bother renewing my passport?

In case you have an emergency and you need to transit through a country that require that you have a passport like USA!

Why does anyone bother if we can just get about with a driving license?

The birth certificate is needed too.

I still don't think I could get on a DR flight out of the UK with only my driving license.

Why not? There is no immigration control to exit the UK. I had used the three major UK airports Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted, and I passed through the same security check that UK citizen passed to go to European destinations where no passport is needed either. Just check with the airlines.

I have to go through alsorts of scans and things, eyeball pics and stuff. If for any reason the government was after me it wouldn't show up on my drivers license but would on my passport. OK I'll stand down as wrong on this, but I'm shocked this is the case!

I'm surprised that you didn't know this! I pay close attention at what everybody is doing, call me a busybody, and one of the things that I always notice in the DR when I traveling is the lack of passports by European travelers. I'm even more surprised that nobody had notice that most NON-USA tourist travel without a passport to the DR.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I never heard about that,
and coming back to germany without a Passport in hand would mean "Bye bye", each Passport get's passed through the Scanner when entering Germany, at leats that was the case on my last Visit April/May 2010.
so when the Passport is required when reentering the country, why to bother to bring different/additional Documentation when entering the DR/
and also,
til my last visit mentioned above, at the german Airport My German Passport been required and even checked for expiration Date to get the Boarding Pass handed over.
they also asked about my residency because I flew OneWay.

that European Countries do not require a passport would be new to me and I would see such way of Travel also as a security Risk for the Flights.

Mike

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The security risk is the biggy, that makes it seem a bit strange. False driving licenses are pi$$ easy to get, I could have my girl out the the country in a few weeks if this was the case. I don't know this by the way, I am speculating on the ease of which certain documents must be easier to fraud than others!

Feb 7, 2007
@MikeFisher - this is Timaticweb information for German passport holders entering the DR

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.
- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any
destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or
accepted departure document TIRULES/R9 is required by the
US immigration authorities.

Passport Exemptions:
- Holders of National Identity Card issued to nationals of
Germany. Note: these are generally accepted but at the
discretion of Immigration
. Therefore, it is highly
recommended to travel with a passport.
- Holders of a German identity document ( Kinderausweis )
issued to minors up to/incl. 15 years of age.

Btw to enter back to Germany without a passport -you could enter with your German national identity card. You enter Germany with national ID card form non-Schengen EU areas, such as Ireland, UK, Romania, etc. You do not need a passport to ENTER Germany, if you are in a possession of German (or otherEU) national identity card.

Feb 7, 2007
@Anastacio - you do need a passport as British citizen. According to Timaticweb, passport exemptions to enter the DR apply to citizens of Canada, Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands (clearly stated in contry profile). Timaticweb does not state passport exemptions for citizens of UK, Spain, Italy, etc. I have no done country-by-country check but I tried about 20 major world countries and only those 5 mentioned above came up with passport exemptions allowed to enter the DR.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great Info, Rubio.
Yes, of course I hold that German ID Card, named Personalausweis, every German does, You are required to carry it 24/7 there.
ID Card Accepted here under the Immigrations Discretion means they can accept it and they could also Deny entry without the Passport, so it would be risky.
or even worse:
they let you enter but the person at Immigrations when leaving the DR denies acceptance of the Document, stuck in Paradise, ha ha.
I never paid Attention to the Use of the ID Card when entering Germany, as I anyways always travelled with my Passport everywhere around, but good to know that this alternative exists.
when the opportunity arises I have to check with bthe Airport Immigrations Guys if they would accept my ID Card to leave the DR towards Germany, just to know.

Mike