Dominican ex-pats can vote

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I think it stinks and only serves as an additional illustration of what's wrong with this country. The new bill/law allows Dominican ex-pats to vote in Dominican elections etc regardless of how much they contribute to the Dominican economy or how long they've lived away. But ex-pats from other countries have no voice in politics here regardless of how long they have lived here and how many thousands of US$ they have contributed to the Dominican economy. Are they frightened that we would not be wooed by promises of a new motor bike or an extra 5 lbs of rice?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Once you have your citizenship here an expat can vote as well. Why on earth should non citizens be allowed to vote and shape policy???? As residents we are guests in this country!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
not that unusual. just one example - u.s. citizens can send in absentee ballots from abroad. residents in u.s. can not vote until they become citizens. not sure how is in other countries.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
CFA I am pretty sure it is similar in all democracies. Citizenship give the RIGHT to vote and shape policy.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
In some countries permanent residents can vote at local elections. Like for the election of the mayor where you live. I think that would be fair.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
And the price of an expat vote is much higher - how many Dominicans were employed at the consulate in NYC at the last count?

But as others have mentioned, most of us have the right to vote in our home countries - a right I've never exercised.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think it stinks and only serves as an additional illustration of what's wrong with this country. The new bill/law allows Dominican ex-pats to vote in Dominican elections etc regardless of how much they contribute to the Dominican economy or how long they've lived away. But ex-pats from other countries have no voice in politics here regardless of how long they have lived here and how many thousands of US$ they have contributed to the Dominican economy. Are they frightened that we would not be wooed by promises of a new motor bike or an extra 5 lbs of rice?

I think it is because they continue to send money back home to their families.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But ex-pats from other countries have no voice in politics here regardless of how long they have lived here and how many thousands of US$ they have contributed to the Dominican economy.
Why not just apply for Dominican citizenship?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
In some countries permanent residents can vote at local elections. Like for the election of the mayor where you live. I think that would be fair.

Thats a tough one for the constitutional law. In Belgium we had a precedence for some cities where a lot of ex-pats (especially from Holland) are living. The law was rejected.
I, as a Belgian ex-pat are obliged by law to vote in Belgium.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

If you want to vote in the DR why don't you apply to become a citizen and stop complaining? It's very easy to become a DR citizen.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Why not just apply for Dominican citizenship?

Yes, that is exactly what he have to do, I have the N-400 form already filed. I'm just waiting to have an extra US $ 680. to send it out....
I want to vote in the next US election and this is the only way I can do it.

JJ