Gringolandia

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Whenever I get tired of explaining that New York is only one city in one state of the 50 states of the United States, that any state is part of New York or who I am meeting is a knucklehead I respond "Gringolandia". I have had educated people believing that it was a country north of Germany or west of France or south of Spain. About one out of ten laugh and realize what I was really saying. :rolleyes:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Geography is NOT an important subject anymore, so MOST folks are kind of ignorant as to the "where" of events...Anything north of Puerto Plata is New York, as in "North Carolina, New York" or "Kentucky, New York", or ever "My friend in Los ?ngeles, New York".

But even Jeopardy contestants mess up on Geography...so what can you expect???

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Had a friend here who was going to visit New York, New Jersey, and New Orleans. As they all started with New they had to be close together. I offered to pay her way to New York but only if she used my Taxi for transportation. I was looking forward to the New Orleans trip. jeje

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, even though I was born in NYC, I feel that I am a North Carolinian having lived the majority of my life in the south. But you cannot explain that to Dominicans who constantly introduce me as "de Nueba Yol"

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I once had to sit down and explain to some dumb hick that Boston was not part of New York.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
My favorite was when someone asked me if I drove here from Nueva Yol.

I said, "yes".

(If the poor child of God is that damn lost, it was going to take more time and patience than I have to explain the reality of the situation.)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Not all Dominicans are like this of course but if you want to have some fun start talking about Miami. Somehow most know it's far away from NY yet don't put 2 and 2 together.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Of COARSE "CHIP",not ALL Dominicans are, "Like This",just 99.9%,you are the only one who has talked to the "OTHER, 0.1 % !!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Sorry, but American are not any better. Do you know how many times people ask me if I am from London when I say I am from France ?!! I was also asked all kind of crazy questions about life in France as if Europe was still in the middle ages.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Today is the first time I heard I heard the term Gringolandia but what is so funny is I just also saw it on a commentary from a Bolivian newspaper. Apparently it is a catchy term used by Hispanics for the US.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife has relatives in N Jersey, Peabody, Mass, Holly Springs, Texas, Nacogdoches Tx, Orlando, Phily, and Virginia. I believe they are all aware they are not in NYC. I'm was suprised at how well travelled many of the Dominicans from Jarabacoa are - Canada, Europe, Australia....etc.

Last edited:

neofloyd

Apr 14, 2011
I don't get why this is a big deal?? Just say it's a large area, everyone knows that!! they just want to have a conversation or make someone feel knowledgeable, trust me they don't care what's boston or new whatever. Have fun sex tourists !!!!

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
yeah and germany is right above australia

I agreed and said it was just another island
Manu

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
If you want to play along, you can always say to Dominicans you like visiting their country- Haiti :D

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I once had to sit down and explain to some dumb hick that Boston was not part of New York.

I got you beat. One friend said to me her sister is looking for someone to rent her apartment in Boston and surely I knew someone. I told her I m not from Boston. She responded "YA! Its all the same place." Then I pulled up a Google Map page and showed her the distance from NY to Boston. 221 miles o 353 kms. Then she sort of got the idea. Then she continues to bitch about her sister who come to find out DOES NOT LIVE IN BOSTON. She lives somewhere in the boonies of NEW HAMPSHIRE.

Then last week another one who was unclear about her age told me conclusively that people in my country dont age fast because "its cold there." Then you have to TRY and explain to them that there are states in the South(Florida, Louisiana, Texas, etc) where the temperature is the exact same or hotter than it is in DR. I think it is disrespectfully ignorant of them to assume that New York(City) is the entire United States. The thought that you could cover the whole country from end to end in one day but when you come here you never see any of it is just mindbogglingly stupid. Then one time I get into an argument when some nutjob tia who tells me NJ is bigger than NY. Then the others who tell me DR is bigger than NY. Then I gotta go for the Rand McNally just to show them, which is really fascinating. Then they start to look at the all the places they know they have family. The brother in North Carolina, the sister in Tampa, the cousin in Milwaukee, the long distance cousin in Vegas, the daughter in Atlanta. That what you guys should do, open a map and show them where is where and what it what.

Then like 10 years ago when I was married and she flew for the first time into the US I was in Miami. I was going to drive back to NY. Now everyone knows that it takes about 7 hours to leave Florida on I-95. When the longest trip you ever took in your life was from Jarabacoa to San Pedro you think all travel is that short. That is a 1300 mile from Miami to NY. I remember 3 things:
a. we were in December and there is a distinct temperature difference in Miami and en route north.
b. she freaked out the 1st time she saw a squirrel at a rest area in North Carolina
c. she thought there were Spanish language radio stations everywhere because from Miami to Orlando that is available. Sad story from Jacksonville to (at the time) Philadelphia.
d. first time in NY she was so cold she didnt know what to do. "How can people live in this cold?"

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Sorry, but American are not any better. Do you know how many times people ask me if I am from London when I say I am from France ?!! I was also asked all kind of crazy questions about life in France as if Europe was still in the middle ages.

There are many Americans that don't know where Oklahoma is in a US map, also many don't know where Puerto Rico is or even ever heard of the Dominican Republic or Hispaniola. Many americans also think that Alaska is another country or think that Alaska is just a big block of ice without any summers, good thing they picture Alaskans as Eskimos living inside igloos freezing their buttocks off, we don't need them up here, lol.

But I don't blame them, their school does not need to teach them world geography or world history, all they need to know is that their first president was George Washington, that the statue of liberty and the twin towers represented NY, That all the hollywood stars live in California, that all the cowboys are from Texas and that Mickey Mouse lives in Orlando Florida,

It is the same thing with many Dominicans, even the ones that have some education it is not like most of their teachers sat with them to teach them about all the states in the US.

Most poor Dominicans only hear about NY, Florida, California, Washington D.C and Texas when referring to the US because it is where most Dominicans travel to.

Many Dominicans in the DR have not heard of Virginia, Maryland, Oregon, Ohio, etc, many won't know these states or that they are part of the US unless one tells them, just like many Americans don't know that Oviedo or Pedernales are in the DR or that the DR has the oldest city of the Americas.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
There are many Americans that don't know where Oklahoma is in a US map, also many don't know where Puerto Rico is or even ever heard of the Dominican Republic or Hispaniola. Many americans also think that Alaska is another country or think that Alaska is just a big block of ice without any summers, good thing they picture Alaskans as Eskimos living inside igloos freezing their buttocks off, we don't need them up here, lol.

But I don't blame them, their school does not need to teach them world geography or world history, all they need to know is that their first president was George Washington, that the statue of liberty and the twin towers represented NY, That all the hollywood stars live in California, that all the cowboys are from Texas and that Mickey Mouse lives in Orlando Florida,

It is the same thing with many Dominicans, even the ones that have some education it is not like most of their teachers sat with them to teach them about all the states in the US.

Most poor Dominicans only hear about NY, Florida, California, Washington D.C and Texas when referring to the US because it is where most Dominicans travel to.

Many Dominicans in the DR have not heard of Virginia, Maryland, Oregon, Ohio, etc, many won't know these states or that they are part of the US unless one tells them, just like many Americans don't know that Oviedo or Pedernales are in the DR or that the DR has the oldest city of the Americas.

I'll add to your list of States not yet known to many Dominican: North and South Dakoda, Washington State; many believe that Washington DC is the same as the States. And last but not least, New Mexico, this last one for some reason many Dominicans will confuse with Mexico the country. On this last one I will not argue, at current pace New Mexico may very well be part of Mexico.