Got a Quote for a container shipment, need some advice...

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I got a quote from a cargo shipper someone had recommended here on DR1; they email me a quote for a Door to Port (Long Island to Caucedo, DR) for a 40ft contianer $3,075. Could anyone tell me...

1) If this is a reasonable price?

2) Since I am shipping a mudanza (all household goods), would it be best to deal with a shipper that would take it door-to-door rather than door-to-port?

Cheers!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, that sounds reasonable..... there will be a small charge after the port to go door to door.

A 40' container doesn't fit everywhere in RD... they may need to break into to truckloads depending on the ultimate destination.
Has your shipper declined to go further than the port?
If so, they should arrange for the domestic delivery or suggest someone.

Clearing customs is the most important part.... local delivery will be easy.

My 40' included a car so I had about 20' of furniture.... it was $750 more to get it to Cabrera from Caucedo.

Your freight company should be able to give an estimate for the last leg.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
By all means get the door to door service. It saves you the headaches of having to manage the logistics of the final leg of the move.

Regards,

PJT

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Do you guys know if a door-2-door service handles dealing with customs? Or would I still need to deal with customs?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think it does. However, you should wait until some of the people that have actually done this move contribute to this thread.

Before, we could consult with PIB, since that was her cup of tea, but she has long retired to cooking, writing and moming...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Best-Of-Luck!
And,"PLEEEEEEEEEZE" tell us how it "Turns Out"????????????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I sure will. A couple of months ago I got a quote from a moving company. Door to door without TVs was $4500 - $6000.

"Best-Of-Luck!
And,"PLEEEEEEEEEZE" tell us how it "Turns Out"????????????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
One suggestion : do a Door to Door instead of a Door to Port. I know the second is cheaper but you don't know what hassle you can expect in port with customs. Transport companies know the way's better then an individual at ports and with customs and they can provide better logistics from port to door.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
If true, you may be right, however, the cost may be much higher. Probably cause they have to do all of the leg work. Tomorrow, Monday, I will call a shipping company, La Fama, and others; I will ask and see what they say.

One suggestion : do a Door to Door instead of a Door to Port. I know the second is cheaper but you don't know what hassle you can expect in port with customs. Transport companies know the way's better then an individual at ports and with customs and they can provide better logistics from port to door.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Keep in mind also that a DOB (Door to Port), your container is not ensured as soon as its boarded either but then again, its looking at what you ship is worth the extra payments you will have to do when wanting a delivery at your door.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Other Direction?

I assume prices are similar in the other direction? No plans to leave yet, but if Hippolito somehow wins. . . .I may bail on DR. Well, after a year or so, so I can take advantage of the peso devaluing to 100-1. Then when prices start to go up. . . adios!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Are you coming in under the residency provision?
If so, you will need that customs broker to walk you through the duty free process.

I don't think mudanzas handle full containers..... check that out.

You will get door to door but you need to claim the goods at the dock.... this is different than shipping a lawn mower or TV.

Talk to your shipper about clearing customs and the forward shipment.

Mine was very smooth ..... see my post (#2) from this morning

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
When the time come for me to do a shipment, I'll do it Door to Door, especially if the custom paper work / clearance is included. I am thinking about the following:

1. you won't have to worry about bribes.
2. If you are shipping a nice car or jeepeta.

A friend of my shipped a Jeepeta to sto dgo. and he was not able to take pocession of it until a year later.
It turned out that a high ranking officer fell in love with his vehicle and decided to keep it... My friend ended up paying off a higher officer... In a nutshell, it is a hassle..

It would be nice to hear it comments from the ones that have done it.

Lots of luck!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
When the time come for me to do a shipment, I'll do it Door to Door, especially if the custom paper work / clearance is included. I am thinking about the following:

1. you won't have to worry about bribes.
2. If you are shipping a nice car or jeepeta.

A friend of my shipped a Jeepeta to sto dgo. and he was not able to take pocession of it until a year later.
It turned out that a high ranking officer fell in love with his vehicle and decided to keep it... My friend ended up paying off a higher officer... In a nutshell, it is a hassle..

It would be nice to hear it comments from the ones that have done it.

Lots of luck!

Search the the thread 'Barrel Shipping' see post #74 (Ithink or 78)...its mine

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Lots of great information! Thanks! Few questions?

1) How many times did you have to return to the dock in DR?

2) Would you mind sharing how much you paid Aduanas for your vehicle, and what year it was? I want to try to ship 2 vehicles, a 2004 and a 2003 but people tell me they don't accept vehicles older than 5 years.

3) When you shipped door-door did you use the same company here in USA, Hispaniola Freight? Or were they only used to ship the items from port to door? What company did you use here in the USA for the freight?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

That is utter bull$hit amigo, follow the protocol, use a reputable shipper and you can import a car, not the most frugal way to drive in DR after the tax, but doable. Please do a search on this board before making additional fictional posts.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Lots of great information! Thanks! Few questions?

1) How many times did you have to return to the dock in DR?

2) Would you mind sharing how much you paid Aduanas for your vehicle, and what year it was? I want to try to ship 2 vehicles, a 2004 and a 2003 but people tell me they don't accept vehicles older than 5 years.

3) When you shipped door-door did you use the same company here in USA, Hispaniola Freight? Or were they only used to ship the items from port to door? What company did you use here in the USA for the freight?

Returns to dock.... once to claim goods.... another for the aduana trip.... last to pick up car and lead delivery to my door.

Car Tax... 70.000 DRP for a 1995 Jeep Wrangler valued at $18,000 US ( a 50% discounr form the normal tax)

Hispaniola is in SDQ.. I forget my US connection.
Yes, Hispaniola handles the local delivery

Were I to do this again, I would work backwards:
Start w/ Hispaniola (their English is good), let then arrange the Us pickup thru their network and then have them deliver.

As I said before, this is not as seamless as the "smallshipment" mudanza type - you have your own container.. you are the shipper... not part of an LTL (less than load) whereby the mudanza pays for the container and then "consolidates" a shipment.

LTL works like this.... mudanza pays the $4000 you were quoted, then fills it with all those packages/boxes for the $135 each (or so),... that adds up to more than $4000 and he makes his money...
Thats their business .... thats what they do
Also, they dodge the customs
EXAMPLE: a used fridge costs $100 less than a new fridge to ship.... what does that tell you about what goes on at the dock.

Old Chinese/Dominican Proverb:
NEVER try to deal with the dock yourself !!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I see.

Did you know before hand the amount you would pay for the car? If so, how did you know?

When you went to pick up your container goods, did you tell the person inspecting that you were resident and that you dont need to pay the taxes? Could you go over what you did with this respect? Thank you very very much.

Returns to dock.... once to claim goods.... another for the aduana trip.... last to pick up car and lead delivery to my door.

Car Tax... 70.000 DRP for a 1995 Jeep Wrangler valued at $18,000 US ( a 50% discounr form the normal tax)

Hispaniola is in SDQ.. I forget my US connection.
Yes, Hispaniola handles the local delivery

Were I to do this again, I would work backwards:
Start w/ Hispaniola (their English is good), let then arrange the Us pickup thru their network and then have them deliver.

As I said before, this is not as seamless as the "smallshipment" mudanza type - you have your own container.. you are the shipper... not part of an LTL (less than load) whereby the mudanza pays for the container and then "consolidates" a shipment.

LTL works like this.... mudanza pays the $4000 you were quoted, then fills it with all those packages/boxes for the $135 each (or so),... that adds up to more than $4000 and he makes his money...
Thats their business .... thats what they do
Also, they dodge the customs
EXAMPLE: a used fridge costs $100 less than a new fridge to ship.... what does that tell you about what goes on at the dock.

Old Chinese/Dominican Proverb:
NEVER try to deal with the dock yourself !!