Cholera Travel Advise

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
What are the pre cautions that the govt of DR is issuing to its people to protect/prevent cholera? I will be there in Santo Domingo for two weeks. Not at a resort Not at a nice hotel. I caught one bug one time from a pollo carbon stand that about killed me. Now I pack my suitcase with protein bars and bring my own Jim Beam. Probably will be spending time between Los Mameys and the Hippodromo area. I dont use my tap water for anything but bathing and even then I make sure I dont open my mouth. I drink bottle water but not to sure how reliable that is as with ice also dont know how reliable bagged ice is. It could just be tap water also. Never really know with all of the money changing hands. SO what is the very best way to protect myself other than washing hands frequently espc after using restrooms which I dont know why one wouldnt do that anyways.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Good site. I already am working on my DR emergency first aid kit. Got Lactated Ringers ready. But I had never really thought of washing dishes in treated water although now when I think about it, it makes sense.

SHALENA

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Now I pack my suitcase with protein bars and bring my own Jim Beam.

the jim beam, which means u know ur booze, is imported, thus safe. The precautions taken by the government are quite simple. They pay some local docs some money and give them bright yellow t-shirts proclaiming they are experts. Then these so-called experts proceed to tell people you will get cholera by touching other people and by sneezing...

oops they forgot about the water...

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
Good site. I already am working on my DR emergency first aid kit. Got Lactated Ringers ready.

Anything handy outside the generic first aid kit that I should be bringing? I picked up the antibiotic cream and that kind of stuff. I really REALLY hate taking Cipro. That entire kind of antibiotic gives me crazy dreams and hallucinations. Last time, I thought there was a sea turtle crawling on the wall. :chinese:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am a nurse so I always have IV fluids, tubing, and different size angiocaths to start IVs. Antibiotics you can get there at the farmacia, also they have there the packet that you mix with bottled water to treat less severe dehydration. They say that IV fluids are needed only in severe situations but if one of my kids gets cholera, I'm sure not waiting for it to get severe to give them some IV fluids, it is given at a normal rate based on weight for children. Usually the loading dose does it and then they can just drink after that. For cholera, that's all I have thats out of the ordinary. Lactated Ringers is recommended but Normal Saline can be used if you don't have any.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I will ask a doctor here at work which antibiotic is recommended for cholera

SHALENA

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
I appreciate it! I heard that cholera likes type O blood. Guess what I have?

DUM DUM DUMMMM....

(I'm only staying 6 weeks, and my host family are professional people. I'm just going to go OCD on hygiene.)

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
IN Today's news:
Cholera cases mounting

With more than 100 cases reported in the last day, some public hospitals serving slum areas are being overwhelmed with the demand for treatment. The Ministry is being criticized for having lowered their guard in prevention measures in the slums.

At a time when the emergency room and other areas of the Antonio Musa Hospital in San Pedro de Macoris are overflowing with suspected cases, the Minister of Public Health warned yesterday that the disease will continue to increase significantly over the next four weeks due to the rains that are being recorded all over the country.

Public Health Minister Bautista Rojas Gomez told Diario Libre reporters that in the last 24 hours more than 100 suspected cases were registered across the country. Of these, 26 are in the Luis Eduardo Aybar, Santo Socorro and Francisco Moscoso Puello hospitals in the National District. The rest were reported in San Juan de la Maguana, Santiago, Azua and San Pedro de Macoris where the authorities have confirmed several outbreaks. The patients who have been hospitalized, including several children, he added, are making good progress.

In San Pedro de Macoris, the Minister of Health said that the medical staff has been strengthened with the support of the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO), and an epidemiological control was established to monitor the cases with diarrhea.

Other measures announced by Rojas Gomez in the fight against the disease include contracting epidemiologists for fieldwork and increasing the number of rehydration units in the barrios and cities to prevent the further spread of the disease.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Per one of my general surgeons...
Oral Vancomycin
Cipro
Flagyl

Both the Cipro and Flagyl can be given IV, the Vancomycin MUST be oral

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Per one of my general surgeons...
Oral Vancomycin
Cipro
Flagyl

Both the Cipro and Flagyl can be given IV, the Vancomycin MUST be oral

SHALENA

That Flagyl is wicked stuff... can really upset the system.... No Jim Beam w/ it !!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
What about taking Dukoral, the Cholera and Traveler's diarrhea vaccine prior to traveling?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
If you can get Dukoral (not in USA), take it and just take the precautions you always take when traveling to a warm destination...don't drink the tap water, do not eat raw food, etc etc...

kreegs1

Feb 1, 2011
I keep reading that there is oral medication available. Can this be bought over the counter at pharmacists in DR? Is there more than 1 medication, does anyone know the cost or availability?

Thanks