Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Psych Meds (Seroquel)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Psych Meds (Seroquel)

Do you need a prescription for Seroquel in the D.R.? Or can you just buy it at the stores?

2. Likes Canadiensita liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Get the official medical name, write it on a piece of paper and take it to the farmacia. Say to the pharmacist in very broken Spanish "Um...mi dok-tor in los stados nidos me.....um.....di-hoe k necesito este" then point to the paper. If they have it, they will give it to you prescription or not.
    When I worked in NYC and lived in Santiago they girls (fellow nurses) played a game with me of "I bet they won't give you THIS" and someone would name a med and sure enough, I always got it. Heart meds, anti-dependants, the abortion pill.....

SHALENA

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the problem will be more one of finding it than obtaining it. If you have been taking Seroquel in your home country, I don't need to tell you that you will need to stop at the bank before you go to the pharmacy; unless of course, as with many things, there are cheap pirate generic versions available in the DR. The patent expires in the US next year. The medical name is Quetiapine.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

jesus, people, stop worshiping big labs and open your eyes to generics!
    seroquel is quetiapina, widely available in DR over the counter. under the name of seroquel it is sold in DR at about 100 pesos per pill (100mg).
    there are several great labs doing the same compound:
    quetiazic (asofarma) at 70 pesos per pill
    serenil (lab dr collado) at 52 pesos a pill
    quetiap (euro) at 60 pesos a pill
    all prices for 100mg. also available in 150, 200 and 300mg. serenil is probably the best.
    cheers

6. Likes mountainannie, Canadiensita liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I am really impressed and concerned at the same time.

Hopefully if you are prescribed Seroquel anywhere you are being monitored fairly closely - it is still an antipsychotic even if it is atypical and used in smaller doses for non-psychotic diagnoses!

That said, I am wondering how I can research obtaining generic versions of Altruline - it is an older formulation and about 85 pesos a day!

I am glad to see this topic - everyone I know here, I work with and I am very reluctant to discuss my medication with them!

Post Thanks / Like

compound name sertralina. i cannot remember brand names off the top of my head but there are generics made in DR. i wil give more info on monday when i get to work.
    it is not known, i think, but many "psych meds" are sold in DR over the counter, including prozac

9. Likes Canadiensita liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Skiing, that is the absolute opposite of my experience. I have been trying to get some very strong pain killers for my back, I go into every Pharmacy I pass on the off chance, in Santo Domingo, no luck without prescription. My doctor is reluctant to prescribe me long term strong pain killers for fear of addiction, but to be honest I'd rather be addicted to a med than deal with this, but so is life, hmph!!

Post Thanks / Like

what is the medicine, anastacio?
    just about the only painkiller they will not sell over the counter is morphine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it is different for narcotic pain killers... They probably care more about trafficking potential than ease of access.
    Nobody I ever heard of parties with Seroquel or heart meds

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    what is the medicine, anastacio?
    just about the only painkiller they will not sell over the counter is morphine.
    I used to use Oxycodone or is it Oxycodine? Possibly both! I ask for Oxycodone and they just look at me like I'm an alien asking for crackly space dust!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast