Renting scooter

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
Hello,

Thanks for all responses for my previos questions.

I'm thinking about renting a scooter to move inside towns and between towns on the north coast (A want to see towns from Puerto Plata to Nagua) and I have few questions:

1. My driving license is only B category (cars only), is it acceptiple in DR for 50cc scooters?
Or I shouldn't care about driving license for scooter at all?

2. Is it easy to rent a scooter in any small town like Rio San Juan or Cabrera or should I rent it in Puerto Plata or Sosua?

3. Am I right that I can rent a scooter without credit card and without giving my passport as deposit?
(just give $100-200 as deposit)

4. Should I involve lawyer for renting a scooter?

Upiter

Dec 13, 2010
May be my questions are too long.
Do I need to have driver's license for 50cc scooters in fact?

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Not many Dominicans or Gringos have one.
I have only ever been asked for insurance certificate and ID or ID copy.

You will find it difficult to rent without passport or credit card.

If you have connection with good hotel may be possible through their agency/associate.

Too many gringos have stolen these vehicles.

Y

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You will get one in Sosua, if you drive up to Cayote Bar there is a repair station there. They will rent you one if you leave a deposit or your passport. Failing that, there is a German bar on the corner of Casa Marina hotel, can't remember the name, but he has a contact that will rent on the same basis and is a lot more reliable, well, he is European, a big fat bloke who works on the boats, can't remember hsi name but he's a nice enough guy. Pop in, have a word.

Do you hae a death wish?
I have been 32 times to the DR and am hesitant to rent any motorized vehicle.
Hire a driver.
On a scooter you only have 1 chance.

images

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hello,

Thanks for all responses for my previos questions.

I'm thinking about renting a scooter to move inside towns and between towns on the north coast (A want to see towns from Puerto Plata to Nagua) and I have few questions:

1. My driving license is only B category (cars only), is it acceptiple in DR for 50cc scooters?
Or I shouldn't care about driving license for scooter at all?
This should not be a problem

2. Is it easy to rent a scooter in any small town like Rio San Juan or Cabrera or should I rent it in Puerto Plata or Sosua?
Yes it is easy and easier than other places
3. Am I right that I can rent a scooter without credit card and without giving my passport as deposit?
(just give $100-200 as deposit)
Never give you passport or license
4. Should I involve lawyer for renting a scooter?
Shouldn't be necessary

See above (if it worked

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What's your motorcycling experience where you come from?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Renting a Scooter to go between the towns of Sosua, Puerto Plata, Rio SJ and Cabrera, please make me the beneficiary of your life insurance as you are sure to get bumped off. For you to go out on the highway with a Scooter is suicidal. You will also find the cost to rent one is about the same as renting a car. Please don't do it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I wouldn't be caught dead on a scooter, especially on this island.
I hear you, but I would...with the following caveats:

• The rider is a highly experienced, trained and licensed rider.
  • The rider has a deep understanding of how Dominican traffic actually works.
  • The rider wear appropriate riding gear: full-faced helmet W shield, padded/abrasion resistant jacket and pants, full finger gloves and over-the-ankle leather boots.
  • The scooter is at least 125cc's.
  • The scooter has large diameter wheels and fat tires.
Answer "no" to ANY of those, and yes, you are making a serious, life-threatening mistake.