Economic Status of Women

J

Jessica

I really really need to know what the economic status of women is in the Dominican Republic. Can you help?

C

Carol

next to nothing--it's a macho country and anyone that says different doesn't live here
they may have laws on the books that protect woman and advance their causes but in practice it's a lot of crap--it's a guy's world down here

H

Henry

Slowly it's getting better in the big towns, well not yet to much in the countryside!

Don't give up the hope!

Henry

N

Natasha

Re: wish you had better answers

There is no doubt that the Dominican Republic still is a very patriarchal society. However, we must be a bit careful about transporting American and Western European ideals of feminism to other countries. Latin and African women have complained about this for years. Having been born and raised in the DR, as well as having worked there, I can give you some of my observations, but instead I will suggest that you contact people directly in the DR. CIPAF (Centro de Investigacion para la Accion Femenina) is a research center that focuses on women's issues. Intec (Instituto Tecnologico de Santo Domingo) has a center of gender studies. Some non-Dominican authors , like Helen Safa, have written about this issue beautifully, without the usual condescending tones that many others have adopted (I am better than you because I burned my bra kind of thing). Here is a short list of sources that might help you. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Natasha

Free Markets and the Marriage Market: Structural Adjustment, Gender Relations, and Working Conditions among Dominican Women Workers Author: Safa, H. I. Source: Environment and Planning A v31, n2 (February 1999): 291-304

Export Manufacturing, State Policy, and Women Workers in the Dominican Republic Author: Safa, Helen I. Source: Global production: The apparel industry in the Pacific Rim. (1994): 247-67 Publication: Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1994

Women and the Economic Crisis in the Caribbean
Author: Safa, Helen I.; Antrobus, Peggy Source: Unequal burden: Economic crises, persistent poverty, and women's work. (1992): 49-82 Publication: Boulder and Oxford: Westview Press, 1992

In the shadows of the sun: Caribbean development alternatives and U.S. policy Author: Deere, Carmen Diana, et al. Publication: A PACCA Book Boulder and Oxford: Westview Press, 1990

Rural women and state policy: Feminist perspectives on Latin American agricultural development Author: Deere, Carmen Diana; Leon, Magdalena, eds. Publication: Series in Political Economy and Economic Development in Latin America. Boulder, Colo. and London: Westview Press, 1987

Women's Components in Integrated Rural Development Projects
Author: Chaney, Elsa M. Source: Rural women and state policy: Feminist perspectives on Latin American agricultural development (1987): 191-211 Publication: Series in Political Economy and Economic Development in Latin America Boulder, Colo. and London: Westview Press 1987

Agricultural Development, the Economic Crisis, and Rural Women in the Dominican Republic Author: Mones, Belkis; Grant, Lydia Source: Rural women and state policy: Feminist perspectives on Latin American agricultural development (1987): 35-50 Publication: Series in Political Economy and Economic Development in Latin America Boulder, Colo. and London: Westview Press 1987

Perfil de las microempresas en la Republica Dominicana y caracteristicas de las microempresas de Santiago, 1995-1996.
Author: Ortiz, Marina Publication: FondoMicro pa 1996 xxxii+213p

Harnessing women's work: restructuring agricultural and industrial labor forces in the Dominican Republic.
Author: Raynolds, Laura T. Source: Economic Geography 74:149-69 Ap 1998

La investigacion-accion feminista y el movimiento de mujeres en la Republica Dominicana. Author: Hernandez Medina, Esther Source: Caribbean Studies/Estudios del Caribe/Etudes des Caraiebes 28:128-46 Ja/Je 1995

Indicadores de las microempresas en la Republica Dominicana, 1994-1995. Author: Moya Pons, Frank; Ortiz, Marina Publication: FondoMicro pa 1995 xxx+201p

Indicadores sobre mujeres y familias urbanas en Republica Dominicana: encuesta nacional de hogares y mujeres urbanas, 1989. Author: Quiterio B., Gisela Corp Author: Centro de Investigacion para la Accion Femenina (CIPAF). Publication: Taller (21x28 cm) pa Ag 1993 129p

Mujer trabajadora: genero y proteccion. Author: Paulino, Altagracia Publication: Confederacion Trabajadores Unitaria 1994 34p

Mujeres latinoamericanas en cifras: Republica Dominicana.
Author: Quiterio Benitez, Gisela, ed.; Ferreras Blanco, Elizabeth, ed. Corp Author: Instituto de la Mujer. Publication: Inst Mujer (ISBN 956-205-071-8) pa 1993 115p

Microempresas y pequenas empresas de mujeres en la Republica Dominicana: resultados de una encuesta nacional.
Author: Cely, Patricia Publication: FondoMicro, Av. Abraham Lincoln esq. Av. John F. Kennedy, Edificio Nissan, 2do. piso, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; EPS no. A-201, P.O. Box 02-5256, Miami, FL 33102-5256 pa Je 1993 xx+120p

La mujer rural dominicana.
Publication: Centro de Investigacion para la Accion Femenina (CIPAF), Luis F. Thomen 358, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic pa Ap 1987 242p

The new women workers: does money equal power?
Author: Safa, Helen I. Source: Report on the Americas. 27:24-9 Jl/Ag 1993

S

Sarah

Excellent response Natasha! Thanks!!

T

Tgf

Thank you Natasha for an informative post. I was in the process of compiling some references for Jessica but you beat me to it. I was delayed by my ascerbic response to Mr. McIntosh. I, too, think Helen Safa's work is some of the best out there on the role of women in the Dominican Republic's formal and informal sector. Have you ever met her? She is a very friendly and open person, easy to talk to, with a wealth of experience from four decades of working in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. She is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Florida - one of my alma maters.

N

Natasha

Thanks TGF. I know what you mean about Mr. McIntosh, sad.

But on to more important things. Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of personally meeting Helen Safa, but I have read most of her writings, which are just so intelligently written! I have a lot of respect for her research. Univ. of Florida, eh?...I almost went there. Went north instead, to Pitt.

Best,
Natasha

C

CES

"ascerbic response to Mr. Mc..."

?Basta ya! Ronald,

Long ago before women had much of a say in any thing some poor misguided wretch (probably not unlike your self) coined "world's oldest profession" in an attempt to have a "polite" word for the act of prostitution. A term that wouldn't cause alarm amongst the proper folk when having a "worldly" conversation or discussion about what happens when a man goes out to do a little "whoring" in the back streets of of the "wrong side" of town.

Your insistence in trying to justify the 'insertion' of a thinly veiled "whore house" web site into this message thread is misguided to say the least. One the other hand, IMHO, one might take your post as the work of a "pimp" or in the language of the street "just some ol' hoe daddy run'n off his mouth" . .
.IMHO

. . . CES