Travel from USA to DR with a Pet Bird?

dyanne

May 24, 2011
Hello!

Have any of you traveled from the USA to the DR with a pet bird? I am moving to the DR soon for work and really want to bring my small pet bird.

So far, I have done research and it seems that I will need the following:
1) Export Permit from the US Fish & Wildlife department and the bird will need to be checked by an Inspector in Miami, FL before the flight
2) an International Health Certificated from a USDA certified vet

I am trying to get in touch with someone at the DR embassy office in the USA to find out if there is anything else that will be needed. I want to make sure that I have all the correct paperwork so that I will have no problem bringing the bird into the DR and then back into the USA if I have to in a couple of years. On their website I read that only a health certificate is required.

I read online that I have to fly into Santo Domingo and have an Animal Control officer check the permit and paperwork and pay a $10 fee. I just want to make sure nothing else is needed or if it will be quarantined.

I'm also researching airlines that allow me to fly carry-on with a bird from Miami to Santo Domingo.

Please let me know if you have any information or have traveled with a pet bird!

Thank you!!
Dyanne

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
No advice, but kudos to you for choosing to do this :)

I think many birds live long lives, and it would be sad to see it move homes if it didn't have to.

I imagine you won't run into issues anyways!

dyanne

May 24, 2011
Thank you Jeff! My bird is only 2 and he can live to at least 20 years so I want him to come...he is very small and very smart. I am sure that I will bring him with me. I just need to find a small condo for us that will allow him to live with me!

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Thank you Jeff! My bird is only 2 and he can live to at least 20 years so I want him to come...he is very small and very smart. I am sure that I will bring him with me. I just need to find a small condo for us that will allow him to live with me!

I don't see that you will have a problem with finding some place to live with him here or even problem with getting him into the country, it is getting him back to the states that maybe the problem so just make sure you have all of your correct paperwork with you. Also check the airlines because some do not allow birds. Best of luck to you and your featured friend. :)

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com

No worries about finding a place to accept animals! I never heard of a place that doesn't!

Can you share a pic of him? :D Now I'm curious!

dyanne

May 24, 2011
CuriousWatson.jpg

victorvt.2011

May 31, 2011
Its good to know the information about the birds but the problem is that",its difficult to carry the bird in the plane
so you need discuss with that person who knows the information about the
airlines which will allow to carry birds
with you

victorvt.2011

May 31, 2011
yes,if you have a person who can guide you about the traveling of the bird with you in the plane,
so you can easily travel
in the plane to shift from one place to another

vikas_om5

Jun 4, 2011
You have to take the permission from your known person of the airport, by which you can get the information about the travelogue of the person with pet birds

dyanne

May 24, 2011
Thanks! I actually found two airlines that will allow me to travel with my bird on the plane. I have to buy a special small cage that is approved by the airline that he will go inside of and I will carry him with me onto the plane and the cage will fit on the floor right in front of me. He will always be with me and I have to do a lot of other paperwork too. I talked to the DR embassy the other day and they told me what I needed to do and it is not hard. I have to fly into Santo Domingo and meet with the Sanidad Animal officer to look at him and his paperwork. I am thinking that maybe now I will get him a USA Pet Passport that is good for three years in case I want to travel with him again.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
choose a good day with the weather, let the bird fly ahead and meet you down here. will do it good. its what they are good at and what was intended for them. if it doesn't meet you here it probably didn't love you that much anyway.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
That is good. I do not know much about it. but as well as I know there are some specific rules for pets in immigration.

Victoria, while I appreciate your need to assist people, you might want to look at the dates of the last posts you're answering as this isn't the first one you've revived... just a friendly recommendation.