Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Problem calling 849 area code

Is anyone else having problems calling from the US to a number in the DR that has the 849 area code??
    Maybe it is my cell phone company (Sprint)...
    I call several times, each time it says "wrong number or wrong area code" and the on the fourth or fifth time calling the same phone number, it finally goes through.
    I am not having this problem when calling 809 or 829 area codes - so that made me wonder if the problem was because it is an 849 area code.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

No Text messages go through either... says "landline"

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here - none of my text messages got through to the number. And I know it is a valid number, because sometimes it actually does connect for a while.

Anybody have any ideas about why??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

849 area code? I wasn't aware we had area codes. 809-829-849 My girls cell phone number starts 849 and I've just called her and it works from inside the country. Must be something your end.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes - no problems for calls to numbers that start with 849 from inside the country. But major problems when calling the number from the US - and no text messages are getting through.

Curious - what are the first three numbers called if not "area codes"?? 809, 829 and 849 are area codes for the Dominican Republic, unless there is a new name for the first three numbers ...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In the US, they are called area codes indeed (Anastacio is a Brit, which might explain the confusion, LOL ).

I guess you can call them country codes too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I call them phone numbers, and these are the first 3 numbers of the phone number. It isn't a code for a specific area so why would it be called such.
    'Whats the first three numbers' works for most I reckon.
    We do have area codes in the UK, but they are codes for a specific area, and calling them area codes is logical.

For the OP, have you tried calling an 829 or 809 number?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

OK - :-) I understand the confusion. I am used to "country codes" being when you have to add 11 (or some number similar) before the other 9 numbers... so I did not know what else to call those first three numbers other than area code.

But would still love to know if anybody has solved the problem of calling ot texting 849 numbers from the US...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We had the same issues when the 829 exchange first came out. It did get resolved over time. Report the issue to your carrier there, as the problem is not here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Anastacio,
    I agree with you about "first three numbers" - probably just a force of habit to call them "area codes" even though they cover the whole country.
    And yes, I have called and have not had any problems calling people with 809 or 829.
    It just seems strange that the US phone lines or cell towers would have so many problems recognizing the 849 number as real - because sometimes it does work, but most of the time a message comes on saying it is wrong...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast