Aircraft refuge in the event of a hurricane

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just wondering if any flyers on DR1 might have any advice on where one might move a light aircraft if a hurricane was forecast to hit the North Coast.

We have a Cessna 172 which is primarily parked out in the open at POP. Although tied down, it is exposed to flying debris if the winds picked up.

My immediate thoughts were Santiago or Constanza. Next, down the list would be Higuero were they do have hangars. Although Constanza does seem to be quite sheltered in those mountains. Has a major hurricane ever struck there?

I only lived here for six years so far, and touch wood we haven't been affected by any major storms. I'm just looking at a "what if" situation for the best refuge for the plane. We've also only had the plane for six months and haven't had an opportunity to meet many people in the Dominican flying community as most of them seem to be in Higuero.

NOAA say we could have a busy hurricane season this year!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is there anything at El Catey?

Not much action there , planewise.. and its a big place.

I think they have hangars....????

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Yes El Catey is an option, but very exposed like POP. No hangars at AZS (El Catey) either. If POP gets hit, chances are El Catey will get hit the same.

As a side note, Samana might get a bit busier next year.....watch this space!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Absolute safest would be Constanza, no hurricanes there, ever.

Santiago would be second on my list since we might get winds (DAvid in 1979 for instance) but your tie-down would be sufficient.

Lastly, you might consider the ag airstrips in San Francisco de Macoris and Piloto/Guayubin...with Piloto being further from areas of high winds...never ever heard of a crop duster being damaged by any of the storms these last 50 years...

HB

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Olga

Olga, I think it was, about 2-3 years ago. Not a direct hit, just some rain and high winds, maybe 50-60 mph. Tore some roofing off the airport, but not much.
I imagine your already insured?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd suggest Constanza, but I wouldn't want to fly there when the winds are already approaching...

I'm surprised someone hasn't contracted with the DR powers that be to lease some airport property and build a decent GA hangar at every airport. I would think there'd be a demand for them.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Olga, I think it was, about 2-3 years ago. Not a direct hit, just some rain and high winds, maybe 50-60 mph. Tore some roofing off the airport, but not much.
I imagine your already insured?

Yes I remember the damage Olga did to POP terminal roof. Not a huge amount, but all it would take would be for one of those roof panels to land on the plane to ruin my day!

Yes the plane is insured, but obviously I want to make every effort to avoid anything that is avoidable.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes El Catey is an option, but very exposed like POP. No hangars at AZS (El Catey) either. If POP gets hit, chances are El Catey will get hit the same.

As a side note, Samana might get a bit busier next year.....watch this space!

I hope you're right about busier.

We are in Cabrera and prefer landing in AZS.... but can only do it from Canada.... which we do when we can.

Would prefer to the US airlines do something.
Rumors of Continental sniffing ---- hear anything??

May 5, 2007
Just wondering if any flyers on DR1 might have any advice on where one might move a light aircraft if a hurricane was forecast to hit the North Coast.

We have a Cessna 172 which is primarily parked out in the open at POP. Although tied down, it is exposed to flying debris if the winds picked up.

My immediate thoughts were Santiago or Constanza. Next, down the list would be Higuero were they do have hangars. Although Constanza does seem to be quite sheltered in those mountains. Has a major hurricane ever struck there?

I only lived here for six years so far, and touch wood we haven't been affected by any major storms. I'm just looking at a "what if" situation for the best refuge for the plane. We've also only had the plane for six months and haven't had an opportunity to meet many people in the Dominican flying community as most of them seem to be in Higuero.

NOAA say we could have a busy hurricane season this year!

It's a Skyhawk, turn it upside down and duct tape to ramp

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I hope you're right about busier.

We are in Cabrera and prefer landing in AZS.... but can only do it from Canada.... which we do when we can.

Would prefer to the US airlines do something.

Rumors of Continental sniffing ---- hear anything??

Flights from the USA to AZS are currently prohibited by the FAA because the field does not have a control tower radar. POP is supposed to get a new radar and the old POP radar is supposed to be rebuilt and moved to AZS but who the feck knows if this will actually happen.