Calling All Techies

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Please suffer me and my friend.....

Said friend is desperate for good Internet capabilities in RD and is exhausting most of the avenues.
He is quite "cautious" with a buck and even moreso with a peso:devious:

He has found the website shown below ...... does this make sense to anybody here?

All gobblelygook to us.:disappoin

Mobile Carrier Settings for Claro Dominican Republic

Thanks

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Please suffer me and my friend.....

Said friend is desperate for good Internet capabilities in RD and is exhausting most of the avenues.
He is quite "cautious" with a buck and even moreso with a peso:devious:

He has found the website shown below ...... does this make sense to anybody here?

All gobblelygook to us.:disappoin

Mobile Carrier Settings for Claro Dominican Republic

Thanks

Finely my area of expertise! (I work for a cellphone company ;) )

If he enters internet.ideasclaro.com.do into the internet settings of his phone, he will then be able to access the internet via the phone (and presumably attach to PC and surf). He must use a Claro SIM card in the phone.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Everything.... can we do this w/ the prepaid card? or better w/ full contract service?

Or am i ignorant..... this is how you do it w/o full Claro service ?

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Thanks Everything.... can we do this w/ the prepaid card? or better w/ full contract service?

Or am i ignorant..... this is how you do it w/o full Claro service ?

You can do it with prepaid, or contract. I have no idea about pricing, but looking for an "unlimited data plan" package is best... likely a contract.

Where does your friend live? We just got Wind Telecom in our house in SD and its turned out well. It's portable internet, 18 month contract, 1600 a month. 2MB. You will get less speed from a Claro phone service, and the cost will likely be the same or more.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can do it with prepaid, or contract. I have no idea about pricing, but looking for an "unlimited data plan" package is best... likely a contract.

Where does your friend live? We just got Wind Telecom in our house in SD and its turned out well. It's portable internet, 18 month contract, 1600 a month. 2MB. You will get less speed from a Claro phone service, and the cost will likely be the same or more.

We are in Cabrera..... service isn't great... he's trying to get a hard wire to his casa but its a bit far --up a hill, etc.
Claro isnt anxious to string the wire.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Finely my area of expertise! (I work for a cellphone company ;) )

If he enters internet.ideasclaro.com.do into the internet settings of his phone, he will then be able to access the internet via the phone (and presumably attach to PC and surf). He must use a Claro SIM card in the phone.

JEFF my man! Boy do I need to get a hold of you before my next trip!!! I needed a bottle of Brugal white after dealing with Claro! On my first trip out to DR I brought my Tmobile Samsung Vibrant and struck out with data so no Google Maps....man did paper maps suck lolol

On my last trip I decided to bring a BB Tour and the 'phone guy' in a little store in Bonao had a hell of time trying to get it working but he finally did. For the record, Android's version of Google Maps is absolutely beyond comparison! Guess I cant kvetch too much, it did work and I got around ok.

Here is my question for you...Would you recommend connecting the BB Tour via cdma (supposedly for 3G speeds) or stick with a sim chip and sucky speeds? What part of town you in btw?

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Stick with a SIM card, 3G speeds with Claro aren't bad at all if you are using it with a phone (unlikely the OP wishing to use it as a modem).

I've connected at least 6 Android phones with Claro without issue and used them all for at least a day.

Personally, I would never use CDMA, you are basically trapped in that case, and its just not worth it, in my opinion.

I live behind Multicentro on Churchill (in front of Blue Mall) and work in Naco, so I stay in the center of the city basically.