The boredom!

prospero

Oct 6, 2009
My god! The boredom! The stagnant city!

What is there to do? I must've been to cute little kiosks of artisans selling guayacan or horn or larimar or silver or amber necklaces about a thousand times. I've been to those presentations on "52 years of communism in Cuba", "The Era of Trujillo and Cult of Personality", "Duarte, Sanchez, and Mella - Courage for the Nation" and other gross performances of mental masturbation. I've seen the "typical" dancing in atypical dresses and hats. I've been to Guloya, Las Mascaras, the Dominico-Americano, and the Teatro Nacional. I don't know how many times I've walked a million times through the colonial zone (mostly because there's NOWHERE else one can freely walk without being hit by a car, be utterly depressed by any of the miradores or find yourself in the beautiful yet immensely boring botanical garden); down the same old streets hearing the tourist guides give five hundred different stories behind the supposedly noteworthy grate at the National Pantheon or who exactly lived at the Alcazar.

What else is there to do? Where can I go and not be surrounded by jevitos or, possibly worse (I don't even know anymore), being surrounded by inane political chatter, bachata and loudness? Where can I go to feel less like Napoleon in St Helena and more like a kid in a toy shop? Where is the culture? I don't mean music, colourful souvenirs and all those touristy things... I also don't mean the deep analyses of the Dominican Republic's contributions to Afro-Caribbean religious practices or studies on the political coups caused by mamajuana throughout the ages. No. I mean where can one go to be with decent people, talking about interesting, non-repetitive things, and enjoying a beautiful day without having to resort to cheap PLDPRDPRSC jokes or unoriginal observations about how "Nosotros los Dominicanos debemos/tenemos/hacemos/jodemos...."

I am going mad with boredom.

Stupid Wednesdays.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
prospero asks

What else is there to do? Where can I go and not be surrounded by jevitos or, possibly worse (I don't even know anymore), being surrounded by inane political chatter, bachata and loudness?

another country, perhaps?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Pretty much!! We don't live in the City, so the boredom sets in earlier!!! Loudness is cultural I think!! The music we have solved by having Sirius radio in our home.... that helps. Walking anywhere here for me is not possible. Dangerous, whether from moto's, or people........... Having a meaningful, intelligent conversation, that doesn't involve alcohol is also pretty rare, especially finding the people to have it with. We are fortunate in that we have a couple of good friends, and outside interests that keep us relatively sane. Strictly my opinion and a matter of perspective.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Make something, do some exploring, make some money, build some new relationships, cause some trouble. Just do it, my friend.

If you are bored it is your own fault, not the fault of your surroundings. You have control over your own mind, your own thoughts and your own actions. The world will not entertain you unless you are interacting with it in an appropriate way.

Get off the computer, use your body, take life by the horns and run!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hard to believe there is nothing left to see in SD. Maybe some day trips are in order to say the Perdernales, etc. With such a big international city it would seem to be easy to make friends not only with Dominicans but other countries as well and nothing better than DR1 to make that happen. Happy hunting.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I agree with Ginza. Sounds like you're observing things more than interacting with people.

The best part of DR - by a mile - is it's population. Do something to get involved with them. Take/offer a class. Volunteer. Work on some project. Learn how to do some of those dances, or speak Spanish.

It's much more fun than staring at some okey-doke paintings for the third time.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I m going to make a couple of suggestions. And let me say that if you interact with people, things will get better. You seem to be like a bird on a telephone pole, watching things go by...get into something that interests you.

Now suggestions:

Have you been to the Bellapart Museum? Or Manuel Garcia Arevalo's museum?

Second. Have you been to Santiago? Have you been to the Centro Leon? they have amazing exhibitions and there are some interesting things going on all the time. Jazz, art, anything cultural is their meat...

Besides that, look for sports activities... And 1 will be here for a week! big shows on the 18th in Santo Domingo and 19th in Santiago.

Or you could take the ferry to San Juan and report back on how it was....

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I feel your pain...because it is NOT so easy to get into Dominican life or make Dominican friends. Have you been to Librereria Cuesta? They often have events in the afternoons.. Los 10 Libros ms Vendidos
and there is an English Library behind the Episcopal Church where you might meet some folks or hook up and get involved. The thing is that you have to get involved. You can volunteer, for instance, in the new model prison system.. their headquarters is on Casimira de Moira off Cervantes.. You can take classes... You can join the bird watchers who gather at dawn on Sundays in the Botanical Gardens .. You can go out on day trips on Sunday with the (mostly young) folks at Explora Dominicana,. you can take up scuba diving... You can join a high end gym.. and meet people. Thing is most folks are WORKING.. and working very hard.. not actually sitting about at Pacos and talking.. Suggest that try Cafe Belgrado for some more interesting expats.. and get a Kindle.. or better yet, buy all the top sellers at Cuesta and become an expert.. And then perhaps figure out what you are doing here.. why you decided to come here... what is it that you have to offer .. or what it is that you have to learn....

If your Spanish is not yet perfect, you can perhaps find someone at USAD who would be willing swap hour for hour of English Spanish practice...

make sure you check on the web pages of all the embassies for all their activities

such as Embajada Alemana Santo Domingo - Cultura y Educaci?n

Alliance Fran?aise de Saint-Domingue

go volunteer

Centro Bono

you should begin to meet some interesting folks....

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Boredom

Prospero,

Strangely enough it is possible to get bored in the DR. There is insufficient intellectual stimulation.

There is no way to resolve this in a meaningful way. Take some classes maybe.

Otherwise, just learn to accept the place for what is provides. Great weather, great people, great beer, rum, cigars, great women, great baseball.

Socialize more and drink more.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I feel your pain...because it is NOT so easy to get into Dominican life or make Dominican friends. Have you been to Librereria Cuesta? They often have events in the afternoons.. Los 10 Libros ms Vendidos
and there is an English Library behind the Episcopal Church where you might meet some folks or hook up and get involved. The thing is that you have to get involved. You can volunteer, for instance, in the new model prison system.. their headquarters is on Casimira de Moira off Cervantes.. You can take classes... You can join the bird watchers who gather at dawn on Sundays in the Botanical Gardens .. You can go out on day trips on Sunday with the (mostly young) folks at Explora Dominicana,. you can take up scuba diving... You can join a high end gym.. and meet people. Thing is most folks are WORKING.. and working very hard.. not actually sitting about at Pacos and talking.. Suggest that try Cafe Belgrado for some more interesting expats.. and get a Kindle.. or better yet, buy all the top sellers at Cuesta and become an expert.. And then perhaps figure out what you are doing here.. why you decided to come here... what is it that you have to offer .. or what it is that you have to learn....

If your Spanish is not yet perfect, you can perhaps find someone at USAD who would be willing swap hour for hour of English Spanish practice...

make sure you check on the web pages of all the embassies for all their activities

such as Embajada Alemana Santo Domingo - Cultura y Educaci?n

go volunteer

Centro Bono

you should begin to meet some interesting folks....

Yea join a gym that should be good to meet folks. I dont know why it has to be a high end gym.

And I only would watch birds in a rotisserie oven.

I recommend doing a Hemingway. What was good enough for ol' Ernie should be good enough for you.

Or a Young Che, Motorcycle Diaries style.

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
The boredom might derive from spending too much time alone, places like museums are more interesting with the right companion(s). A course in Spanish (or an advanced course if you already are fairly fluent) will get you to interact with a few intelligent people (I met my best friends in Casa Goethe in the Zona Universitaria). The universities should have plenty of societies, or information about them

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Yea join a gym that should be good to meet folks. I dont know why it has to be a high end gym.

And I only would watch birds in a rotisserie oven.

I recommend doing a Hemingway. What was good enough for ol' Ernie should be good enough for you.

Or a Young Che, Motorcycle Diaries style.

i thought high end since he was looking for intelligent conversation and I extrapolated that the odds were better of finding college grad level conversation at a high end gym....

and not quite sure what a hemingway is??? writing??? OH THE BOREDOM... I will do almost ANYTHING to not WRITE.. and I am a writer!!! jejejeje

Here is another group which might suit

known as a drinking group with a running problem

Santo Domingo Hash House Harriers

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Well in order for Hemingway to write he needed topics. He was an avowed extrovert. Most of his lame books are about the Spanish Civil War. Not saying the OP has to take those measures but shoot, there are bus companies all over the whole dang island. He can do something like that. Take a bus to some point east from SD and do something out of the ordinary, then write about it. By the time he gets to Dajabon o Monte Cristi, he should have what should be a very descriptive journal.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Thank you all for your suggestions!

Here is a suggestion no one has mentioned yet....seeing as there is an apparent vast pool of immense intellect on these boards ;-) , why not try meeting some of its members? I'm sure you are bound to find some select individuals that can arouse and stimulate your cerebrum...

Heck with the right company I can have a blast shooting the breeze all day and be absolutely nowhere special. Like others have mentioned (in so many words) life is not a spectator sport...feel free to jump right in!

Aug 19, 2004
To a certain extent I found I had the same problem when I lived in Santo Domingo. I found that one of the most important aspects of Dominican society is the family and for many Dominicans life revolves round the family - if you are not part of a family the city can seem wanting in terms of things to do. Like others have suggested it is worth making short trips to other places: Constanza, Perdenales, San Juan de Maguana, Santiago, Monticristi, even Punta Cana etc - at the very least they will at least make you realise how lucky you are to be in Santo Domingo. Another possibility is to take up something like photography - I found finding a decent shot could make what appeared to be the most boring place interesting The other alternative is to find a wife (I assume you are male) - once I had married into a Dominican family I found my atitudes towards the country changed completely.