clothes changing, footwear

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
I've been reading through the forums on how Dominicans change clothes a lot. Probably quite practical given the climate. This led me to two questions:

When it says they wear slippers inside, is it the fuzzy kind, or the flip-flop kind?

Do they change into shorts and a t-shirt once home or ?

Thinking back, I have rarely seen an American wear any kind of footwear in the house. Very interesting.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
I dont care i get home and change right away especially now that is very very hot! footwear? well no carpets over here or i will say most of the homes will just have small carpets but not the whole floor, it will be very smelly :p so people wear flip-flops, I particularly have a pair only for the house... if you dont mind... Why you ask?

jabuti

Mar 13, 2011
Partly because I am going to stay in someone's house, so I want to FIT IN (I know, the dreaded topic). I don't want to overpack.

Another part of me is interested in the social aspect of it all. The only people I know wearing chancletas in the house are foreign-born. Many gringos leave their outdoors shoes on, over carpeting, tracking all that dirt in. Or walk outside barefoot, then hop into bed. Interesting logic.

I personally dislike carpeting and do wear chancetas in the house. Outside, sandals that don't make so much noise. :)

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I've been reading through the forums on how Dominicans change clothes a lot. Probably quite practical given the climate. This led me to two questions:

When it says they wear slippers inside, is it the fuzzy kind, or the flip-flop kind?

Do they change into shorts and a t-shirt once home or ?

Thinking back, I have rarely seen an American wear any kind of footwear in the house. Very interesting.

I used to change when I got home after work, now I do about half the time (into shorts/t-shirt).
I leave my shoes on if I don't change. I don't put my shoes on my bed/couch if I'm sitting there.
Cleaning isn't an issue, since we have someone that cleans for use, and like sush said, no carpets here.

If I change, its flip-flops for me, or I will walk bare-foot inside (I try not too).

I never see my Dominican friends in "crappy" clothes (i don't know a better word :p), they simply change from day wear, to evening wear if we go out to the bar.

Leave your shoes in another persons house. When you visit (?) wear footwear all the time, until you notice what they do.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Tile floors here are easy to clean and in most cases swept and washed daily. So flip flops are a good option, some use their bare feet, but in most homes you just enter with your shoes and leave them on if you so choose. I change into flip flops for comfort - and yes I have a pair just for the casa!

Feb 7, 2007
Dress shoes for outside, "chancleta" for inside, but not just any chancleta, nice, comfy, cushioned leather chancleta. Chancleta for home use only, don't go with it outside. But I take it to the resorts. I put the shoes on/off at the door, it helps to not get the floors dirty. No carpets, just tiles, and here in Higuey I have not seen carpets even in the luxuries villas where some of my neighbors live...