Opthamologist or optometrist in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Major difference between the two. The ophthalmologist is a doctor with medical training. The optometrist is a technician, mechanic if you will, who makes glasses and other eyeware.

I would suggest that you do not fool around and go and see Dr. Pedro Guzman at Clinica Corominas on Restauracion in Santiago. It will save you a lot of time and trouble.

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Major difference between the two. The ophthalmologist is a doctor with medical training. The optometrist is a technician, mechanic if you will, who makes glasses and other eyeware.

I would suggest that you do not fool around and go and see Dr. Pedro Guzman at Clinica Corominas on Restauracion in Santiago. It will save you a lot of time and trouble.

HB
With all do respect professor, I believe you have confused an optometrist with an optician. An optician is a technician who fabricates eyeware. An optometrist is a doctor (a 4 year post graduate doctoral degree. O.D. is the designation). They are not medical doctors, but are trained in diagnosis of eye pathology. They are permitted prescribe vision correcting devices and treat external eye disorders such as infections.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
maybe so. Sorry...Anyway the best is Dr. Guzman and Dr. Joe Asilis is a close second...

HB

FYI: Here they are more mechanics than anything else. Onlyone I know that has been "trained" is Resumil at Optica Cibao...

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Problem in the DR is you don't have to indicate what degree you have when you call yourself a Dr. In most states in the US, if you indicate that you are a doctor and are not a medical doctor (MD) or an osteopath (DO), you must further indicate that you are an optometrist (OD), chiropractor(DC), podiatrist (DPM), psychologist (PhD or PsyD), etc.

Although an opthalmologist is better trained in treatment of ocular disease, most find it beneath themselves to do vision exams and keep asking "is that better or worse". I have found optometrists give a better vision exam. That is why most opthalmologists in the US are associated with optometrists and do different parts of the patient's evaluation.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is the guy I used to use when I used bifocals and trifocals...when old age changed my eyesight to let me see a golf ball at 300 yards, I figured I did not need 'seeing' glasses, and switched to those $10 things you see in supermarkets in the states, and they work great for my reading and working needs.

When I had trifocals, I found I still had to move around in a supermarket to read labels and prices tabs..so grandpa glass do well and go well for my Santa Claus persona at Christmas time..

Dr. Guzman is Cornell Medical School, so he is well trained.. and his son is also trained overseas..they are by far #1 in public opinion for their specialty, in the whole of the area...but you has best go there,get a feel and decide for yourself. We are getting a lot of good doctors in the area now..

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.