Citizenship

web

Nov 5, 2005
Is this true what the guy Caribe posted in the Men are from Mars section?

I didn't mention that even though it's not specified in the Law, by the virtue of Law 1683, the Ministerio de Interior y Policia will process (within 2-3 months) an application for naturalization on the basis of his being married to a Dominican citizen. You don't need any fancy lawyer or any other shady "inside character" to facilitate this. It's the way they have been operating for some years.

Please advise

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I'd also like to see if this is actually bullpoo or just something I'd like to imagine. It does make me laugh that so many men would be penniless in months if this was the case. Fantastic Robin Hood tactics, take from the rich and give to the poor!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
First of all it would only apply to foreign women marrying Dominican men! Don't know if this will change in the future.

It might very well get processed in 2 to 3 months! The paperwork is very similar to regular residencia plus some extras, it just gets approval almost automatically. And of course there are fees. That is my understanding as described by a lawyer to me.

Caribe

May 11, 2011
Clarifying info

Is this true what the guy Caribe posted in the Men are from Mars section?

I didn't mention that even though it's not specified in the Law, by the virtue of Law 1683, the Ministerio de Interior y Policia will process (within 2-3 months) an application for naturalization on the basis of his being married to a Dominican citizen. You don't need any fancy lawyer or any other shady "inside character" to facilitate this. It's the way they have been operating for some years.

Please advise

Hey man, I called to confirm and it seems like my source lied to me (not intentionally, he just didn't know). They'll process any application for naturalization within 2-3 months (for the husband) AFTER he satisfies residency requirements.

Residency requirements --- temporal residency + permanent residence ... the marriage makes no difference when it's a man who's married to the Dominican. Sorry for posting that wrong info. That's the reason it was removed.

Also, the new immigration laws passed in 2004 (but not yet in force) make it even tougher.

Sorry,

Caribe