US Citizen Travel to Cuba from the DR

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Hey Everyone--

I am an American who regularly visits the DR. Some of my Dominican friends are in the process of planning a trip to Cuba and I really want to go with them. However, it is my understanding that it is technically illegal for a US citizen to visit Cuba without first obtaining some sort of dispensation from the US government.

I guess the US government gives these travel permissions to religious travelers, business travelers, academics and certain other categories of travellers. I do not fit into any of those categories, as I would be a simple tourist.

Does anyone know of some way I can visit Cuba without committing some kind of statutory crime?

--Thanks!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Get a humanitarian or educational waiver from the US State Dept.

That's about it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can fly to Cuba from Santo Domingo. Yes, this is technically illegal, but lots of Americans are visiting there, going from Canada, Mexico, DR, etc. Cuba puts no stamp in your passport. Emily Tours in Santo Domingo specializes in travel to Cuba and will make all the arrangements, including the visa you need. The visa by the way, is a separate piece of paper, not a stamp in your passport.

http://www.emelytours.com.do/

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Hi Ken, So because there is no stamp in my passport, the United States government would have no way of knowing I visited, right? Thanks!

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011
Unless the law has recently changed, the US law does not prohibit US citizens from traveling to Cuba. It makes the spending of money by US citizens to travel to Cuba and to spend money while in Cuba unlawl. That is why it is callled a travel ban. You therefore can have a non-US citizen pay your expenses and legally travel to Cuba. However, I would have a sworn statement, with supporting documents, from the person. I would also check to make sure that the law has not changed. I also suggest calling the State Depatment and learned what proof is required.

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011
Correct, but if they review your passport closely for some reason, they will see an exit stamp from the DR and then another entrance stamp to the DR. Thus, they will know that you went somewhere and then came back to the DR. And, they will know that you went to Cuba.

However, as noted in another post, many US citizens have went to Cuba from DR and other countries without any problems.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
And make sure that you don't lose/misplace or have stolen your passport while in Cuba. Not that it's a big problem ... but there will be no way that you can explain that to the US Gov.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
As mentioned, Cuban officials will not stamp your passport and I highly doubt you will have a US immigration official reviewing all your stamps to see you have one departure that never went anywhere.

Try Cubana Airlines. They have several departures from SDQ to Cuba: Cubana de Aviacin

No worries. Go and have a good time.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I'm a Canadian with a Canadian passport but live full time in the USA with a green card can I go to Cuba.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
I'm a permanent resident of the United States with my alien card. I am a Canadian citizen with the Canadian passport being a permanent resident of United States with an alien card to these restrictions to Cuba obliged to me. Still being a Canadian citizen when a Canadian passport would I be legal to go to travel to Cuba.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You are Canadian you can go to Cuba any time. As said before Cuba will not stamp your passport and if you leave from Canada all the better.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Correct, but if they review your passport closely for some reason, they will see an exit stamp from the DR and then another entrance stamp to the DR. Thus, they will know that you went somewhere and then came back to the DR. And, they will know that you went to Cuba.
Incorrect. I have this for trips into Haiti (but not always; there seems to be some selective application...)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

However, as noted in another post, many US citizens have went to Cuba from DR and other countries without any problems.

While it is probably unlikely you will be caught, there is that chance. It is illegal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm a permanent resident of the United States with my alien card. I am a Canadian citizen with the Canadian passport being a permanent resident of United States with an alien card to these restrictions to Cuba obliged to me. Still being a Canadian citizen when a Canadian passport would I be legal to go to travel to Cuba.

Thats an interesting question because being a US permanent resident is always likened to being a"non-voting citizen"..... namely subject to all the benefits and the restrictions of a US citizen.

It would be interesting to get an informed answer here..... if thats possible .

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thats an interesting question because being a US permanent resident is always likened to being a"non-voting citizen"..... namely subject to all the benefits and the restrictions of a US citizen.

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS, TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.

Permanent US resident and a legal US visa holder are also subject to the restrictions. :(

I traveled to Cuba when I was a college student in the US (student visa), flew through Cancun, upon my return to the US I was asked by the Immigration officer where I was I replied traveling through Mexico, he just smiled, no stamps on my passport, but 2 entry stamps into Mexico.

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011

The US law applies to you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats good to know..... the 'non-voting citizen' rule applies.
Thank you Africaida and fdttwin.

I am a Cdn citizen and a US resident...but not a permanent resident.

I have avoided that status because of the obligations attached to it.

fdttwin

Feb 14, 2011
Incorrect. I have this for trips into Haiti (but not always; there seems to be some selective application...)

My statemnt is not incorrect. The assumption will be that you went to Cuba; thereofre, you will have to explain that you went to Haiti. You don't really believe that ICI Is stupid and don't konw what people are doing.

ICE sometimes check for this information to see the countires that a person has visited, when they suspect the person of "something"; i.e. drugs. And, I have provided legal advice to people who were caught sneaking into Cuba when they were unable to explain the lack of exit and entrance stamps in their passport. i mentioned in a prior post several months ago that the fine for first time offenders was $7000 US. I have not been involved in any of these cases since Obama became president. But, it rarely happens.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My statemnt is not incorrect. The assumption will be that you went to Cuba; thereofre, you will have to explain that you went to Haiti. You don't really believe that ICI Is stupid and don't konw what people are doing.

ICE sometimes check for this information to see the countires that a person has visited, when they suspect the person of "something"; i.e. drugs. And, I have provided legal advice to people who were caught sneaking into Cuba when they were unable to explain the lack of exit and entrance stamps in their passport. i mentioned in a prior post several months ago that the fine for first time offenders was $7000 US. I have not been involved in any of these cases since Obama became president. But, it rarely happens.

If you don't mind me asking:

How did these people get caught ? Random ? Overzealous officer ? Did they bring anything from Cuba (cigars...)?

Last edited:

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
The fine/penalty "could" be even higher ... if they decide to go after "lying" to a federal official (customs) .... just be careful out there!