Inheritance title

Grisel17

Apr 30, 2011
I have a question re: inheritance. My mothers maternal family had a lawsuit over a land in 1994, which I was uninformed of until 2 weeks ago. The dispute was over a land my mothers' mother owned , which was left to her and to her other 2 siblings by her mother. Instead of the land being divided amongst all of my maternal grandmothers siblings, one of her siblings took it all.

My mother is currently deceased. I was just informed of the following:
  • The family won the lawsuit
  • All of my mothers siblings (5 )and/ or their children are entitled to the inheritance , as well as my gradmothers' sister and her grandchildren. My mother's name does not appear at all (and she is a legitimate child). She was never included as one of the inheritors when the lawsuit was created. There is no evidence that she was ever informed of this lawsuit or that she refused to be part of it. There are 16 inheritors of this land and they are my grandmother's children (5 out of the 6 excluding my mother) and 11 of her grandchildren (which do not include any of my mothers children).
  • The lawyer informed that there exists no title of inheritance (for the land) under my mother's name and therefore we will not be entitled to any of this inheritance.
Is this legal? Can I appeal this decision? The titles are bing distribruted in 2 days- will I even have a chance to legally contest this decision?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What Fabio means is that you cannot be disinherited in the Dominican Republic. You will need birth certificate.
If parents are surviving, the grandchildren do not inherit. Case in point: Land owner dies. One of his children had predeceased him. The surviving children and the two children of that son were the inheritors.

Clear?

Get a lawyer ASAP....

HB