Yo?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I have been teaching I & I (interview and interrogation) since the last century to both state/local and Federal LEOS. One transnational/language indicator of deception is answering a question with a question. It is a defensive response intended to give time to the subject to invent an answer. But in the DR the question would you like to go to the movies is invariably answered with "YO" ? Or if one says I will pick you up at three it is invariably answered with "En el tarde" well obviously not in the madrugada so WHY???

Last edited:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
En la tarde,it should be. Por que'? Yo no se':) Maybe the transnational indicator is faulty and doesn't apply to all nations? Just a thought.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is a fairly common cultural phenomenon and my wife is the ultimate expert as I can't ever get a straight answer out of her even though she's not being deceiving (generally hehe). It appears to me Dominicans like to be very precise when they are speaking and I can only assume it is considered a sign of perceived education and sophistication.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I have observed this as well. Often (early on) I thought - yes you stupid who else is in the room talking with us????? OR what do you think - of course en la tarde ...... Then I realized it just seems to be their way.