Cocaine & The Dominican Economy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was recently looking at the new Drugs Report from the United Nations and have reached a very interesting conclusion on the amount of wealth that the Dominican economy receives from drug trafficking. First, a few facts:

In 2008 (the most recent year for which data is available) the international Cocaine market was estimated at US$88 billion (roughly the size of the Dominican economy on PPP). The market has been on a steady decline since the 1980s when it was worth over US$130 billion.

The US Cocaine market is valued at US$35 billion and is on a steady and steep decline. Of that figure, gross profits are distributed in the following ways:

85% (US$29.8 billion) stays in the US.
1.5% (US$500 million) goes to Coca farmers in the Andean countries (Colombia, Ecuador, Peru & Bolivia.)
1% (US$400 million) goes to narcotraffickers in the Andean countries.

The most important figure for the DR is the 13% (US$4.6 billion) that goes to narcotraffickers that ship the product from Colombia/Venezuela to the US.

My estimate of the amount of money the Dominican economy directly receives from this activity is deducted from the following facts:

The US consumes 165 metric tons of Cocaine. However, 71% of all the Cocaine that reaches North America is trafficked via Central America/Mexico while only 29% is trafficked via the Caribbean islands. In monetary terms this translates to US$3.3 billion is injected into the economies of Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica & Panama. The Caribbean islands collectively receive US$1.3 billion.

The Dominican Republic, assuming that the proportion relative to the Caribbean total of Cocaine confiscated (34%) is indicative of the Dominican participation in the Cocaine trade; then the DR receives as a minimum US$455 million (0.8% of Dominican GDP.) Maximum probably is closer to US$800 million (1.5% of GDP), but this last figure is only a guess.

Source: www.unodc.org/en/data-and-analysis/WDR-2010.html

Feb 7, 2007
NALs, the billions you mention is revenue generated, not a net profit, right? So the amount of money would be reduced equivalently by the "cost" of doing business, and buying the "merchandise" form the one-step-before supplier.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The only flaw I see is assuming that all or even a majority portion of the proceeds from trafficked drugs is dispensed to the local communities through which it is trafficked. I expect the reality is most of the money for these goods still goes to the producers of the drug and a minor percentage goes to the traffickers who then will spend their money in the local economies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can see where a lot of this may well be true. The times of Quirino Paulino Castillo ( the Army captain that was shipping 1387 kilos of coke to La Vega for transhipment to the US--chaperoned by a Police Major no less..name of Nin,,,,hummm and Agosto's wife is also a Nin....hummm any connection there??? Gee, I just don't know...oh well back to the post) are long gone. Quirino was paid in money to do the transshipping and now they are supposedly paying in "product"...ie, coke. Which means that thay had to create a coke market here among the "fast and furious" crowd and the poor of the barrios, and at 8:1 the profits, even in DOP$ funny-money is huge and therefore a major impact on the economy.

Second, guys like the Spaniard that was shipping 1000kgs of coke (maybe as much as 3000kgs.) a month to Spain pocketed, literally, billions of pesos, and put them into properties--the tower Atiemar???? Gee, ever wonder who bought those million dollar plus apartments??? Or who really built the place???

So, while the market is shrinking, there is a goodly amount of money circulating here, for sure, because nobody here has the money or the balls to really investigate the origin of all these apartment towers that have been built, amen some of these "malls"....Hey, there is a guy not yet 35 who has a billion pesos in property along just a kilometer of Juan Pablo Duarte Ave in Santiago!!! He must be one he!! of a great engineer!!

And just think how simple this would be:
You have a building with exact dimensions and well known costs.
How was it paid for?
There are few institutions that can make loans that size
Check the bank's papers
No papers?
"How did you pay for this?
No answer?
Jailed and building seized.
But don't hold your breath...in fact, you might be living in one of them!!

Another facet: The coke money is now competing with money from administrative corruption (it has to go some place!!)...and the corruption money is driving the coke money away...

By the way, since the death of Trujillo, the sharks off the Malecon are going hungry,,,,we really should protect the species.....hint, hint.

HB

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have no idea of the exact number, nobody does. But no smoke without fire right?

You speak to just about any middle to upper class Dominican here and many will tell you they think that dirty money has been responsible in part for the construction boom. The source of the dirty money is not just drugs, but as HB posted, also Government corruption.

I have lost count the amount of stories I have heard... Duffle bags full of money to buy construction materials. Well organized network of couriers to wash and repatriate the money. Builders offering to help wash the money if it's dirty when buying a condo etc.

I have a friend that lives in a very nice 8 floor building in Naco. It has 16 apartments and 3 of the those are not occupied as the owners are in jail on drugs charges.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
NALSs, another flaw is that it's not just the US that drugs flowing through the DR go to. It's also Europe.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
@Cobraboy: I initially excluded the European figures because according to the UNODC report, the Caribbean plays a very small part in that trade. Most of the Cocaine is shipped directly from Venezuela and via western Africa. However, I managed to calculate US$133 million for the whole Caribbean. The DR accounts for 5% of that (based on source of cocaine seized in Europe: http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/Studies/Transatlantic_cocaine_market.pdf). The total would amount to US$462 million entering the DR from both the US and Europe markets; a mere 0.8% of nominal GDP or 0.5% on the basis of PPP.

@Robert: I know what the rumors are, but I've been investigating this for quite some time and it appears that the rumors are based on not much substance. Judging from the way the construction sector reacts vis-a-vis market forces (ie. fluctuation of the interest rates, price of construction per square meter and location of type of projects, sales fluctuations depending on market conditions, etc); it very much gives the impression that profit maximizing is still the driving force. That is contrary to what would happen in a sector dominated or even significantly influenced by illicit funding. Even the profit margins have remain quite stable through the years.

Even when we look at total private investment in the sector, it simply doesn't match with the rumors.

In 2009, the latest year for which data is available, total private investment in apartments and towers was almost US$254 million nationwide. That accounts for 79% of all investment in construction. (Oficina Nacional de Estad?stica (ONE) :: Las estad?sticas del sector de la construcci?n tienen como prop?sito generar informaciones oportunas y confiables requeridas por los usuarios, facilit?ndoles el acceso a las mismas, as? como el an?lisis y la e)

@Hillbilly: According to the findings by the UNODC report, the % of the population between 15 and 64 years that consumes the drug is as follows:

Spain 3.0
USA 2.6
Canada 1.9
Panama 1.2
Puerto Rico 0.8
DR 0.3

The Dominican figure amounts to roughly 17,000 people. Taking the US data of 5.4 million users and a market of US$35 billion, that would average about US$6,500 per person. Since the DR's per capita GDP in purchasing power parity is 18% of the US, we can assume that average Dominican consumption could be US$1,170 per person, giving the DR a potential market of US$20 million.

That's quite negligible compared to the estimates for other nearby markets: Puerto Rico US$49 million, Panama US$47 million, etc.

Conclusion, the data doesn't lives up to the hype.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Correction: In the response to Cobraboy, the figure I meant to post was the following:

The DR accounts for 71% of the Caribbean 'connection' to Europe (US$94 million). The total would amount to US$549 million entering the DR from both the US and Europe markets; a mere 1.0% of nominal GDP or 0.6% on the basis of PPP.