Sad very sad

canadaborn

May 7, 2011
He was 34 years old, dominican, family of my wife's. He went to help a couple of friends move some furniture here in santiago. He did not know it was stolen. When the police stopped the truck his friends took off. He did not think there was any big problem so the police took him into custody. They litterly beat him to death. This is standard police procedure in this beautiful country. This is why when you read in the paper that somebody confessed, think about it. He died because HE WOULD NOT CONFESS to a crime he did not do. I saw the beaten body, we buried him last saterday. He left his young pregnant wife behind.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Paradise has it's limitations. One of them is a hatred for thieves. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong "friends"!!!!!!

RIP!!!

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
How can they just beat someone to death and get away with it ? I understand detaining someone for theft, but beat to death... wht the ***k...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
He was 34 years old, dominican, family of my wife's. He went to help a couple of friends move some furniture here in santiago. He did not know it was stolen. When the police stopped the truck his friends took off. He did not think there was any big problem so the police took him into custody. They litterly beat him to death. This is standard police procedure in this beautiful country. This is why when you read in the paper that somebody confessed, think about it. He died because HE WOULD NOT CONFESS to a crime he did not do. I saw the beaten body, we buried him last saterday. He left his young pregnant wife behind.

It is sad and totally unnecessary.

Those cops wouldn't have had to lay a finger on me. I would have given them the names, telephone numbers, addresses, nicknames and all aliases and most probable current location of each and every one of the 'friends' who set me up like that.

I would've gone so far as to call these bums Mami's house to try to locate them, promising that I was in possession of their furniture and the misunderstanding with the police had been cleared up.

What could he possibly have been thinking?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is sad but true. I've read it and said it - You are who you associate with. Unfortunately this stuff happens and sometimes it happens to the wrong people. And sometimes we do not have the whole picture.

Canadaborn - I am sorry really for the loss. How long have you lived here?

MWpending - same question how long have you lived here? You seem so shocked. Those who have lived here longer will not be shocked by this. Maybe we are too used to things and should be more upset.

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
DMV123 I don't live there yet, so Yeah I am shocked.... its just kind of out of the norm for me to read those type of things and the police get away with that type of behaivor.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
DMV123 I don't live there yet, so Yeah I am shocked.... its just kind of out of the norm for me to read those type of things and the police get away with that type of behaivor.

This is a developing country, a latino country and a bit of the wild wild west....... Some of us are too used to it here I think.

steelmet

Jun 21, 2007
Just when you think the country has become civilized that happens...2 steps forward then 7 back...

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
Thanks DMV123:) I dont no if i would ever be able to get use to something like that, but i will keep my mouth shut and my opinion to myself when i move there. ( in public at least).

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks DMV123:) I dont no if i would ever be able to get use to something like that, but i will keep my mouth shut and my opinion to myself when i move there. ( in public at least).

LOL I hear you. There are many things that expats think are gross or different or wrong when we first get here. For example newspapers in print or online will publish really gruesome photos of accidents or killings or whatever. At first you think eeeeeuuuuwwww how could they publish that? And now it just is. That is the way things are here, you dont have to like it but you learn to accept it. And that is just one example.... there are many others.

Gemcee

Dec 30, 2009
I think that there's a misconception that you can't make a genuine friendship here. To explain to my Dominican friends that an event like this, with the police, would never (rarely) happen in Canada or US..is completely foreign to them. I am so sorry for your loss..his poor wife especially. I would be devastated if I lost the friends I have here, especially in such an unjust way. Dominican pride is just as prevalent, if not more so here, as in Canada or US..no snitching. The difference is the lack of process and trial and the overwhelming presence of corruption and self-authority with no consequences. We all have many stories about the police, I am sure.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Stuff like this is confusing. I've never think the PN (or anyone else for that matter) would beat someone to death unless they were under orders as the thief had maybe stolen from a high ranker, or they were able to make from it, which would have meant beating him to death in the street, out of the way. PN do nothing for nothing, and interrogation seems unlikely if it was 'just' some punters furniture.
Something is odd about this story.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Agree!

I just don't "BUY" the whole story.
I hope I am right.Then we don't have to mourn the loss.
If I am wrong,I will not post for a month.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
My sense as well is there is more to this story. As expats we are often kept in the dark regarding what is really going on. It does not change the grief of those left behind however.

Gemcee - I think it is not so much a misconception that you cannot make real friends here. I think that sometimes advice to be very careful is misinterpreted. It is possible and many of us long timers have some really good friends here - both locals and expats. But we have learned - sometimes the hard way - to be very careful and very selective.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

More holes than a Swiss one here...:ninja:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Sounds like the time Tony Soprano's nephew's gang heisted one of Uncle Junior's trucks. Make sure you know who you are robbing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
so true. just like the guys who killed that doctor?s daughter in Santiago for her cellphone. they were rounded up in less than 3 days. money talks, bull**** walks. in the wild west, it is not the amount of money that counts. it is the fact that some chopo had the unmitigated gall to rob Don Pepe. those incidents are really captioned MAKING AN EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I am also with the swiss cheese theory. Lets hear the whole story and especially from the cops as well. The cops maybe corrupt but they know the usual suspects and know who is who in town. They deal with these types of people and crime all day.
Like greydead said, he didn't have to hold back anything, if he was innocent and was set-up by his criminal buddies, he should have given them all up. I would have talked right from the first minute. I would have taken them straight to their homes.
This story is not complete and no dominican will take responsibility of their actions. No fui yo....
AZB

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
This kind of news are the ones which make me scare of the fact that I will be moving there this year. To a developing country, where there is lot of poverty, where you can buy and have a gun as if you have a sunglasses, and where there are so many corrupt policemen. Really, really really scary if you think of it ...
This is the whole pack you get when moving there, all mixed with beaches, sun, etc .... :(