Need help ASAP!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Well guys! I'm to my last hope here!

I have a Honda EU1000i inverter/generator that never let me down, ever! But somehow I can't get it to stay on after cycling it to start with robust pulls to the recoil rope.

I searched deep in the web and all they offer is advice on how not to store it for too long in between starts so that this will not happen. No data on what to do "after" it happens!

I removed the oil and gas, cleaned the stuff expected to get dulled or else and put in new oil with the highest octane gas I could find *even went to the length of adding some extra octane juice too. Still it won't stay on after the many tries and methods I employed!

I followed some guy's advice and left the throttle a bit open than the usual close position, another's and tilted the thing about 10 degrees, yet one more and poured some alcohol on the gas mix. All to no avail!

I neeeeeeed this thing to work! It's the only thing able to let me use my A/V high end equipment without worries in remote locations. We have a family outing to the "wild" this weekend and I "neeeeeeeeED" this once trusted "man's best friend" to work!

Exactly what I need to do for it to start working like always once again? I know already that not having it started for 4 months caused this, but I don't need the why it happen but how to fix the problem!

And yes! I did turn off the eco throttle option on the front panel just in case, as adviced by 99% of the web posters until today!

Given how many expats use alternative power solutions in the DR *with the electrical service problems as we'll know, I hope at least one owns a comparable model of this line from Honda (been told they all share the same technology, so pretty much what applies to one does it for the other).

I bought it using my commercial account and was told that my warranty from Honda covers only the first year on labor and parts for that sector!

Is there anything I'm missing do to here???

I'm handy with tools so don't fret about mechanical solutions that may work!:nervous:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suspect your jets are gummed up, allowing enough gas to start but not enough to run under any load.

Disassemble the carburetor and give the parts a good cleaning in some carb cleaner, paying special attention to the jet. You might want to peek at the fuel filter, could also be clogged with gunk.

Next time use some Sta-Bil when you plan on storing a gas motor for more than 30-45 days, and run it for a few minutes with the Sta-Bil in the fuel to get it into the fuel filter and jets.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Here I uploaded some pics of the generator with a view of the mechanical parts, and what I have at the moment as "tools" to deal with it!
We're heading to the wild here in Florida in one of those rare times that we manage to have the kids over and the adults free from work, all together for a whole weekend from DR... Needless to say this is my "work" shuttle from Santiago to Orlando biweekly, and tools are not really that many in this environment...

My sisters are arriving tomorrow, kids, grandkids, nephews and nieces on that same night and other half on the eve of Saturday, so time is short, short, shoooooort!

I checked for a rental but all they have will not cut it with electronics, or low noise enough to allow them to be used on close proximity to sleeping set ups...

My other two choices are to rip away the one I paid to have set up on our boat at the marina some three hours away, or buy a new (darned expensive!) one... So pretty much I have no choices here!

I'm mad with myself for allowing this to happen in the first place!!! I know better than that!

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I suspect your jets are gummed up, allowing enough gas to start but not enough to run under any load.

Disassemble the carburetor and give the parts a good cleaning in some carb cleaner, paying special attention to the jet. You might want to peek at the fuel filter, could also be clogged with gunk.

Next time use some Sta-Bil when you plan on storing a gas motor for more than 30-45 days, and run it for a few minutes with the Sta-Bil in the fuel to get it into the fuel filter and jets.

I'm on it!! Thanks!!!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I second Robert's advice - take apart the carbs and clean out all the jets with carb cleaner. Of course better yet would be to get a carb rebuild kit.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Just like Cobraboy said. How old is it? Does it run for at least 3-4 seconds? did you ever replaced or checked the spark plug?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"C'mon"Mr. "P", You Are A"Spin Doctor" Give ItA SPIN!!!

This IS YOUR DR!'Where they have EVERYTHING!
No great mechanics here?
Iguess we are in the "3"RD" WORLD after all!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Just like Cobraboy said. How old is it? Does it run for at least 3-4 seconds? did you ever replaced or checked the spark plug?

A bit over a year old...
It runs for a few seconds and then dies a miserable dead!
Checked the SP for space on the head and cleaned it up well too before placing it back on, as you can notice I left oil all over the unit in doing so (not the cleanest jobber if you catch my drift). Also I followed the instructions on the air filter cleanup and soaked enough with clean oil too.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
This IS YOUR DR!'Where they have EVERYTHING!
No great mechanics here?
Iguess we are in the "3"RD" WORLD after all!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm in Orlando Florida at the moment, not Santiago (but will be in two weeks again, and again, and again...):p

Believe me! If this was Santiago it wouldn't be the problem it was!

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Make sure the oil level is right. It has a low oil cut-off protection, which cuts off the engine or prevent to run it.
Sometimes the bad oil level sensor could cause this, since takes the wrong signal - or no signal at all.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
OK!
So I did what Robert said to do (Cobraboy) and I found an incredible piece of dried goo or whatever it is, stuck to the butterfly on the carburator (choke). I pried it off carefully and cleaned the space with some cotton swabs wet on carb cleaner.

Placed the whole thing back as I found it (minus the alien invader) took it to the balcony, started it and kept going like the first day I got it home!

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Thanks Robert I owe you a big favor! Thanks to all for the good advice too!

I can now rest a bit and stop drinking so much water (since can't longer drink liquor or much beer at all) to calm my worries!

Now I must clean the whole kitchen counter, as there's oil and gas practically everywhere one touches around!! LOL!!!

Amazing but it runs even quieter now than when it was new the first time I got it going!????

Could this had been there from the factory????

It's like hard goo or gunk in feeling it...

Thanks to all of you! That's what DR1 is for!!! LOL!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
zI agreed with Cobraboy's, Hun's and other's solutions...they have the HB seal of approval.
I used to have a 5.5KVA gasoling genset and carburator cleaning was par for the course.
You got good advice: Clean Carb. (that was real gum!!! You can smell it in old gasoline cans); clean filters; clean oil; clean plug.

I am sure that there will be no "next time" well done.

Ain't it great to have things work...

Good job. (Highest compliment a man can give another man)

HB

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
zI agreed with Cobraboy's, Hun's and other's solutions...they have the HB seal of approval.
I used to have a 5.5KVA gasoling genset and carburator cleaning was par for the course.
You got good advice: Clean Carb. (that was real gum!!! You can smell it in old gasoline cans); clean filters; clean oil; clean plug.

I am sure that there will be no "next time" well done.

Ain't it great to have things work...

Good job. (Highest compliment a man can give another man)

HB

What no kiss on the cheeks??? LOL!!

I wasn't aware of the multi-level needs for this little monster, but now I know!
I just got an e-mail back from my Honda dealer (where I got the inverter and contacted for service on this last Monday first), and they now changed their tune to labor not included but parts are with a 20% discount printable coupon for in-shop service close to me. They also offered a generous 50% discount if I wanted to trade for an EU2000i instead, with same day express shipping and the exchange sent back on the same delivery day.

After one starts to get older and "feel" the gravity pull more and more from the ground, one tends to love lighters things! I'm going to stick with this one I have and follow the advice to avoid future failures like earlier.

Now the question is: Should I have a shop do the maintenance work or I can do it with simple tools, and not much more experience on this type of machines? I can drain, change the oil and gas, clean and re-oil the filter, check the gap, clean or replace the spark plug and now clean the carburetor as it should be. Is it there more to the maintenance requirements that I'm not aware to or should not attempt myself?:laugh:

:bandit: Done with the kitchen clean up!

Now must do the bath vanity area too!:(

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no waldo, no maintenance company needed,
as You prooved that You can do the needed stuff all yoruself at home in the Kittchen,
maybe next time do it on a ole Table outside the house, ha ha.
Oil Level is the first thing to check, as the biests have a sensor which shut's them down in case the sensor says"Oil Missing", to check if the sensor itself it the prob simply short cut the sensor(a mechanic in Santiago would hav edone that test as the first action, lol).
clean the Carburator and Filters and the Sparkplug, or better replace them, don't forget to fuel the Baby, and it will always Run.

the better Solution:
USE IT ONCE IN a WHILE,
the woest for a Engine is simply to not be used/started/warmed Up for months.
use it frequently and cleaning the filters once in a while and replacing the Spark every 2 years will be the only things to do, without messing up with the Mrs's Kittchen Cleaniness.

Mike

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Sta Bil

Is it available at auto supply places here, haven't seen it......and need some. Thx....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Is it available at auto supply places here, haven't seen it......and need some. Thx....
Good question!

Can someone drop into maybe Ochoa or Americana and see if either stocks it?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
no waldo, no maintenance company needed,
as You prooved that You can do the needed stuff all yoruself at home in the Kittchen,
maybe next time do it on a ole Table outside the house, ha ha.
Oil Level is the first thing to check, as the biests have a sensor which shut's them down in case the sensor says"Oil Missing", to check if the sensor itself it the prob simply short cut the sensor(a mechanic in Santiago would hav edone that test as the first action, lol).
clean the Carburator and Filters and the Sparkplug, or better replace them, don't forget to fuel the Baby, and it will always Run.

the better Solution:
USE IT ONCE IN a WHILE,
the woest for a Engine is simply to not be used/started/warmed Up for months.
use it frequently and cleaning the filters once in a while and replacing the Spark every 2 years will be the only things to do, without messing up with the Mrs's Kittchen Cleaniness.

Mike

That sounds great! I'm now confident that this will never, never, never repeat again! I'll carry out the needed maintenance to keep it at 100% every month!

The oil stuff I knew and became familiar with after it shut down once when using it extensively, without checking the oil level first as prompted in the user's manual. That's how I learned to do quick lubes on these babies while hot!

About the significant other halve and the kitchen? This is mine! All mine bwahahahaha! *At least when she's not here with me.... Sisters just arrived early today and as of now are busy, busy, busy cleaning the apartment that "supposedly" I just spent the whole yesterday's night "cleaning">!>

Women can find dirt and grime in odd places! Like under the appliances and stuff you would never think of checking for! Who knew that toasters had a hidden compartment where all the bits got collected and needed to be emptied weekly??? Not me! Or that the back of PC monitors were the breeding grounds for dust bunnies? Not me! Heck! I didn't know that upright lamp shades MUST be cleaned by taking them apart and washing them in the sink! Most certainly not me!

But hey! That's why Mom and Dad gave me six sisters for! LOL!! Shhhhh!!! Don't repeat outloud!

Funny thing is that when the other half gets here, she too will find more grime and odd stuff that was left "unclean"...

I didn't start the inverter for so long due to the rules in the complex where I rented, most are 50+ and not too fond of having a crazed Dominican firing up a gasoline powered whatever in the balcony... I try to get along with my old farts as much as I can, being that they're superb house burglar alarms (with dirty Harry's 6 1/2in .44 mag to kick) and oustanding jump start volunteers (I think that I moved into the ACME portable Car Battery Booster's retirement complex, where every retired worker got a free one on their good-bye basket of goodies).:laugh: