The latest police crackdown in Cabarete - good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
14474-police-officer-holding-a-flashlight-clipart-by-djart.jpg

I'm seeing online that two retired policemen from Quebec are assisting with traffic control in Cabarete.
Focus for now - training local police, checking for functional headlights, and parking control.

"Other suggestions the newcomers hope to be able to enact are well-marked public parking, speed bumps to stop traffic speeding through the center, clear painted lines on the road so drivers can see where they should not park, and allocated parking for taxis and motoconchos."

They plan to contribute to the effort for at least 2 years.

new moves for road safety in cabarete
14473-copper-policeman-police-officer-cop-using-a-walkie-talkie-clipart-by-djart.jpg

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Are you sure this is in Cabarete?
Have you tried 'Speeding' through the town lately?( Or parking on a weekend?)
It's a single lane street half the time.

The best solution would be a Cabarete bypass for through traffic and an enormous free parking area at each end for visitors.
I feel sorry for les Flics Quebecois.

Aug 21, 2007

I'm seeing online that two retired policemen from Quebec are assisting with traffic control in Cabarete.
Focus for now - training local police, checking for functional headlights, and parking control.

"Other suggestions the newcomers hope to be able to enact are well-marked public parking, speed bumps to stop traffic speeding through the center, clear painted lines on the road so drivers can see where they should not park, and allocated parking for taxis and motoconchos."

14473-copper-policeman-police-officer-cop-using-a-walkie-talkie-clipart-by-djart.jpg

I say good use of the resources....NYC police coming down for long weekends and vacations......lots of knowledge and skills to pass on.....whether they want to or not while they are here....that may be a different story.

Lindsey

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I say good use of the resources....NYC police coming down for long weekends and vacations......lots of knowledge and skills to pass on.....whether they want to or not while they are here....that may be a different story.

Lindsey

Soon they will have no reason to come to the DR. ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Eddy, you are so right. i said it before. they do not come here for the Jungle Jim Safari tour.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
COPS inDR

The last thing DR needs are Canadian and US police coming to "help".

The US is a a veritable police state. Pure big government tyranny over the individual.

The "Help" is nothing more than slow creep and export of the police state. The end game: To destroy liberty in the DR and make life miserable for them as it has become for most Americans.

They are not needed here. Cabarete has done perfectly fine without them.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i think this a great but should be applied to more levels of public service, for example, how about some retired NY sanitation workers, (garbage men), to come down and show the locals how to operate.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
No.

more over paid thieves.... I mean civil servants coming down. They dont just bring their "skills", but also their attitudes and belief systems which are not always good.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Teachers, doctors, engineers, economists,planners,writers, philanthopists, musicians, artists, scientists,ecologists. biologists, environmentalists,entrepreneurs, investors,hydrologists,geologists etc......
Out of all those useful and required skills,

And they send out-of-work cops ????

I guess I missed something.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Police

Teachers, doctors, engineers, economists,planners,writers, philanthopists, musicians, artists, scientists,ecologists. biologists, environmentalists,entrepreneurs, investors,hydrologists,geologists etc......

No you missed nothing. Its nonsense. Next stop - Police State.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Hopefully these so called skilled retired cops can teach the police here to stop and seize all the motos without lights:rolleyes:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
crooked NYC cops and sanitation workers ? just what the DR needs :ermm:

heck , i can start coming down and showing them some washington dc political skills. :laugh:

May 5, 2007

I don't know how anyone can expect much from DR cops until they are paid a living wage

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Good point IslandDreaming. However everyone is missing the point, it's not important who is enforcing the rules, what is important is that the locals are AWARE of the rules & why they are there.

It's about education - of both the police & the drivers/riders.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I remember about 5 years ago an upper floor nightclub, in the middle of town, went up in flames and took out two other shops because the fire truck could not get through because of the traffic jam-up on the street. Parking needs to be addressed but they really need alot of designated parking spots and a better system for delivery trucks to deliver their goods.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
The last thing DR needs are Canadian and US police coming to "help".

The US is a a veritable police state. Pure big government tyranny over the individual.

The "Help" is nothing more than slow creep and export of the police state. The end game: To destroy liberty in the DR and make life miserable for them as it has become for most Americans.

They are not needed here. Cabarete has done perfectly fine without them.

Dude you missed the point with your anti American speech the police were from Canada and the retired NYC police are there chasing a@# spending money (give it a shot) not tyring to teach dominica police how to do their job.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
S?ret? du Qu?bec

Dude you missed the point with your anti American speech the police were from Canada and the retired NYC police are there chasing a@# spending money (give it a shot) not tyring to teach dominica police how to do their job.

......Mais won't they bespeaking in Quebecois accented Spanglish, how will people understand what they are saying? :p:p:p:p

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Hopefully these so called skilled retired cops can teach the police here to stop and seize all the motos without lights

....But they won't see them comming

Last edited:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

I know,
We'll take over and get all the Dominicans to leave, then things will be just like home!!!!
........Why are we here again??? Sunshine and beaches only ???
Sure the country needs all the help it can get, however people need to ask for your help, want and accept it.
There is such a thing as a national mind set and mentality, and it may differ from our world view.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know,
We'll take over and get all the Dominicans to leave, then things will be just like home!!!!
........Why are we here again??? Sunshine and beaches only ???
Sure the country needs all the help it can get, however people need to ask for your help, want and accept it.
There is such a thing as a national mind set and mentality, and it may differ from our world view.

Well said. Some of us think we can be the tail that wags the dog. Not gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.