Magic Jack in DR?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
This thing was a massive hit a while back but for some reason I see more and more people fading away from the wonder of Jack and moving onto other units/gadgets.
From my understanding you don't even need a landline to use this, just be online, plug it in and have a handset. Seems so much easier than some of the stuff I'm finding impossible to get my mind around.
Anyway, I'm taking advice and going to start a new venture with this through the simple lack of commitment involved in comparrissom to other things, see how it goes.

So do you still use it, what you make of it, why did the magic jacks big splash, only create small ripples in the end?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, I have had two Magic Jacks over the last two years and they both performed well but not perfectly. The first one was a gift from a buddy and it worked ok until the subscription ran out. I then bought one on the mainland for $20 USD and it has done well. Sometimes you have to hang up and try again to get a better connection. I do not know why they are not more popular. Good Luck

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I am still an avid magic jack user and it works like a charm to call home from the DR. I connect my cordless phone base to my laptop and walk around the apartment talking. When I want video, I use skype.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife has one in her school, her brother has one at home, as do we. Any phone call in Canada or USA free. Magic Jacks at he school and Jose Luis have NYC numbers and thus are free to call to also.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i meant you can only phone usa or canada with it

You can call the USA and Canada for free, you can also call anywhere in the world for a cheap price. You need to put money in your account with a credit card to do this.

I have used MJ for years, all over the world. All you need is a broadband connection and a PC.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mine works perfectly in Santo Domingo, and even better up in Puerto Plata, using a Claro stick. When I get out into the campo it's not so great, but still works, the connection is just occasionally garbled a bit.

Worth every cent

AE

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Majic Jack is like, trix for kids, good for a while but better choices prevail.

Free advice ..

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I had used MJ for the past two years with Banda Ancha. It worked well. But off late I am having some problem. I had tried every method. But they say some firewall blocking it. I am tired of solving it and switched to Google.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Why not just open a Gmail account and call unlimited anywhere to the States or Canada for free from the DR?

Bizguyeh

Dec 4, 2010
Google Talk

Why not just open a Gmail account and call unlimited anywhere to the States or Canada for free from the DR?

We've been using Google Talk from Cabarete for 6 months with free calls to the U.S. and Canada. Our internet speed is really slow, but it generally works very well. At times it is clearer than Skype with an account for Computer to land-line/cell calls in North America.