BBQ Smoker

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Metal guys make them all the time out of barrels and angle iron.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Do you mean the small metal box you put wood chips in and stick on the bottom of a gas grill? I think they have those at Ochoa and Ferreteria Americana...sometimes at Nacional in Santiago, maybe other locations...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We bought ourselves a very nice BBQ in Ochoa a couple of weeks ago, came with aaaa list of 'gadgets' you can add to it...of which a smoker and we thought immediately...damn damn damn, why didn't we look for that smoker when we were there because we love to smoke our own fish. Not sure if Ochoa has it in stock, have to call them.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
make your own.... take wood chips... mesquite, hickory, or whatever.... soak in H2O. wrap chips loosely in an envelope of heavy weight aluminum foil.. or double thickness of regular foil. pierce a bunch of holes in foil. throw foil pouch on coals in back of grill or on heating elements. close lid to grill... you got a smoker.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
make your own.... take wood chips... mesquite, hickory, or whatever.... soak in H2O. wrap chips loosely in an envelope of heavy weight aluminum foil.. or double thickness of regular foil. pierce a bunch of holes in foil. throw foil pouch on coals in back of grill or on heating elements. close lid to grill... you got a smoker.

u are a life-saver... and u saved us 30$ importing one from the states... lol

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks guys

No I am talking about a big rectangular standup metalbox with door and different racks inside

anything like that?
Manu

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
We bought ourselves a very nice BBQ in Ochoa a couple of weeks ago, came with aaaa list of 'gadgets' you can add to it...of which a smoker and we thought immediately...damn damn damn, why didn't we look for that smoker when we were there because we love to smoke our own fish. Not sure if Ochoa has it in stock, have to call them.

Ive used several of the small smoker boxes and the tin foil pouch method...they really just give a "smokey" flavor to food....designed to mimic the charcoal flavor missing when you use a gas grill They don't produce nearly enough smoke to "smoke" fish or meat...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Molina has "chinese boxes" for about 14K DOP. Ochoa and other hardware store have BBQs.
Lots of options.

HB

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am lazy and was thinking about importing a Bradley Smoker. Only downside is it is electric. I know it is "cheating" but I am not a huge fan of smoking. . .just a huge fan of EATING!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I had a real smoker before. Used to smoke full turkey breasts in it... awesome. Have to say though, it was a little P.I.T.A. to use it. After a while it just sat there in my garage getting in the way all the time. finally sold it on sidewalk sale for $10. It was a steel cylinder, with a "L" brackets located at several levels to support the charcoal rack and bowl, the food racks, legs and a lid with a small vent. Very simple construction, could easily be home made if you had the racks and a steel can of some kind, a few L brackets, a few self tapping sheet metal screws... You're good to go. steel trash can would work great if they still make them. The down side is that the smoker was so cheap to buy in the first place (Wal-Mart), it prolly wouldn't be worth the effort to DIY it unless you can't find one to buy.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Yes
thank you Tom
does not have to be that big ,but a real smoker box

since e body says the beef is tough in DR ,I thought a smoker would do the trick
Manu