Road Assault

tigre

Apr 13, 2011
Just witnessed an attempted road assault around noon today. Two guys on a motor bike came speeding up behind a gringo on a passola. They tried to push him off the road at high speed, while the guy was fighting back. I had my car full of passengers and choose not to attempt a "Rescue". Hope the gringo on the passola is OK!! Heads up passoleros!! be carful driving alone on on a bike/passola at certain areas of the highway outside of Sosua,,,,,,,the hight drug consumption in our barrios is making these kind of incidents take place more and more often,,,,

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The awful thing is no one stops to help when these things happen. When we got held up at gunpoint a few cars passed and could have quite easily have ran the tosser over for us, but chose to gawp and drive on by instead of helping. I expect the same would be the case if anyone noticed this guy being held up.
It seems stupid to intervene in these things, but someone has to stand up to these tossers or they just keep getting away with it. I vote for vigilante sting operations, set these guys up, then shoot them dead. The message would soon get across. Is murder considered murder in this instance?
If a bunch of gringos got together to set up these guys and started shooting them to put a message across, do you reckon they would be thanked or locked up?
I know a few Canadians on the Northcoast who miss hunting, this could be a great new sport for them, although I wouldn't fancy the mounted heads on the wall!

tigre

Apr 13, 2011
Totally agree with you! My first thought was to turn the car around and run these guys over. Never mind how tempting this may sound, it would probably have caused me some serious consequences later. I know there is a lot of vigilante activities going on in the Santo Domingo barrios,,,if thieves are caught red handed, they are very often lynched by angry mobs. I have some friends in Guatemala, and they are telling me that thieves are often tied up to a pole and burnt alive. Very little is done to stop this kind of crime here in Sosua. One of the reasons the police are often reluctant to chase down small time thieves is the fact that they hardly spend more than a couple of days in jail. Some judge will let them off the hook right away. We probably need a new Trujillo here!!!

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Last time I intervened in a crime is when I knocked a guy off his moto after snatching a purse...long story short I was jammed up cause the guy suffered injuries when I knocked him off his moto and decided I was financially responsible for his medical bills. Lady got her purse back and I got a major headache and a lawyer. Moral of this story is...if you do intervene and help make sure YOU don't get caught!!!

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Or be sure to kill them, then drive off!

Never, ever would travel alone in this area at night ; its no-go ; only with reliable taxi or known moto-concho.
Something like downtown Miami.

I don't know why they don't hand out warnings at the airport. When I went to Miami warnings were everywhere - car rental, police stations etc.

Yanandu

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
How do you know the gringo hadnt ripped off the locals and was making his getaway but being chased down?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do not abandon all hope. when i was attacked at a gunpoint in POP (daytime, btw) some anonymous dude in a black jeepeta stopped next to us and shot at the robber. missed him, sadly. but on a bright note he missed me too, and i think the dude was pointing his gun in our general direction, not at the robber specifically.
in any case, it helped and i was safe, along with mind blowing 41 pesos i happened to carry in my bag.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Fair enough! maybe its got worse since I was there.
Come expecting to be robbed to Cab/Sosua - I stopped going.
Plenty of other beautiful safer places in DR.
Yanandu

U r so wrong. Sosua and Cabarete are probably two of the safest places to live as a gringo if u use common sense. U hear a lot less about problems in campesina village but if u decide to go/live there the RISK of getting in trouble are much greater.

Last edited: