Parking Control In Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
According to an item in the Sosua News today, AMET has gotten tough on illegal parking. Probably true since lately I've seen their truck roaming the streets more often than usual:

"The last few weeks, the traffic police acts strictly against illegal parking. Especially in the main street Pedro Clisante where you may only park at one side of the road. Especially in the morning there are many car owners who think that traffic rules do not apply to them. But they are wrong! When the AMET officers encounter an illegal parking, the tow truck arrives and loads the wrong parked car to take it to the police station. After paying the fine, the car can be picked up again at the police station. This office is located on the main street of Sos?a near the city"

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
According to an item in the Sosua News today, AMET has gotten tough on illegal parking. Probably true since lately I've seen their truck roaming the streets more often than usual:

"The last few weeks, the traffic police acts strictly against illegal parking. Especially in the main street Pedro Clisante where you may only park at one side of the road. Especially in the morning there are many car owners who think that traffic rules do not apply to them. But they are wrong! When the AMET officers encounter an illegal parking, the tow truck arrives and loads the wrong parked car to take it to the police station. After paying the fine, the car can be picked up again at the police station. This office is located on the main street of Sos?a near the city"
Get real! These AMRATS are doing all possible to raise revenues. Their actions improve nothing. Meanwhile, serious crimes(drugs) are ignored. All traffic offenses are ignored, as are the moto-concho cowboys!

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Get real! These AMRATS are doing all possible to raise revenues. Their actions improve nothing. Meanwhile, serious crimes(drugs) are ignored. All traffic offenses are ignored, as are the moto-concho cowboys!
Last Sat. I was in town for the first time in 3 months. Well after the match and a few cokes at Rumba, I decided to leave for POP. It was dark and just in front of Banco Santa Cruz 2 cops on a bike start yelling at me to pull over. To my surprise my front left headlight wasn't working.:surprised They tell me to take the car to the police station and I am to pay a fine. I bang the poor light as hard as I can, and to no avail it's out. I decide to try the high beam and low and behold, it works.:D They start laughing and ask me where I'm going; home to POP. OK, no problem go home. Meanwhile there's at least 6 moto-conchos checking me out near my car with no front lights working. But all is well with them, they're moto-conchos.;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Youi say doing "all possible" then list some illegal behavior you think is ignored yet would be a source of revenue.

I don't agree that controlling parking does nothing.

I would like to see more action on all the things you mentioned and others, too, but if it means poco a poco, that is better than ignoring the problems altogether.

As far as police crackdowns being a method of raising revenue, this is not unique to the Dominican Republic. But if in the process a problem is addressed, then that is fine with me.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua's finest in action:
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fe56pghn6fU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Youi say doing "all possible" then list some illegal behavior you think is ignored yet would be a source of revenue.

I don't agree that controlling parking does nothing.

I would like to see more action on all the things you mentioned and others, too, but if it means poco a poco, that is better than ignoring the problems altogether.

As far as police crackdowns being a method of raising revenue, this is not unique to the Dominican Republic. But if in the process a problem is addressed, then that is fine with me.

Don't ya just love these anti-tourista and anti-ex-pat law and order dudes?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
You have to consider the ecosystem in Sosua. They cannot get money off the puta and puntas as that has been stopped. But they can get money off the motorists and Motoconcho drivers. Most of the motoconcho drivers now have helmets so it is you and I that get stopped!!!

Olly

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Towing cars off of pedro clisante is nothing new, the locals know where to park in the day until after 5pm when AMET goes home. Also, motoconchos gets no free ride in sosua, I personally seen them stack about 30 bikes on their flatbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.