FedEx, you gotta be kidding me!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is nothing new to those that have lived here for a while, but it's amazing that even some of the best and most efficient organizations on the planet can have issues in the DR :)

May 6: I had a package shipped to me International Priority and it landed in the DR, May 9.

No problem, shouldn't take long to arrive, after all, it's only a hard drive, so customs shouldn't be an issue. I waited a few days and nothing happened, watched it online, no movement, still flagged as "Clearance Delay".

May 13: Decided to call FedEx locally. Phone lines busy, problems, nobody picking up, I gave up.
I left it another day, still no change, flagged as "Clearance Delay".

May 14: I called FedEx in the USA. Within 2 mins they emailed me a form and told me I needed to fax it to the local office in Santo Domingo. No problem. Actually it was a problem, fax number is always busy!

May 16: Still no movement. Phoned local office, phone lines busy, problems, nobody picking up, I gave up.

May 17: FedEx locally called me. Told me they have located my package in customs and I need to pay to get it out. They gave me two options.

1) Go to the airport and do it yourself, pick up your package.
2) FedEx can take care of it and deliver it to you, 7-10 day wait.

At this point I reminded the girl that they have been paid to deliver it International Priority to my door.
It's been 10 days and I still haven't seen my package.

I asked why it takes 7-10 days? We are very busy, sorry, what would you like us to do, option 1 or 2?

At this point, I realized it was time to raise my voice, tell her what a piece of crap FedEx are and basically keep talking over the top of her Dominican style. After about a minute of this she finally broke down.

I'll talk to my boss, please hold on... 2 mins later. We will deliver it tomorrow!

Let's see if it comes true :)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well at least you will get your money back for the delivery cost with Fed-Ex. I've gone DHL this time, never had a problem with Fed-Ex before, but DHL have become cheaper. Lets hope I don't have any of the same, seems Fed-Ex can't cope this end eh!!
Good luck tomoz!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have had good service in this country with UPS, at a better rate also. EPS uses them a lot.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Robert,

PJT hopes you will receive the hard drive soon.

Regardless if and when you receive it you should follow up with FedEX about this situation as their higher ups need to know how all their operatives work. It seems the Santo Domingo operation is overwhelmed and sometimes the matter is left unreported.

If you really want to get the attention of FedEx send an entire copy of this thread to their International Customer Service in the US. It will open some eyes.

The least they can do is to refund to you the difference in the tariff from International Priority to that International Economy. However, you will not get a break on customs.

The fact is they did not make a reasonable effort to get your shipment to you. The red flags to the matter are the unanswered phone calls and the unavailability of their fax machine to receive your form. A well set up office would allow phone calls unanswered in-house after x amount of rings to be forwarded to a backup site, the same for the fax.

The address for FedEX customer service is:

FedEx Customer Relations
3875 Airways, Module H3 Department 4634
Memphis, TN 38116
USA

Regards,

PJT

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
JD, sometimes you gotta learn the hard way :(

I will write to them and post their response here.

When you absolutely, positively need it over night, you're fu$%ed!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to say "Me too!" and I never used them again.

If you call their number you get Mexico!!! Like their office here in town is two blocks away from my house and I have to talk to someone in Mexico?>?? No Way...bye bye FEDEX...

HB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Arrrgh, you have put a hex on me Rob. I was excited last night as everything was going to plan. Left UK 4.15 on tuesday and was in Barbados at 7pm last night, got up today to check on the progress and expected it to be in DR, and has gone, Barbados, Venezuela (sort office), Panama, Venezuela (sort office), money on whether they can get it right this time!!

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Haven't had to use FedEx or UPS or DHL... in more than a decade. But be aware UPS used to be the absolute worst throughout the Caribbean isles for delivery to a private person (i.e., not an account), DHl somewhat OK, and Fed Ex was fabulous, friendly and fast.

Just goes to show you how things can change. Time for renewal at FedEx org. Help 'em out by writing letters to their CEO swearing off their &H$##^ service forever and signing "CEO of xxxxxx".

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I just got off the phone to FedEx and nothing has changed. They are going to call me back later today.

13 days and counting. FedEx you suck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
rOBERT: This got me thinking of my last encounter with Fed Ex. I think that it is quite possible that the item in question has been retained by Aduanas for payment of duties. As a result Fed Ex no longer controls its whereabouts.

I get the feeling that you are going to be stuck either for paying duty on the hard drive or will have to go to the Aduana and fight. What happened in my case was that the idiot that sent me some cigar rings said, on the shipping invoice mind you, that the rings were worth1,230 dollars!! Of course Aduanas saw this and impounded them and wanted nearly that much in fees!! No matter what I did, there was no way that I could get them released. I ended up leaving them there!

I do hope this does not happen to you. At least, if you discover that the people that shipped the hard drive to you put a price over $200, you will know who to blame.

You could then wait for one of the auctions...and get it back that way...

What a mess Fed Ex has become!!

HB

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
rOBERT: This got me thinking of my last encounter with Fed Ex. I think that it is quite possible that the item in question has been retained by Aduanas for payment of duties. As a result Fed Ex no longer controls its whereabouts.

I get the feeling that you are going to be stuck either for paying duty on the hard drive or will have to go to the Aduana and fight. What happened in my case was that the idiot that sent me some cigar rings said, on the shipping invoice mind you, that the rings were worth1,230 dollars!! Of course Aduanas saw this and impounded them and wanted nearly that much in fees!! No matter what I did, there was no way that I could get them released. I ended up leaving them there!

I do hope this does not happen to you. At least, if you discover that the people that shipped the hard drive to you put a price over $200, you will know who to blame.

You could then wait for one of the auctions...and get it back that way...

What a mess Fed Ex has become!!

HB

I'm aware of Aduanas, this is part of the problem on the FedEx side.
The drive is worth more than US$200, this is not a problem, I expected to pay fees.

But..

FedEx never contacted me like they should when a package needs to pay duty.

FedEx locally never pick up the phone or appear to have a working fax #, despite being told by FedEx in the USA to fax them on a specific number.

FedEx locally told me they are busy right now and it would take up to 10 days to deliver it to me.
They said it would be better if I went to the airport and picked up my package, would only take 5 mins.

I spoke to FedEx in the USA today and they told me they have no reason why I don't have my package, but they will chase it.

The BS continues....

Regardless of customs, delays or the price of eggs. FedEx has been paid to ship International priority a small package and deliver it to me in a timely manner. Tomorrow is day 14 and that's not acceptable, so I will continue to bad mouth them, continue to hassle them and will continue to write to them.

Will it get my package any quicker, probably not, but if it turns people away from using them, then that makes me happy :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Robert, your mistake is not sending it by BS, instead of Fedex. (Badpiece Shipping). I use this service all the time, and it never fails to deliver.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's all pile on Robert!! He did not use HB Express either, They may take a while but they deliver!!

It is as I suspected. Aduanas has the package and FED EX is not paying the duty!!

Off the the airport Robert???

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's all pile on Robert!! He did not use HB Express either, They may take a while but they deliver!!

It is as I suspected. Aduanas has the package and FED EX is not paying the duty!!

Off the the airport Robert???

HB

It was a RMA so I had no choice. Normally I would send it to Miami (EPS) or have someone carry it down. But I needed it urgently, hence having the company ship it FedEx.

I'm not going to the airport. They have to deliver it to me, that's what they have been paid to do.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm still waiting!

FedEx in the USA have no idea what goes on here and the local FedEx people appear not to care what goes on here.

17 days and counting!