ATM Card use

20now40

May 10, 2011
Hi-

Are there only specific atm networks available in the DR? I have a mastercard debit which has the Star network symbol on the back, and I want to make sure I can use my card once I get there. Thanks in advance for any information.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Hi-

Are there only specific atm networks available in the DR? I have a mastercard debit which has the Star network symbol on the back, and I want to make sure I can use my card once I get there. Thanks in advance for any information.

You should be able to use it at any of the atms, but keep in mind you make have to notify your bank that you will be out of the country using it. My sister banks with Bank of America and when she first tried to use it here she used it one time then they froze it saying that they thought it was being used for fraud and it the future she would need to contact them before she left and let them know where she was going to be using it so that it would not happen again, however it did the next time she came down. After the first transaction they froze it. Best advice check with your bank first. Because you are fine to use it here.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
That is good advice from Reese. My rule of thumb is to use ATM's from the major banks like Banco Popular and during the day when possible so that if you have a problem you can work it out on the spot. Also, most of the ATM's only let you take out 10,000 pesos at a time so plan accordingly.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Also you can go directly into the Banco Popular and withdraw as much as you would like without being charged a fee. Well as much as you would like within reason. And don't be alarmed if you check the balance and it says it is in pesos this happens alot and normally it is actual what you have in the account in dollars. My sister freaked out the first time that happened to her.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Plus a hefty charge for using an atm that is not your bank. And they are all not your bank. Even if it has the same name (Scotia Bank for example) it is not your bank. RV429 has it right. Using at night when the bank is not open is not a good idea. There are thieves that will steal your card using the banks machine. Your card does not return from the machine. The next day you find it has been used. How they get the pin numbers I dont know but its widespread. One last. Do not expect any service from the DR banks. They are in place to make money for the bank and they will do nothing for you. Many of their everyday practices were long ago made illegal in the US banking system. Try cashing a check and they will take forever in order to hold on to the money as long as possible. Check before you leave as to what your bank will charge for you to use a foreign atm.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
with a debitcard you cannot withdraw inside a bank... all the rest of the advice is correct

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
with a debitcard you cannot withdraw inside a bank... all the rest of the advice is correct

As long it has the Visa/Mastercard logo yu sure can cause I do it all the time. I even have a prepaid card I use just for traveling purposes that works just fine as well.