Marinas

M

marshall

hello i am considering moving to the DR from NYC....i am thinking of buying a sailboat...can anyone tell me the costs for marina rentals in the DR? also where can i find a listing of boats for sale there? thanks MB

H

Henry

First to the boat - you might buy it lots cheaper and in better conditions in Ft. Lauderdale, FL! Over here the prices are high due to import taxes and other circumstances!

The cost of the marinas I do not know all of them, but I think, you have to pay USD 10.- to 15.- per day! There is the possibility of useing the tourist pier and you have to pay nothing in Sto. Dgo.! Left side, when you come into the river!

See u'here!

Henry

H

hillbilly

You are looking at a major headache..

I have yet to see anyone with something good to say about bringing a boat here. Don't know why, it just seems to be a major cash drain, patience drain, and time drain. Check the archives on Capt Rob and others on this subject.
While it apparently seems simple on the surface, there seems to be a dozen hidden agendas involved.
I am sure that you can do this, but I just don't know the ins and outs.

HB

D

Duck

Listen to Hillbilly ....

I've heard enough horror stories myself.

If you buy a decent sized boat, you can take it right from New York, down the ICW and Island hop from FLA to the DR. I know several people who have had boats (USCG documented) in the DR for years, but haven't formally imported them. As long as its only for private use, I don't think this is a problem.

Club Nautico in Montecristi has a RDP 10.000 initiation fee, annual dues of RDP 1.000 for the membership and I believe a one-time fee of RDP 50.000 for a "spot" (the actual slips are full) with dues of RDP 35/ft (in the water - on a trailer is cheaper).

H

Henry

Actually it depends what are you going to to after

Selling the boat over here?

Taking it elsewhere?

If you want to sell the boat you might need a buyer first or you need plenty of time!

Registering the boat under dominincan flag is not necessary, but living here and cruising with the boat makes it far easier, as you do not have to register and unregister in the same way as if you where a visitor (with a foreign flag!)!

Unless you give more info this is about roughly the ideas we have!

Henry

B

B

Re: boat

I visited Luperon this past March (by car). There were many boats there. It seems like everyone there was happy and having a good time. They told me customs and immigration was easy and friendly. b

K

Karl

Re: Actually it depends what are you going to to a

>>>> as you do not have to register and unregister in the same way as if you where a visitor (with a foreign flag!)! <<<<<

Even with a dominican flagged vessel you HAVE TO REGISTER WITH THE MARINA DE GUERRA before you leave and after you come back.
This might not be case if you have A SPECIAL DEAL with >>the commandante<<.

H

hillbilly

Itty bitty detail--really..

if you come here by sea, the accepted maritime flag, flown by courtesy, should NOT have a Dominican National Shield in the center. Alternating quadrants of Marine blue and bright red, crossed by a white cross whose thickness is 1/2 the width of the colored panals. Got that? )8^)

HB

K

KenDP

Lived on Boat in DR for Years

My wife and I came to the DR via sailboat in 1986 and lived aboard in Samana harbor until we left to finish our cruise of the Caribbean in early 1997. Boat is again anchored in Samana harbor, but since August have been living in a condo we purchased in Sosua.

Regarding price/quality/selection of a boat, you are generally better off making the purchase in the US and bringing it here. However, you can check with Captain Forrest Rodriguez to see what is available. He would be the most knowledgeable about the boat market in the DR. He can be reached at Centro Marino del Mar in Boca Chica (tel. 809-523-6033) (fax 809-523-6923). He has an e-mail address, but I can't seem to find it. You should also talk with him about marina possibilities on the south coast and he is involved in their operation.

If you are going to be living on the north coast, then your choices are anchoring either in Samana or Luperon harbor. There are no marinas at present on the north coast. Anchoring the boat in some other area, Sosua, for example, is not an option. There are designated harbors in the Dominican Republic and they are very strictly enforced. There are also rules and regulations on boat use that you would need to become accustomed to. You can enjoy your boat, but before leaving the harbor you must always clear out with Port Commandante. One reason for this is the desire to insure that the boat isn't leaving with a load of Dominicans trying to sneak into Puerto Rico. If a boat leaves harbor without clearing out, the Navy will be sent to investigate. Look on this not as an inconvenience but as protection against having your boat stolen/hijacked.

If you would like to discuss this further, please email me direct. The subject of boats/boating in the Dominican Republic is really too complicated to do justice in the message board.