Has anyone bought a pony here?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
We've had pigs and goats, we got rid as we are relocating, but a horse is a bit different. What is the score with buying a horse here.
In my mind I buy a horse (any idea of a good price, for a Skoda horse), ask pedro next door if it can graze on his land and give him a few pesos each month. I only need it to teach my daughter to ride and to take me to the shops and for days out away from the crazy girls I live with.
Anyone ever had a horse here?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Hi Anastacio,
In a former alto ego I had a farm and 'Gite Equestre' in the depths of rural France, and to be truthful, having a horse, or horses, is quite unlike looking after any other animal.
It is often described as man's greatest animal achievement and a good horse will always look after you provided you look after it. Moreso than a dog or any other animal I can think of.
You will actually talk with your horse. Believe me.

The country where one lives may have changed, but the needs of looking after a horse have not, and they are not terribly simple for the neophyte to grasp.
It is usually enough to let the horse(s) roam and eat whatever is available during the growing season but it tends to be a little more complicated than that.
I would heartily recommend that your lass join a riding club or group, which would also allow you to become familiar with horse riding and assist your daughter in becoming proficient.
Like most things,
Rent before you buy,
Understand the implications of your undertaking,
If you do buy;
Always look after your horse.

Ponys are horrid. Nasty, conniving and vicious. Get a proper Horse!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We had a pony one time.... it didn't like being alone in the field, so it would lie down and slither under the fence.

We were constantly retrieving it from traffic on the roadway.

As to the above "Vicious" comment ...... some will bite.!!

WW

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Ponys are horrid. Nasty, conniving and vicious. Get a proper Horse!

I think I would prefer to describe them as potentially 'naughty' rather than horrid but agree that a pony has a totally different mentality to that of a horse. They may just look like a smaller version of the same animal but nothing could be further from the truth!

Last edited: