Going to the usa

hawaiintropic

May 16, 2011
Hi,
does anyone know the answer to this question please, im English and my boyfriend is half dominican/american holding an american passport. We are living in the DR but want to go to the states to work, he can i can't. if we get married will i be entitled to a work visa or green card straight away? we don't want to be apart.
Thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Marriage is not as high a priority on the Green Card list as it used to be.....in theory, yes, marriage will get you resident status, but it can take a couple of years.

M.Hernandez

Guzman Ariza/Malcolm Cisneros
Dec 22, 2010
Obtaining Permanent Residence in the United States

Hi,
does anyone know the answer to this question please, im English and my boyfriend is half dominican/american holding an american passport. We are living in the DR but want to go to the states to work, he can i can't. if we get married will i be entitled to a work visa or green card straight away? we don't want to be apart.
Thanks

Good morning,

You have many options in order to achieve your goal which is to be able to work in the United States. Although the K-1 visa will allow you to enter the US temporarily in order to wed and then proceed to the green card process, I would not suggest this option since it will only allow you 90 days in which to complete this task and then you would be required to proceed with the permanent residency petition instead of simply completing the process in the DR and going into the states ready to work. If your goal is to come into the US and immediately be able to work, I would go with the marriage visa & K-3 visa. The current processing time is roughly between 7-8 months.

The process would be as follows:

1. Wed your American boyfriend in the DR.

2. Gather all required documents in order to submit the Immediate Relative Petition (I-130 $420.00 US dollars) which will commence the process.

This petition takes approximately 5 months to get approved.

3. Upon approval of the I-130 petition, US Citizenship & Immigration Services (Immigration Office) will forward it to the National Visa Center.

4. The National Visa Center will collect all ORIGINAL documents and fees for the Permanent Residence Petition. Upon successfully making the required payment ($492.00 US Dollars) and submitting all documents. The NVC will send your petition to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo for your interview.

This stage usually takes 1-2 months depending on your efficiency in gathering and submitting the
required documents

5. The US Embassy in Santo Domingo will send you an interview notice. At the interview you will be provided with a final decision on your case. If your case is approved, you will receive your Conditional Green Card authorization in approximately two weeks.

6. You will be able to enter the US and begin working immediately.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, comments or concerns. It would be my pleasure to answer them.

Maria De La Luz Hernandez, Esq.
Immigration Attorney