What is the best breed of dog to have in the DR & Why?

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
well
the one with the shortest hair or no wrinkles( fleas and or ticks)sweating could be an issue
I am bringing a mastiff/boxer short hair, little wrinkles
and a maltipoo
lots of hair poor thing
she came with clippers lol
Manu

Manu

Dec 21, 2008
My Opinion

When Mr Silver Fox and I came to the DR, we brought our two "kids" with us...one is a lahso apso/maltese cross (spoiled rotten boy but needs regular hair cuts so I brought clippers with us), the other is corgi/collie...a hairy thing that is also getting hair cuts to keep him cool.

So, once we got here, we encouraged our boys to "bark"...but they would lick you to death before anything else. They are NOT guard dogs in any sense of the word.

We have taken in a Dominican street type dog. She is absolutely FANTASTIC!! She is loyal, incredibly smart and has the makings of a great guard dog. She sheds little, tolerates the heat very, very well. She also gets along very well with the other two dogs and seems to love the cat without hurting her.

I would encourage anyone looking for a dog, please adopt if it is within your means. There are so many dogs that need homes.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it would seem that hair can work in their favour here - chows are very popular and very hairy, I think the air in the fluffy hair must keep them cooler - some dogs with little hair can get sunburnt if they have pink skin, mine used to get a heat rash in the uk

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I have a miniature pinscher.

Why? Because I love him.

Others have mentioned guard dogs.... Since I would never live in a place where I FELT unsafe, a guard dog was not a priority.

Consider you available space and time to play and socialize your dog. Then find a dog that captures your heart

May 5, 2007
well
the one with the shortest hair or no wrinkles( fleas and or ticks)sweating could be an issue
I am bringing a mastiff/boxer short hair, little wrinkles
and a maltipoo
lots of hair poor thing
she came with clippers lol
Manu

Manu

Actually a Brachycephalic dog such as a Boxer is one of the breeds least able to tolerate high temperatures, and sweating?

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I second the viralata (street dog) suggestion. Please consider adopting in the Dominican Republic. There are many street dogs in need of a home. As mentioned, they are loyal, strong against disease and loving. I adopted my dog and she has been my best friend for years.

There are a couple shelters to adopt on the north coast (Sosua, Cabrera) and one in Santo Domingo Padela - Dominican Republic