Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Concerns of Dominicans

From today's news on DR1

Gallup poll: the biggest concerns

Dominicans have issued their verdict to Gallup pollsters on what they consider the top 12 concerns. The poll is published today in Hoy and is based on the perceptions of 1,200 citizens of voting age polled between 29-30 April. The list is as follows:

Inflation, rising cost of living: 65.7%
    Blackouts or lack of power: 46.4%
    Robberies, assaults, contract killings, crime in general: 46.2%
    Lack of jobs, unemployment: 42.8%
    Trafficking and consumption of drugs: 19.8%
    Lack of potable water: 16.1%
    Education in general: 13.4%
    Administrative corruption: 11.9%
    Waning moral values, inversion of moral values: 7%
    Foreign and domestic debt: 4.8%
    Deteriorating public services: 2.8%

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I'm not getting home sick anymore, I mean my desire to move back are every day farther but for vacations DR will be always great.

JJ

3. Likes Uglystorm liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Very predictable and understandable list. I sympathize. But they have their priorities wrong. Unless they make a big effort to improve of education and reduce corruption they won't solve their main worries.

Great improvements could be made in electricity supply, potable water and in reducing crime relatively easily if they had honest politicians and officials and an educated public. Inflation and unemployment would be harder nuts to crack as they are at the mercy of the world and regional economies.

But they are too uneducated and corrupt to realize that, so it will never happen.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bit of trouble understanding why inflation is so high.. I mean, salaries are not going up, 80% of the food is local.. sure, they are producing more food on fewer acres because they are using fertilizers.. and they have gone up.. and transport.

And for the blackouts.. what was the latest figure? what percentage of the population pays for electricity?

I would have thought that corruption and drugs and education would have been higher....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The concern over inflation is so high BECAUSE wages have not gone up and prices have. The average family can buy less and less. Local food needs to be shipped and that is adding to costs.

Blackouts are getting worse and worse. I live in a B circuit and we were out over 10 hours yesterday alone. Seriously ridiculous.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch this sad video...
    <iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AIBJlx4A4Mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    This is the way our governments take care of the assets that belongs to the Dominican people, these auto buses were imported from Brazil recently but the bad administration and the lack of maintenance is the reason for what they are towed to junk yard today.

This should be one of the big DR concern.

JJ

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you see how prices of some very basic consumer goods and I include in that gas and fuel, are gone up dramatically and that wages haven't gone up, its not surprising that that is what most Dominicans put on their primary concern list. You are not pretty much "worried" about corruption and education if you have nothing to eat or no means to cook a warm meal (no money for gas so cooking has to be done on wood fire) and no money left to take a motoconcho who raised in some area's their prices also dramatically due to higher fuel prices so means that some people just cant move themselves anymore to go to work, still less income.
    Blackouts are getting worse in some area's and that adds to the feeling of being "unsafe".

I have seen families with a "reasonable" income if you can call it that, not IMO, drop down into real poverty in just a few months. The little bit of savings they had, had to be spend to keep life going on a daily basis. That little bit of savings was either a bit of money or natural products such as chickens or rabbits...all gone. What use has it to keep chickens and rabbits who will cost you money to feed them if you don't have the money to feed them and you are going hungry. The "income" from those natural sources being either the eggs or selling some adult rabbits for consumption are gone as well now of course.

9. Likes Ken liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acira View Post
    If you see how prices of some very basic consumer goods and I include in that gas and fuel, are gone up dramatically and that wages haven't gone up, its not surprising that that is what most Dominicans put on their primary concern list. You are not pretty much "worried" about corruption and education if you have nothing to eat or no means to cook a warm meal (no money for gas so cooking has to be done on wood fire) and no money left to take a motoconcho who raised in some area's their prices also dramatically due to higher fuel prices so means that some people just cant move themselves anymore to go to work, still less income.
    Blackouts are getting worse in some area's and that adds to the feeling of being "unsafe".

I have seen families with a "reasonable" income if you can call it that, not IMO, drop down into real poverty in just a few months. The little bit of savings they had, had to be spend to keep life going on a daily basis. That little bit of savings was either a bit of money or natural products such as chickens or rabbits...all gone. What use has it to keep chickens and rabbits who will cost you money to feed them if you don't have the money to feed them and you are going hungry. The "income" from those natural sources being either the eggs or selling some adult rabbits for consumption are gone as well now of course.
    Acira, good post. To add to your list, because the price of medicine has gone up so much fewer Dominicans are going to the doctor. They figure there is no point because they can't afford to buy what the doctor prescribes. This has been a problem for some time, but each time medicine prices go up, the number who don't go to the doctor does, too.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Acira View Post

What you are seeing is largely a result of several dynamics:

• The decline in remittances due to lack of disposable income from Dominican immigrants in NA and Europe. The lower economic starta is usually hit first in economic downturns.
    • Increased costs, which have little to do with personal incomes. It has to do with increases in raw materials, shipping, fuel and energy costs across the board, especially with imported products.
    • The DR gubmint is much better at collecting taxes. This has caused many businesses to go under or be shut down by the gubmint causing folks to lose their income from non-payment of taxes. They cannot raise their prices.
    • Many large infrastructure projects which injected much cash into the local economy have been shut down until the gubmint has the funding to actually pay for them. I understand the IMF is saying "no new loans" until these projects are properly funded. I know of a large dam and a couple of new, huge road projects this has affected, and know some folks laid off without pay because of it.
    • Tourism on the North Coast is in the crapper and the entire area economy has suffered for it.
    All have been predicted here elsewhere, all were pooh-poohed and all have come true.
    To some it has not come as a surprise.

12. Likes mido, MikeFisher liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Very true Ken, medicines also have gone up quite which is another big hurdle to take for many people to even want to go to the doctor, indeed.

By just observing what is happening close to me in my neighborhood and with some Dominican families I get to know, it comes to no surprise to me what the OP stated in her original post.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast