"Cholera Spreading" News Article

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I was shocked to read about the devastating cholera epidemic that's sweeping across the Dominican Republic in today's Washington Post:

Cholera spreading in Dominican Republic with more than 1,000 cases from nearly all provinces - The Washington Post

The immigrations interviews in several Caribbean nations included questions on recent travel to the Dominican Republic in the past 90 days. Those who had travelled to the D.R. are placed on an environmental health watch list for dengue. It happened to me in Jamaica. Now this. The conspiracy theorist in me sees a plot to foil the increase in tourism to the D.R. vs. tourism's decrease in the rest of the region.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The Jamaicans are angry because their cement is not welcome in the D.R.
Dengue ?? Nonsense.

Cholera is serious but still mostly occurring in the ghettos of SD where unsanitary conditions prevail.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish that some of the posters on DR1 would,or COULD,read a Dominican newspaper,or watch a Dominican news station like,"Diario Libre",or "CDN"!
Cholera is spreading in all areas of the country.They show some hospitals with no available beds,and cholera patients being treated on the floor in the hallways.
I doubt if the "Washington Post" cares about the Panamanian cement embargo.
Today's headline in "Diario Libre"."Public Health Reports 100 Cases Of Cholera In 24 Hours"
Minister of Public Health says;The cases of cholera will grow significantly in the next 4 weeks.
At least now,as opposed to several weeks ago,Public Health has acknowledged that there IS a problem,and it is spreading.In San Pedro de Marcoris ,public health officials have asked for help from the "Pan American Health Organization.They have asked for epidemiologists,and doctors for assistance.
One of the areas most affected is,"La Puya De Arroyo Hondo" about 500 feet from my house.
I have started washing my hands after I "Take-A-Crap"! :mad:
I suggest you do the same,instead of ignoring,or discrediting the reports.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Dimitri

May 24, 2011
1,143 cases of cholera and just 14 dead . They really are doing good in there health department.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
It's also advisable to take oral cholera vaccines if you are travelling or living in affected areas as a precaution. I'm coming down with my family in June and we've all taken it. Although I normally use the tap water to brush my teeth without any issues, I think this time we'll stick to bottled water for that. Better safe than sorry. It's a good idea to carry hand sanitizer in case you use a public bathroom that doesn't have soap or running tap water...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
cholera cases are only going to increase because of the weather. mentirologia is talking about more rain in more areas of the country. and then, of course, there is the heat. and hurricane season is just around the corner.
as far as the rough treatment of the sick: the hospitals are not ready to receive so many patients with highly infectious diseases. there are no beds available (cholera patients need special beds - with a butt hole, so to speak) and no space (patiens need to separated from the rest). cut them some slack, they are doing all they can.

so far cholera is what nespapers call "disease of the poor" and so far it spreads in the poorest barrios. we talked about it before: always carry manitas limpias (i have one in each car and one in my bag, not because of cholera but because of really bad public toilets). have at home a pack of hydrating salts (a pack of powder to mix with one liter of water, available from all pharmacies) or at least few bottles of gatorade.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
"The immigrations interviews in several Caribbean nations included questions on recent travel to the Dominican Republic in the past 90 days.Those who had travelled to the D.R. are placed on an environmental health watch list for dengue" what does this mean to me I well be there this weekend so I well have the feds traling me when i get home? no but for real what does this involive.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
"The immigrations interviews in several Caribbean nations included questions on recent travel to the Dominican Republic in the past 90 days.Those who had travelled to the D.R. are placed on an environmental health watch list for dengue" what does this mean to me I well be there this weekend so I well have the feds traling me when i get home? no but for real what does this involive.

It's a question the JA immigration officer asked upon observation of fresh D.R. exit stamps on my passport at MBJ. I have been told of this happening to travellers at other Caribbean destinations. Noteably St. Maarten when they had a TB scare there which involved a Dominicana there on a work visa. US immigration does not do this. yet

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Not a good time to be supporting street vendors, I?m done with my half chickens for the moment!!

sush

Mar 9, 2011
i live in juan dolio and i just hear everybody talking about the same thing, yesterday was 49 cases today is over 80 at the Musa hospital, we all know numbers are not a 100% correct over here, WATCH OUT

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Not place to be safe in theses days, you have Colera is spreading in DR and we are concerned of the danm tornadoes here in the south US.
My wife said she couldn't sleep last night because the storm!!!

JJ

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Great coming down for two weeks starting Sun. I guess theres a good chance I will drink to much presidente and messs up and catch it.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I will definitely be looking into the vaccination and recommending it to all the DR travellers I know.

Good luck with that. The Embassy website says that the vaccine is not available in the US (If indeed you are American)

SHALENA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please use common (well maybe not so common) sense on this issue.
Hygiene is number one.
No eating of raw foods you have not washed in chlorinated water (preferably by yourself)
No eating of fruits you have not peeled yourself
No eating on the streets, unless you know the person and are a steady customer from years ago...

Stay out of the barrios.

In places like Santo Domingo, where the CAASD is really in chaos, untreated tap water in most places can be suspect.

In other places with a history of good water, I really would not go postal about the water.(I am talking about Jarabacoa, La Vega, Santiago, and a few other of similar fame.

Vaccines? By all means.

In a barrio, suspicious case of diarrhea and vomiting? Get the patient a liter of bottled water mixed with 7 teaspoons of sugar and one of salt and make him/her drink it, no matter if it comes out one end or the other shortly there after. Repeat and repeat until you can reach professional care...Or, if you have money, buy a case of Gatoraid and give it to the patient...nothing better!!

Amen. The world is not coming to an end.

Last week SantiagueroRD and I were approaching the Yapor Dumit Ave in a driving rainstorm that had already over-whelmed the drainage system. We say raw sewage coming up from the sewer pipes into the surface runoff where kids and adults were splashing around, pushing cars out, and generally wading in the pungent "water"...this is what causes cholera to spread.

Be safe.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
REMEMBER,..................NO,"ORAL SEX", Until This Crisis Has,"Run-It's-Course"!!!!

Bill Clinton has canceled his trip to,"PUTA CANA"!!!

The,"IMF" delegation "Pulled out"of the "DR",and left "prematurely" for FRANCE!

"Be careful,it's a jungle out there"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CCCCC: That is awful!!! Not fair!!! This is about cholera...

Besides, if you wash it in chlorinated water, why not!!!???

HB

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Today's news:
Cholera cases mounting

With more than 100 cases reported in the last day, some public hospitals serving slum areas are being overwhelmed with the demand for treatment. The Ministry is being criticized for having lowered their guard in prevention measures in the slums.

At a time when the emergency room and other areas of the Antonio Musa Hospital in San Pedro de Macoris are overflowing with suspected cases, the Minister of Public Health warned yesterday that the disease will continue to increase significantly over the next four weeks due to the rains that are being recorded all over the country.

Public Health Minister Bautista Rojas Gomez told Diario Libre reporters that in the last 24 hours more than 100 suspected cases were registered across the country. Of these, 26 are in the Luis Eduardo Aybar, Santo Socorro and Francisco Moscoso Puello hospitals in the National District. The rest were reported in San Juan de la Maguana, Santiago, Azua and San Pedro de Macoris where the authorities have confirmed several outbreaks. The patients who have been hospitalized, including several children, he added, are making good progress.

In San Pedro de Macoris, the Minister of Health said that the medical staff has been strengthened with the support of the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), and an epidemiological control was established to monitor the cases with diarrhea.

Other measures announced by Rojas Gomez in the fight against the disease include contracting epidemiologists for fieldwork and increasing the number of rehydration units in the barrios and cities to prevent the further spread of the disease.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
People, people. If you read anything about cholera, you will see that it is, literally, a sh!t-eating disease!! Yes, you ate somebody's sh~t. No more no less.

So, do you go down to the barrios where that black gunk through or in back of the houses is supposed to be the sewer? Where people defecate and urinate in any moving water, the same water they use to bathe in? The came water they cook in?

The belief that "the water will carry it away" is so entrenched that education and a good 2x4 upside the head is the only way that they will learn, it seems. That, combined with the eternal "let the government do it" fixation is a major cause of all of this.

Of course 500 years of near perfect ignorance is another contributing factor....the small group that do know a thing or two are so far removed from this that they do not even blink...as kids and people die...why should they? Their kids are fine...

So drink with ice cubes from major companies, brush with bottled water...be smart...

But do not go all wishy=washy on us, Puleeze!

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Yes", Hillbilly,You Are Right,Up To A Point!

They,can still,"GET YOU"!

I went to the meat dept. at "Super Mercado National" in Arroyo Hondo this morning.I asked the woman for 2 packages of ground veal,each a pound and a half.She got two trays,and,using a metal spoon,put some meat in each tray.She then weighed the trays.There must have been too much in one tray,and not enough in the other.Using her bare hand,she grabbed a handful of veal from one tray,and put it in the other tray! :ermm::paranoid: I thanked her,and then put both trays behind the fabric softener shelf.I have seen the butchers,who wear disposable gloves,talk on,and dial,the store phone while cutting,and wrapping,meat.I worked in hospitals here,and many doctors,and most nurses,know nothing about,"cross contamination"!Can you expect more in a supermarket?Many of the employees at this "SM National" live in,"La Puya de Arroyo Hondo",one of the worst areas for Cholera cases!
Dominicans cook on only one setting,HIGH,and cook meat until it is always overdone.Takes the place of sanitation!
"Canned Food" anyone???????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited: