DR VS Customer Service!!

sush

Mar 9, 2011
I have to start saying that this is a war that customer service has no chance in winning!!:(
we recently got a new apartment and we had NO furniture at all, so we went shopping to santo domingo! ? of course a couple of times- ; we were looking for very modern furniture so we made sure we went to very nice and with a lot of merchandise stores. You walk in and you immediately have someone paying attention to you, following you around the store to show you the furniture? they are great . You are now ready to BUY!! YAY ?unfortunately that is when the customer service ENDS, you hand your credit card, they charge the money and if it is for delivery be ready for headaches; they promise one day and I don?t know how is possible but always something happens that they can?t meet the day? of course you learn that when you call them to check why you are all day waiting and the delivery truck is not there yet.. so the whole thing after you buy the furniture is a realll pain!!
how people survive with the kind of customer service they offer? do people really dont care here??

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
It's not about what's right and wrong.
This is simply the situation here.
It might be because you are a visible minority (if you are) and it might not.

Sure people care, but there livelihood and the future of their families are more important then you as a future customer.

I think a lot of this country lives in the "now". Again, not good or bad, just the way it is.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Well Jeff you are somewhat right. There is no sense of customer service in this entire country - exceptions do exist but they are unbelievably few and far between.

It is about the fact that once they HAVE YOUR MONEY all semblance of service ENDS immediately. The key is to hold back money until they deliver or finish or provide the service or product. Money talks and everything else is noise.

That has been my experience of many years. Sush, you need to learn how to manage the lack of customer service, adjust to some of it and fight the rest.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
We always pay half with order & the remainder upon completion, be it delivery or work completed.

Just be wise to the fact that once you have SAID you are satisfied with the work the money becomes due under Dominican law so inspect it very carefully before you confirm completion.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Although I agree with the half now, half when completed we have really never had a problem whether its a local shop or in the capital. Carrefour delivered,(can't remember the name of the other one, a big department near the guagua parade !!) the local ferreterias, Negro Music Nagua, the only one who didn't recently was the JCB digger and even he telephoned to say the because of the heavy rain digging a trench was dangerous. I wonder why it is that so many only post bad news on this forum and so few about the good things and people here. For example we don't have a Mango tree but nearly every day we find a bag of mangos on the doorstep.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
It's not about what's right and wrong.
This is simply the situation here.
It might be because you are a visible minority (if you are) and it might not.

Sure people care, but there livelihood and the future of their families are more important then you as a future customer.

I think a lot of this country lives in the "now". Again, not good or bad, just the way it is.

i bought almost all the furniture from the same store imagine that - 2 bedrooms, living room and dinning room- a couple of 100k (dop) if they dont care about a customer who expends that in the store how would they treat you when you buy lets say a simple chair - that goes aroun 6k of course-?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i bought almost all the furniture from the same store imagine that - 2 bedrooms, living room and dinning room- a couple of 100k (dop) if they dont care about a customer who expends that in the store how would they treat you when you buy lets say a simple chair - that goes aroun 6k of course-?

What store?

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
... how would they treat you when you buy lets say a simple chair - that goes aroun 6k of course-?

The same, no better, no worse.

It's not that they ACTIVELY don't care, its more like... its not important to them that you are happy, because there is an assumption that if you aren't, you'll ACTIVELY let them know :)

sush

Mar 9, 2011
What stores did you have problems with?

Ilumel, at lincoln that is where i bought most of my furniture, i had to wait for them to deliver the merchandise at 11pm on a tuesday - i am not over reacting- and part of it was missing... then i got an extra table and was promise 2 delivery dates at the end i went to sto dgo and pick it up myself.
Fasa lamparas / ILU-LED was promised a delivery date nothing came no call to inform that, was promised white light with a lamp and believe me they couldnt care less when they were LATE and deliver the lamp not as ordered, her answer was and believe this words - you can send it back and we are not responsible if it brake-
then IKEA - trust them when they say bring the furniture home yourself the same day.
i guess this will make me appreciatte everything i have at my home :)

sush

Mar 9, 2011
And of course a colchon i got from Bella vista mall sleep center - Sealy- i ended up getting 2 Free pillows because of the "missunderstanding" when they said they will deliver on monday and it got to my place the following thursday... of course i couldnt cancel because they will not return the money. next one i got i just went and paid and hired a driver to pick it up for me- easy and simple-

is it just me??

Aug 21, 2007
I live in Sosua. Shopped at Ikea in SD and had no problem with delivery. Even over that distance, it arrived on time. Additionally, they called in route to tell me where they were and when they expected to arrive.

Also have had several deliveries from the larger stores in Santiago. They arrived on the day and time they promised.

Lindsey

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Welcome to the Dominican Republic.

Leave the expectations from your old country behind.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Although I agree with the half now, half when completed we have really never had a problem whether its a local shop or in the capital. Carrefour delivered,(can't remember the name of the other one, a big department near the guagua parade !!) the local ferreterias, Negro Music Nagua, the only one who didn't recently was the JCB digger and even he telephoned to say the because of the heavy rain digging a trench was dangerous. I wonder why it is that so many only post bad news on this forum and so few about the good things and people here. For example we don't have a Mango tree but nearly every day we find a bag of mangos on the doorstep.

Same here :)

sush

Mar 9, 2011
I live in Sosua. Shopped at Ikea in SD and had no problem with delivery. Even over that distance, it arrived on time. Additionally, they called in route to tell me where they were and when they expected to arrive.

Also have had several deliveries from the larger stores in Santiago. They arrived on the day and time they promised.

Lindsey

Im glad you had a nice experience, I'm rigth here in Juan dolio just 1 hr drive from the city :S

vida

Mar 18, 2010
furniture delivered same day

I bought furniture at a place in Santo Domingo amounting to many hundreds of dollars. Delivery was part of their service. My last question was can it be delivered not only today but right now. They said no. I said no sale. They found a driver and truck within five minutes. I saw it being loaded. They met me at my house 15 minutes later. I tipped the delivery guys well. Overall it was a good experience.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
I bought furniture at a place in Santo Domingo amounting to many hundreds of dollars. Delivery was part of their service. My last question was can it be delivered not only today but right now. They said no. I said no sale. They found a driver and truck within five minutes. I saw it being loaded. They met me at my house 15 minutes later. I tipped the delivery guys well. Overall it was a good experience.

was it deliver to santo domingo or other city? most of the stores i went they do deliver the same day but within sdq, i live in juan dolio.

dont get me wrong i will purchase again from Ilumel and IKEA, (NOT FROM FASA LAMPARAS /ILULED) they do have nice stuff but i guess i will make sure i have someone to pick it up for me if i need it on time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ordered new floor from ochoa (lots of money), arrived as ordered.
ordered new wardrobe set (shelves atc) from ochoa (little money), arrived 5 days late.

i kinda do not care much as long as they deliver what i wanted. my customer service skills are poor so maybe i identify with dominicas :)

Nov 25, 2008
Customer Service is not in the vocabulary of the Dominicans; Codetel, WIND, Corripio... its all the same C*%#, once they have your $, they have you by the "Balls"
Actually CS for Dominicans is really they are doing YOU a favor when you purchase anything from them

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Codetel!!!!! what should i say ............... specially the prepaid, i had the internet like that and because of the cs i just changed it to contract !! i know !