fees for international wire transfers?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
over on a Haiti list serv there is a rousing discussion of a $1.50 fee that is to placed on each remittance and the question came up of whether or not this could be circumvented by a bank transfer.

does anyone have any information on the fees for international wire transfers into the DR, just for information?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've done it Annie - my US bank charges me a flat $45 for the wire transfer to my DR bank, whether I'm sending $5 or $5,000. $1.50 is sounding pretty good!!!

AE

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Rip off....

I have been charged as much as $50.00 per incoming wire to the DR from the US albeit I have never seen the documentation from the bank as proof of cost, the instruction clearly state to add $50.00 service fee to the total due for incoming wires....there are also time that the intermediatary bank also charges fees along the way, we cannot wire direct from the US, we need the intermediatary bank for all wire send....so take the buck fifty and call it cheap....:classic:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I did a transfer of $xx,xxx and the cost was $33 out of RBC in Canada and $20 by the BHD. Money was in my account and available to me in two days, so perhaps the cost was reasonable.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I believe Banco Popular charges $55 to send and $6 to receive for bank to bank transfers, regardless of amount. I once received USD$ at Banco Popular through MoneyGram..and they will only give pesos on the DR end. There was no additional charge other than the commission MoneyGram charged the sender.

Last edited:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
yes, but these are already on top of the Western Union transfer fees.. which are high

ongoing discussion

thanks for the input

Western Union is the biggest rip off, they wanted to charge me $116.00 to wire $X,XXX.00 to have funds immediately available that day. We opted to send $xxx.oo for a $45.00 fee, then turns out they wired in pesos instead of US$ and the exchange was horrible, I called corporate head Qtrs to argue the exchange should be in US$ not pesos they said they couldnt change it....that was the first and last time I used them....:dead:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I don't know the cost to receive money on the DR side of the transaction, but the Citigold branch of Citibank doesn't charge wire fees. However, you need a bank account, and it can take a few days for the money to be available, so it's not really WU novio/a friendly. It's excellent, however, if you need to do the typical inter-institution transfers.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well I don't know. we've been through this dozens of times. HIFX.co,uk charge no fees and they have a branch or affiliate in the USA. Banco Popular charge me US$5 regardless of the sum.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
If you have a BHD bank account in US$ and you have another account with Bank of America then the charges will only be what the Bank of America charge you for the wire transfer fees 24US as they are afiliated. Banco popular has a USA branch which only charge you about 24US for the transfer fees. So what I suggest is to go either one of the banks and find out what are their charges. But do remember that you need to have a Dollars account in order to receive Dollars because if you account is in pesos then will receive pesos at the exchange rate of 37.55.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you have a BHD bank account in US$ and you have another account with Bank of America then the charges will only be what the Bank of America charge you for the wire transfer fees 24US as they are afiliated. Banco popular has a USA branch which only charge you about 24US for the transfer fees. So what I suggest is to go either one of the banks and find out what are their charges. But do remember that you need to have a Dollars account in order to receive Dollars because if you account is in pesos then will receive pesos at the exchange rate of 37.55.

Ok.. well this is now for my edification. Can you transfer money from a dollar account to a peso account at BHD online or do you have to go to the office? At Banreservas, you have to do in person. (not that BanReservas was ever the most modern of banks)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ok.. well this is now for my edification. Can you transfer money from a dollar account to a peso account at BHD online or do you have to go to the office? At Banreservas, you have to do in person. (not that BanReservas was ever the most modern of banks)

You can do it online, but you need to be set up with a special page for this. Ask at the bank, and they could do it for you. Also it is in Spanish.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Use XOOM.com

Check their web site.I can send money from my USA accounts,and pick it up here in a few hours at any BHD branch,as well as other sites.THEIR fees are given before you decide to 'click".

Used them many times,no problems.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I regularly transfer money from my Belgian account to banco popular. Costs are a fixed fee of 8 euro + 0.1% of the amount send. Once over 2,500 euro it drops to 0.05%. Over 50,000 there is no percentage attached. No charges at banco popular. Beats the ATM big time.