Moving to DR from US - Yes - another one jeje

djber

May 10, 2011
Hi Everyone,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
First of all I'd like to thank all the members here who are so generous with their time and provide such great advice. I have been through a ton of threads here and I think I got some very useful information. I apologize if what I am about to ask has already been discussed somewhere, and would be thankful for someone to refer me to that post.<o:p></o:p>
I am 28 years old, single, considering moving to the DR as I just got offered a job through my company. I currently reside in the United States and moving there would be a dream come true. The job is located in Santiago and so far I think I've gotten more than enough information on what a budget would be down there - The problems is that I plan to move either move there with my car (my company would pay for it) but it is a sedan. That is the one thing I did not see any information on. How much would it cost additionally to have a car? I have put together a budget of approximately $110,000DOP without taking into account a car - I overstated my budget to give me a bit of cushion in case anything happens. My Car is a 2009 Honda Accord<o:p></o:p>
I am sure some will probably think $110K is high, but I truly want to keep about the same lifestyle as I have in the States: I looked at a place in Trinitaria, I am looking to get internet at 8MBps from Codetel, along with the TV package that has the all the movie channels. I will be working 80-90 hrs a week so I plan to have a some help for cooking and cleaning and I budgeted $3500 pesos for someone to come 5x a week (no need to sleep in) - The other 2 days I plan to eat out, or cook if time permits.<o:p></o:p>
I have planned $8,000 a month for groceries<o:p></o:p>
To those who have moved from the US to DR, (Santiago preferably) <o:p></o:p>
1) What were some surprise one time costs you had? I am thinking Stove, Fridge, Inverter, cedula<o:p></o:p>
2) What were some surprise monthly costs that cropped up? I put cooking gas, electric, Internet, Cable, water, housekeeper, groceries, personal care (hair cut, doctor?s visit, gym) and of course entertainment<o:p></o:p>
3) What about taxes? Do we have to pay taxes to the Dominican government? If so what is the rate? I have heard a million different things<o:p></o:p>
4) What is the process of establishing credit there? I am thinking of keeping my car for maybe a year, and then upgrade to a pickup truck. Someone told me as long as I have 30% to put down then they will finance me?<o:p></o:p>
5) Is there such a thing as renter?s insurance?<o:p></o:p>
6) How much does car insurance go for including services from Casa del Conductor?<o:p></o:p>
7) Hilux pickup truck or Amarok? I?ve heard they are both great but Amarok is a LOT less expensive than Hilux<o:p></o:p>

Thanks to all those who will respond!<o:p></o:p>

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This is too tempting for me but I promised to be semi-civil this year. I'm sure someone will come along to help you. Good luck on your move!!!

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. i do not think fridge or a stove is a "surprise cost". if you move to a fully furnised house they will be there, if not, you'd have to buy. nothing surprising about kitchen appliances :)
your suprising costs will be, well, how to put it - a surprise. accident, medical bills, maybe.

2. surprise monthly costs... not sure what you have planned but you did not mention insurance. a must if you decide to live here. also medicine (if you have to take some regularily) is quite expensive here. bottled water (tap water is no good for drinking). car maintenance.

3. if you are employed in DR (a company that is registered in DR) you will have to pay taxes. the company will pay them, as far as i know, you will get your salary less taxes etc. the amount will differ depending on the income. lowest tax is 15%, then 20%, 25%. but that is basic tax.

4. no idea. taking credit for a car is beyond my level of comprehension (read: stupid). interest rates are VERY HIGH. if you budget 110k pesos (i presume it is monthly, right) for your living expenses then i suggest you save and buy for cash.

5. i dunno.

6. car insurance depends on a car and the insurance (full or not). i pay about 20k a year for my car (city car), miesposo about 30k (jeep). my in laws pay some crazy sums of 100k for each car or so (brand new and rather pricy vehicles).

7. i have no clue what is amarok which just go to show you it is better to go for hilux. all toyotas do well in DR. ok, i googled amarok. VW pickup in DR? a joke.

djber

May 10, 2011
Thanks for the response dv8!

Everyone else, I apologize for all the smileys, definitely was not my intention to have zillions on there... not sure what happened.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Your budget seems to be quite high - is this for just you? And I assume that is monthly! You may want to post your entire budget so that we can comment on what you did or did not include.

8,000RD for food is low probably.

3500 RD for your help 5 days a week, monthly is low.

Having a Honda Accord is a good vehicle to have here. Your full insurance will run you around 28,000RD a year and budget for gas at US $6 a gallon. Maintenance - parts are readily available for this type of vehicle.

You must make sure to get good medical insurance! AND you will need to get your residencia budget 1,000 to 1,300 US for this.

djber

May 10, 2011
Thanks DMV! This is invaluable info!

This is for just me, however there is a good chance one of my siblings may move in with me in the future, So I am overstating just in case.

What would be the approximate rate for a housekeeper then?

What do you mean exactly by residencia budget?

In my monthly budget I've included
Rent - Electricity - Internet - Cable - Cooking gas - Tap water - Housekeeper
Groceries - Entertainment (Dining out, movies, bars)
Medical (Insurance and bills), grooming, dry cleaning, gym
My student loans from the US are included in there as well

As I mentioned before I had not included Gas, Insurance and misc car expenses

djber

May 10, 2011
I've also been recommended to get insurance which would cover Medical Evacuations just in case... How much would such insurance cost?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
You are welcome. Residencia - the cost of this - to get it done and get your cedula which make you legal here if you do not have a work visa.

Housekeeper 5 days a week - good pay is 8,000 a month and up.

Including your student loans - that will certainly add a lot or a little - we don't know. We can only comment on the costs of living here.

Overstating is always a good thing when budgeting - I'd rather be surprised by overstating then understating.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Ok, so who will be looking for the Gringo in Santiago who will have a nice 110k a month? Ladies? tigers?! Ppphhhttt.. hehe

les1

Feb 1, 2007
The only comment I have is how can you consider paying a housekeeper 3500 a month when your budget is 110,000. That a factor of x30!! and this person may be trying to support her entire family. I know people do get away with paying this level of salary but I think it's taking advantage of widespread poverty for the sake of perhaps a few meals out in a smart restaurant. I would say 8-10,000 is more reasonable.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Your budget is about $3000 a month, which, for a single person is very good.

As other posters have said, the price for household help should be much higher than you have budgeting.. closer to 8,000... if you want someone who is honest and reliable.

Your food budget is also low. do you spend only $216 a month on food now? Food in NOT cheaper here than it is in the States..i

You are going to have to have three months down for the apartment. Since you are employed here, there should be no difficulty in getting a guarantor, which is a problem that most foreigners have.

Understand that the interest rates for cars here is very high. You may wish to budget to save up for the cost of the car.. OR you may wish to sell your car there and see if the company will give you an allowance based on what they would have paid for shipping, in order to get the car that you want.

There are always extras.. And you are young.. so you should plan on saving at least 20% of your income.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
overall agreement to the above Tones.

a 5 days househeld Person with cooking/washing/cleaning etc for 3500 is far underbudgeted.
a "sleeping In" Househeld Coordinator would be the best solution, but don't allow Her more than once per week to spend 5 hrs at the Salon.
otherwise, for 5 days of work per week, which is considered a Full Employment, 8-10K Pesos are appropriate.
Your Food/Eating Costs are by far too low calculated, if You are used to a 3KUS$ spending Lifetsyle in the USA I Guess You spent much more than Your mentioned Budget There, and Here You will need the same, even a bit above to hold the same Lifestyle, I would estimate a 20K Pesos for that per month, Eating out da House and drinks at a bar etc count extra of course.
Maintaing a Car depends on it's Use, how many Miles You plan to drive per month/year. the car insurance for Your Honda ranges around a good 20K Pesos per Year.
Medic Insurance I have myself a reliable Platinum Plan from ARS Humano for 3.500.- Pesos per Month.
Taxes to pay depends on waht deal You have with Your Employer and specially where Your Employer is located/Registered.
as a long hours working single you know yourself what "Extra Costs" for the Off Time You may catch, they vary a lot from person to person.
a 110K Pesos monthly Income for a Single Person makes for a very comfo Living on the Isle, at any place, when carefully planned.

good Luck and welcome to the Isle

Mike

Hey,
important Tip,
don't fall in love with the first 50 Perfect Nice Great Looking Young Gals You meet, just have Fun, but don't fall in Love and don't switch Your Househeld Employee for any of them.
after that You got the drift and all will be Fine.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
important Tip,
don't fall in love with the first 50 Perfect Nice Great Looking Young Gals You meet, just have Fun, but don't fall in Love and don't switch Your Househeld Employee for any of them.
after that You got the drift and all will be Fine.

Now this is an absolute gem - this hint should be required reading for each and every person who moves here. I love the comment Don't switch your household employee for any of them!!!! Girlfriends and boyfriends come and go but good staff is like GOLD...........

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Ditto on the $3500 per month, that's like $3 USD per day....The minimum wage in the D.R. is $8500 DP per month even though many employers don't pay that much. For $3500 you'll get maybe 2 days per week or worse. Also for food, One trip to the supermarket and you could spend $200 USD

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Ditto on the $3500 per month, that's like $3 USD per day....The minimum wage in the D.R. is $8500 DP per month even though many employers don't pay that much. For $3500 you'll get maybe 2 days per week or worse. Also for food, One trip to the supermarket and you could spend $200 USD

You do a disservice when you state things that are not correct. Minimum wage IS NOT 8,500RD!

BUT I agree that he should pay closer to that amount!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i know plenty of norteamericanos who've come to this country with much less and today are doing qite well. i also know a few that had money, plenty of plans, ins, who are back in kentucky..............

celioui

Jun 15, 2011
Car options in Santiago

First of all, you have made a great choice of a better peaceful life, and I am currently in the process of doing the same (starting with my residency).

I recommend that you compare the price difference between the cost of shipping your car (all quotes received equate to about 70% of the book value to ship and clear customs) and purchasing a car over there. The hassle to clear customs may not be worth the savings (if any)- just compare the 2 options.

The 2 most reputable dealers for the Santiago area are Espaillat Motors and Turin Motors in Moca (20 minutes from the Cibao airport). Whichever option you choose, make sure you include in your insurance plan an option called "Casa Del Seguro". It is basically an accident service center where the local traffic police (AMET) and insurance inspector/lawyer are found in case of an accident. Should you have the need to spend the night (due to a destroyed vehicle or your being at fault), the so-called jail cells are very decent rooms to spend a safe, quiet, and clean night.

By the way, what company will you be working for and in what capacity? Where is the company located in Santiago (if not confidential)?

Good luck and welcome

Last edited: