Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Dog shipping

  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dog shipping

    Has anybody shipped a dog lately?
    what the average price for the ticket?
    I know it depends on size,
    just need an idea
    Manu

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    From where?

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just to share with everyone. I called Delta, and they quoted me at $2300 for 2 dogs shipped as cargo using Giant kennels (Sky Kennels International Airline Approved Travel Dog Crates, ~ Sky Kennel, Giant #700, 2 Pack ( Nested, Boxed )). I also was in contact with aduanas in Santiago and here is what they emailed me...

    Los requisitos que necesita para deliverar lo perrito aqui en República Dominicana son

    1-Vacunación al dia

    1-Certificado de Salud de su veterinario

    Si, se los puede llevar enseguida cuando el personal de Sanidad Animal le llene los formularios correspondientes.

    Con los certificados aqui le proporcional un Zoosanitario para darle salida del aeropuerto.
    Despues que sanidad local aqui en el aeropuerto chequea los perritos y los permisos de ellos le proceden a hacer un documento que se llama Zoosanitario el cual certifica que los perritos fueron inspeccionados al momento de llegar al país.

    El costo de este formulario son US$15.00

    Tambien pagaría a la linea aqui un pago por concepto de retiro de documentos y almacenaje de US$60.00

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    2300$ is more than 2 adult tickets!

    coming from US
    thats insane
    Manu

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My last trip on AA was $150 each way..... #5 crate w/ a Boxer (55lbs.)
    It was MIA to SDQ.... but it doesn't matter - flat rate

    WestJet , in Canada, is $75 r/t - $50 1 way..... same dog, same deal

    Air Canada has a policy of 70lb max - kennel + dog...don't know the price b/c I'm over that limit

    Continental ships as Cargo... not checked luggage.
    So you need to drop off/pickup at the cargo terminal.... quite a pain.
    The DR to USA is about $350 each way for my situation
    CO is the considered the best in the business... direct hotline to track the dog, etc

    BUT..... here's the catch, the airlines have restricted times when no dogs are allowed as baggage.
    WestJet just told me this week..... they fly dogs Oct31 to May 1 for DR travel.
    They also have an embrgo at Xmas time... Dec18 to early Jan due to heavy passenger loads and baggage

    I'm in the middle of all this b/c my dog is in the DR... stuck w/ no exit plan at present.

    Hope that helps

    Bear in mind that not all airlines are pet friendly.... JetBlue, Spirit... nix

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    My last trip on AA was $150 each way..... #5 crate w/ a Boxer (55lbs.)
    It was MIA to SDQ.... but it doesn't matter - flat rate

    WestJet , in Canada, is $75 r/t - $50 1 way..... same dog, same deal

    Air Canada has a policy of 70lb max - kennel + dog...don't know the price b/c I'm over that limit

    Continental ships as Cargo... not checked luggage.
    So you need to drop off/pickup at the cargo terminal.... quite a pain.
    The DR to USA is about $350 each way for my situation
    CO is the considered the best in the business... direct hotline to track the dog, etc

    BUT..... here's the catch, the airlines have restricted times when no dogs are allowed as baggage.
    WestJet just told me this week..... they fly dogs Oct31 to May 1 for DR travel.
    They also have an embrgo at Xmas time... Dec18 to early Jan due to heavy passenger loads and baggage

    I'm in the middle of all this b/c my dog is in the DR... stuck w/ no exit plan at present.

    Hope that helps

    Bear in mind that not all airlines are pet friendly.... JetBlue, Spirit... nix
    Can you give me more info on the crate you used? Link where I can maybe purchase one? How tall was your dog? $150 sounds very good, was that via carry on or cargo?

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lisagauss View Post
    Can you give me more info on the crate you used? Link where I can maybe purchase one? How tall was your dog? $150 sounds very good, was that via carry on or cargo?
    TravelAire if I recall.... #5 is a good sized kennel.
    It goes as checked baggage,,,,, you get prefered check in...VIP treatment and the dog goes off.
    They come off the plane first.... very handy.

    Travel Aire Kennel Carriers for Dogs - Dog - Web Exclusive - PetSmart

    Sizes are here

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    TravelAire if I recall.... #5 is a good sized kennel.
    It goes as checked baggage,,,,, you get prefered check in...VIP treatment and the dog goes off.
    They come off the plane first.... very handy.

    Travel Aire Kennel Carriers for Dogs - Dog - Web Exclusive - PetSmart

    Sizes are here
    When you say you get prefered check in, VIP treatment, you mean from which airline?
    Also, those crates are very small for my situation.

  9. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lisagauss View Post
    When you say you get prefered check in, VIP treatment, you mean from which airline?
    Also, those crates are very small for my situation.
    Buy him a first class seat on AMR.

  10. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    With dogs, you go to the front of the line.... no waiting.... I got it w/ all of them I have used - AA, WestJet
    Crates go bigger.... mine is #5.... they go to #7 don't they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •