Riu Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2007
I stayed there couple of times, and after Iberostar POP it's probably the best hotel complex drink/food/entertainment-wise in Puerto Plata area. The beach is a bit rocky, but I don't go to resorts to stay on the beach! I am the pool/drinks/food guy. Riu Bachata is marketed by tour operators as the "best" of all 3, and in my experience they have a slightly better service than other 2 hotels. You can take lunches at any of the 3, the diners at your own hotel.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Been there, done that. Would not go back. It is fine for those who want to be isolated.
None of the Riu places are really marketed toward singles.
For singles, find a place in Cab as CFA123 referenced in another thread, or find a place in Sosua.

Enjoy!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I agree that it's not the place for singles but it is a fine resort complex. Service, food, and entainment are above the average for the DR. The sports beach is good, but the other beach is gravelly.

matthills1

Aug 22, 2010
Yes the Mambo is shutting at the end of this month due to low occupancy people booked to stay there are being moved to the other 2 hotels. I was there in may and the hotel was DEAD - maybe 150 guests maximum.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Thanks all! Chicagoan- What didn't you like about it? When did you go?

I was there a few years ago. Other than the food, there was nothing that I liked.

Customer service was very poor.
The beach was not nice.
The location is isolated, and it is a very long walk to get off of the property.

There were many other problems, but I don't want to sound like I am just being picky. I was treated very badly at that resort.

By the way, I have stayed at several resorts in the DR, and that is the only one that I would never consider returning to.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i have been to all 3 with friends of mine, and i am still wondering why anyone would pay to go there.

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
Has anyone visited Playa Dorada in the last months? We booked already in january and now I've read they closed a lot of hotels... Is it still alive?

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Any thoughts on the Riu complex? How is it for singles? Which of the 3 hotels is best?

It doesn't matter which Riu hotel you stay at. They all use the same beach ( which is small and crowded IMHO) My son got married there and everything was fine. Food was fine, but the location is very isolated. There is a Disco and I am sure there are lots of opportunities to meet single people, however...you are in an isolated resort. It is not actually located in Puerto Plata, but at least 30 min. West of there.
If I were a young person, looking for some fun, a great beach, a good hotel and lots of young people I would opt for Cabarete. There is the Wyndham Tangerine and the Tropical Playa Laguna Beach. There are also options of just renting an apartment.
I love being there for 5 months each year.

Status
Not open for further replies.