Best stores for UK food stuff?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
A bit of a lame question but I'm missing a few loves of mine, Branston pickle being the main one. I never see UK foodstuff anywhere, anyone got a secret store with any good goodies from the UK?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It's a killer, under the weather a bit and could just eat Branston and cheese sandwiches on real soft bread for the duration. I hope someone has come across this stuff somewhere!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
we have it all on the north coast . but at a premium

What kind of stores? are these foreign or are they native making an easy buck?

I really don't care about price, I'd happily pay 5 times the usual rate for a slice of heaven!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've tried that Branston recipe, or something similar, and it didn't turn out too bad. Although one thing that was difficult to substitute was the malt vinegar, which seems really hard to find here. I have tried most of the vinegar selections that the local supermarkets stock, but nothing seems as tart as malt vinegar.

I've also made my own salad cream which is dead easy to make.

City market in Sosua now stock loads of English goodies, including Branston pickle and Sarson's malt vinegar. I think their prices are very reasonable.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
City Market outside Sosua is indeed the place. Cant confirm the Branstons but i think they have it. They certainly have bovril and even pataks curry paste at around ?5/jar! Oh, and hobnobs...not the chocolate ones though :(

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Brilliant, best thread I've come across so far. Up to now I've had to buy through the internet either through Amazon.com or Britsuperstore near Dover. Britsuperstore is oddly quicker than Amazon but the transport prices from Miami are ferocious. I've just had to pay over RD$ 4000 for 24 tins of Heinz Means Beans and a pot of Branston. Could you please post the Web page and/or telephone number of City Market. I can then find out if they'll ship via Caribe, Metro or guagua to either Las Terrenas or Sanchez. Either way they won't be more expensive than the internet freight prices.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Branston 183 RD$ per jar, Heinz Baked Beans 99 RD$ per tin - and in stock now? Anastacio you will just have to hop on the bus and come up here! It has really changed while you have been away!

Olly

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Brilliant, best thread I've come across so far. Up to now I've had to buy through the internet either through Amazon.com or Britsuperstore near Dover. Britsuperstore is oddly quicker than Amazon but the transport prices from Miami are ferocious. I've just had to pay over RD$ 4000 for 24 tins of Heinz Means Beans and a pot of Branston. Could you please post the Web page and/or telephone number of City Market. I can then find out if they'll ship via Caribe, Metro or guagua to either Las Terrenas or Sanchez. Either way they won't be more expensive than the internet freight prices.

Just for the record, Heinz is an American company... And their baked beans are on the shelves here in SD. I will check on the price for you when I go there next.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
hp sauce is quite often available in santo domingo (nacional and la placita are the last places i saw it, not sure if there is any left). last batch was about a month past expiration date, when i bought a couple of bottles at rd$119.99.

bovril may still be available in pola (lope de vega). that is a bit pricey, almost rd$300 for a medium sized jar. they keep moving it around to different aisles for some reason.

bottles of extra strength guinness are probably still available in carrefour (sometimes find the other odd thing of interest there)

there are ordinary digestives and other sorts of uk biscuits in most places. pola (lope de vega) did have some plain chocolate digestives one time. i think they came from jamaica. there are some german biscuits which are exactly the same as hob-nobs, if i remember correctly.

i have never seen heinz baked beans in santo domingo. perhaps there are, but i have never seen them, other types of american style baked beans are available, plus those campbell's pork and beans. heinz is an american co., but everyone knows that their brand of baked beans has to come from the uk.

just remembered...... in the chinatown area, you can see the odd uk food stuffs in their supermarkets. lucozade is one i particularly remember.