Summer holiday bummer

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've travelled to Gibraltar with my husband and son to visit my side of the family every single summer for the last 11 years. We spend all year working hard and saving money, looking forward to this trip, but because of bureaucratic inefficiency and inflexibility it seems we may not be able to go this year, at least not as a family:(

Mr C, who has a US visa (10 years) and a UK visa (5 years) also needs a Schengen as we have to travel via Spain and once we're in Gibraltar we go in and out of Spain most days. He has always been granted his Schengen visa (2 years) by the Spanish consulate without any problems. This year he was due to renew and applied for his appointment 3 months in advance of our planned trip. They gave him a date in July, which means he would not be able to travel until the second half of July, by which time flights are more expensive and the holiday would be cut too short because we need to be back before mid August in time for the start of the school year. He asked them to change the date of the appointment and it took them about a month to get back to him, saying it was not possible because they are too busy.

Now there's not much time left and we're left with the options of trying to get someone with influence to cut through the bureaucratic crap and intervene on his behalf, or applying via another Schengen country even though we have no plans to travel there. Or, just giving up and going without him, which I feel bad about but as my Dad has been in poor health I can't not go this year :(

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Have you tried asking the British Ambassador to help? He must know the Spanish ambassador as I am sure they meet at cocktail parties all the time.

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, one of the things on my list for Monday was to call the British embassy on the off-chance.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Have you tried asking the British Ambassador to help? He must know the Spanish ambassador as I am sure they meet at cocktail parties all the time.

Matilda

We've had to resort to that in the past, using consular officials at other embassies to expedite the Schengen process. The BritEmbassy officials have not been cooperative in this practice, but fortunately others have.

Feb 7, 2007
Bryanell...why don't you mention to Chiri WHO could expedite her process, you say "OTHERS HAVE"...so who are the "OTHERS"?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Bryanell...why don't you mention to Chiri WHO could expedite her process, you say "OTHERS HAVE"...so who are the "OTHERS"?
Rubio - as Chiri and others here know, I have a number of nationalities, citizenships, permanent residencies, Chiri also knows which of those can be influential. But getting diplomats to "make recommendations" about permits and visas to other embassies and consulates is not an easy task as they are always concerned about having to reciprocate which can make life difficult for them, hence their reluctance to do so except in very special circumstances.
Anyway, the one guy who helped me more than a lot in the past is no longer here and most recently we resolved the issue by getting multi-annual multi-entry visas for the US, UK and and a Schengen country. Expensive - but worth it in the long run, especially if you need to travel in a hurry and at short notice.
Bryan

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I got a nice reply saying he couldn't help and I realise it's not a matter of life or death.

In any case we're not asking for anyone to help him actually get the visa - we're 99.99% confident it will be granted as a matter of routine as it always has been - it's a scheduling issue.

The travel agent said we should try turning up in person - that my passport will allow us access even though it's not a Spanish passport - and try to appeal to their better nature then.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If Mr C has a UK visa, why don't you fly directly to the UK and then take either Monarch from Luton or BA from Gatwick direct to Gib? Therefore missing out Spain.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Another option is to try the embassy of another Schengen country such as France or Germany. I've heard that the French embassy can issue Schengen visas very quickly, especially if the applicant already has a European visa. Just say that you want to transit through France and Spain to get to Gibraltar. As France is the first country you transit through from the UK.

The French embassy is a very impressive looking building in the Colonial zone.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If Mr C has a UK visa, why don't you fly directly to the UK and then take either Monarch from Luton or BA from Gatwick direct to Gib? Therefore missing out Spain.
It's a possibility but it would mean being him stuck in Gib for all our time there. If you've ever been there you'll know that's not the ideal option. We had to live like that from 1968-1985 and that was enough!

Another option is to try the embassy of another Schengen country such as France or Germany. I've heard that the French embassy can issue Schengen visas very quickly, especially if the applicant already has a European visa. Just say that you want to transit through France and Spain to get to Gibraltar. As France is the first country you transit through from the UK.

The French embassy is a very impressive looking building in the Colonial zone.
Another possibility we're considering, yes. Downside is the higher cost of flying AF vs Iberia - the total difference for 2 adults and a child is US$1200.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chiri, the spanish embassy has become really bad, they gave miesposo hell last year with his visa and he had several schengen visas before! not to mention valid american visa (his third, i think) and valid UK visa. they seem to have a new tougher policy now.
in any case, i know for a fact they do not require a ticket in order to issue schengen visa. theoretically one should apply in a country of immediate destination or a country where one is going to spend most of the time but in reality ANY schengen country can issue a visa, valid in all schengen area. i would therefore suggest you apply in any other embassy and tell them you are going to fly to europe to whatever destination that is cheapest and best and then travel around.
go to the french emabassy and tell them you will fly via paris but do not know the date yet. heck, make an online ticket reservation if you want (costs nothing and is valid for a short time) to show you are commited to AF.
btw, i much prefer AF to iberia. they cost more but since last year bloody iberia has one-piece-of-luggage policy. one piece of luggage my a**, dudes, this is not much when you only go home once a year or so! on the brighter side additional luggage is only 60 euro per piece so one can live with that.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's a possibility but it would mean being him stuck in Gib for all our time there. If you've ever been there you'll know that's not the ideal option. We had to live like that from 1968-1985 and that was enough!

Another possibility we're considering, yes. Downside is the higher cost of flying AF vs Iberia - the total difference for 2 adults and a child is US$1200.

Yes, I know what you mean. My Mother used to live in Gib. You would go stir crazy if you couldn't get off that rock and into Spain!

I might be wrong, but once you have your Schengan visa, you can stick to your original plan and fly with Iberia to Spain, even though your visa was issued by France.

Don't they advise again making any travel plans or buy tickets until you have your visa? In that case, once you have your visa, you can alter your plans.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If it's true that he can apply at the French consulate without having to travel via France we might have a solution in sight. Thanks to all :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you have to lie to them that you will travel via paris. but yes, any schengen country can issue schengen visa and it's just as good.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do you think a printout of the quote we got from AF is enough or would it have to be proof of reservation?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo had online reservation. valid for 48 hours or so. one does not really need a ticket.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Can you fly to Gibraltar from Amsterdam ? Because in Amsterdam they allow anybody to travel in transit without visas. As long as you have a ticket to travel on from there and just stay in the airport.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Do you think a printout of the quote we got from AF is enough or would it have to be proof of reservation?

An option might be to purchase a fully refundable ticket (very expensive) and then cancel it once it has served its purpose. (ie you've received your visa)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Can you fly to Gibraltar from Amsterdam ? Because in Amsterdam they allow anybody to travel in transit without visas. As long as you have a ticket to travel on from there and just stay in the airport.
No, the only flights to Gib are from the UK. He has a UK visa so we could do it that way - but without a Schengen visa he is stuck inside Gibraltar (under 4 square miles) for the entire holiday and our plans include going to stay with friends in Spain and generally going in and out of Spain on an almost daily basis.

dv8 - will try the online reservation option.