Info on Rain Forest Near Nagua?

N

Nancy

In Mid-March a group of us will be going on a mission trip to a small orphanage near Nagua that we support. We would like to take the children on a field trip. On the road between Cabarete and Nagua we have passed a rain forest(I think)covered with a big net. Does anyone have information on the exact name and phone number? Also, we need to know for planning purposes and to get permission from Pastor to take the children, the approximate amount of time that it takes to complete the visit. Also how much the entrance fee is. Thanks for any help you can give.

D

DR One

Have never heard of the area you mention. We suggest you take the children to the beach instead. Diamante beach near Cabrera is a suggestion as it is very shallow and lovely.

J

JD

might you be referring to the parque national cabo frances viejo?

M

Mike

The place you saw is called Amazon 2 which is covered by a net. It has monkeys, parrots, bats, and a special butterfly sanctuary. Plus many native and tropical plants. It's well worth a visit. You might want to also visit Playa Grande which is one of the nicest beaches in the DR which is along the way.

J

jerry

The place you mentioned is now also a Disco Tek in the evenings.

J

JD

What? Amazonas 2 becomes Disco Tek at nite? What do you mean by this?

N

Nancy

Thanks to all for the information. I'm excited to take the children there -- hopefully, they will like it. If there is any interest I will post more detailed information when I get back.

R

Ronald Heyne

Nancy,

I can confirm most of what was said.

The "rain forest" is called Amazonia 2. It is between Playa Grande and Abreu. They use it as a disco at night, but as far as I know it is still open as "zoologico" at daytime.

The national parc Cabo Frances Viejo consists of two old lighthouses with a lot of bushes and some trees around. Not a lot to see there, but just west of La Catalina is a place on top of the cliffs where you have a great view.

Playa Diamante (some miles east of Cabrera) is really a good place to go swimming with kids of all ages.

Have fun,

Ronald

J

JD

Amazonas 2 (Re: Info on Rain Forest Near Nagua?)

I just came across the following description of Amazonas 2 on the Dominican Divers' webpage:

"A visit to the brand new Amazone 2 ($US 3; east of Cabrera) ecological park offers a chance to take an interesting 20 minute walk in a dense forest, where you can see some of the plants typical of this region and learn about certain aspects of the local geology. Before setting out, you will be given a small mapindicating the various points of interest in the park (marsh plant zone, fern valley, bat cave, etc.). Visitors will also find a gigantic canvas aviary containing a variety of birds, and another, smaller one sheltering scores of pretty butterflies."

I still can't imagine how such a place can be transformed into a discotechque at night!?!