Living and working in the DR / Transport from the Puerto Plata airport

ctag0702

May 10, 2011
Hi Everyone!
I have a few questions for experienced DR travelers or Puerto Plata locals/natives. I'm going to be going to Puerto Plata for 10 days this month for work
1. How do you get from the airport to the city of Puerto Plata without renting a taxi (I've heard they're very expensive)? I am looking to go to Calle Profesor Juan Bosch no. 52, antigua Jon F. Kennedy. It's the offices of an NGO called CEPROSH. Can somebody give me the specifics on how to get where I'm going?
2. Are people in the DR generally nice? How do they react to foreigners? Specifically - foreign University researchers?
3. How do you greet somebody that you've corresponded with via email and over the phone, but never met in person?
4. I'm going to be staying with a local Dominican girl and her husband. What are the rules/customs for respecting their living space? I don't want to offend anyone...
5. What does one wear to work in Puerto Plata? Are jeans ok? Or should I be thinking slacks and a blouse?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
1. Get a taxi, it is not far into Pto Plata itself from the airport. Unless you hike it to the main road and flag down a guagua this is all you can do. And is not recommended, especially if you are a single female, or even novice male. Taxi.
2. Strangers, generally they are nice to you, but don't let your guard down, they are generally nice to you because they want something from you. This does not apply to your hosts obviously, but a stranger on the street is best left a stranger on the street. You have no problem with how they will react to you being a foreigner, I don't see how they will know what you do, I don't suggest you walk up to people and introduce yourself at random!
3. The same as anywhere else in the world, be respectful with a smile and you should be shown the same in return.
4. Try and take a small gift, something that is difficult to get over here, that should go down well. You won't offend anyone if you are civilized and considerate, give them space to do their thing occasionally.
5. What to wear depends where you'll be, I have no idea. I expect jeans will be fine, but you might be a little toasty if not used to the heat. Try skirt or dress, might be cooler for you!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
1. Agree, Taxi is about $33 USD, worth it.
2. The People are great, do as you do anywhere with caution.
3. Say Hola, Mucho Gusto! and take it from there.
4. A gift is a great idea, take them out to dinner one night, something like that
5. Most professionals were light cotton, loose dress clothes, remember it is hot in the tropics. If you are a female and not a cross dressing male a summer dress would be perfect. Daytime it will be in the 80-90 F range.

ctag0702

May 10, 2011
Just to clarify: For question #2, I am referring specifically to my Dominican colleagues - not random people on the street...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Your colleagues will be very happy to meet you and it is common greeting for a hug or cheek kiss twice to the opposite sex.
Again, Hola and mucho gusto are the right words.