axdy0j.jpg

3025mdj.jpg

2crrgg3.jpg

28arint.jpg

1z69oue.jpg

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I hope to God they're just sleeping.....because it looks like they have blood on them.
I don't know if there is more than one pic because I only see the first

SHALENA

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are 5 pics. I see them, wonder why you only see 1. If you saw the other 4 you would know they were sleeping. Because it was hard to wake them, I suspect they had been sniffing or drinking something.

As far as location, if you could see the other photos you would know it is within sight of La Roca. The wall is the wall of El Neptuno where I live.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
There are 5 pics. I see them, wonder why you only see 1. If you saw the other 4 you would know they were sleeping. Because it was hard to wake them, I suspect they had been sniffing or drinking something.

As far as location, if you could see the other photos you would know it is within sight of La Roca. The wall is the wall of El Neptuno where I live.
When were these taken?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Sad, I remember my very first visit to Santiago (how I hated Santiago! LOL). My friend and I went through the McDonald's drive thru on Estrella Sadhala. While waiting on our food at the window, a Dominican child was reaching through the bars of the play area with his dirty hand out to one of the children inside begging for food. The little boy inside went to hand him some fries and his mother went over and smacked his hand sending the fries straight to the ground. She's yelling at her son in Spanish about "dirty" kids and picked up the,stray fries and threw them in the trash and then yanked her son away from the bars.
My friend saw my face because she had already started talking before I put my hand on the car door to get out
"Ay, Shalena, nooooo!"
I was outta that car in. NY second, I went to the bars and everybody is watching me because I had slammed the car door and of course, the general look on my face. I saw that woman and screamed "Tu ere una descaraaaaaaaa!" (thats before I actually READ Spanish, and realized that there are "d"s in those words, I learned from DomYorks).
I asked that boy if he wanted to eat. Then I asked him if he wanted to play. He said "yes" to both. I grabbed his bony little arm and marched himright into that McDonald's and asked for the Supervisor. The supervisor got a good tip that day because I threw rd1000 bill at him and told him "Give this little boy a Happy Meal now and when he leaves, and Ice Cream too, and whatever else he wants! And with this money he has a right to play outside!" The little boy is grinning as the supervisor says "Claaaaaro que si, mi vida!" Then I told him to eat what he wanted, get ice cream, play, and take food home. The mother of the other little boy was staring at me like I had 3 heads as I said to her "Tu no tiene alma, ni corazon..."
I'll never forget that day, I got back in my friend's car and as soon as I closed the door my eyes were stinging with tears, my friend says "Thats how it is here" as she drove off.....
I just said "Stupid f*cking b*tch"

I was soooo mad

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Now I see the second one! Maybe by midnight I'll see the rest!

SHALENA

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry I missed that, Shalena. Would have made some good photos. But you heart is in the right place. I've seen that in a number of threads.

But sorry I wasn't there with my camera.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Me too....that would've been one for the papers! Hey where can I buy a camera that has such good color like that one! I don't want a big towtruck one, small but where the pics cone out crisp like that

SHALENA

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Ken has said he uses post processing to make his pics looks this way. In my humble opinion he doesn't need to process images with good composition as much as he might think he does. Their impact is the same, saturated or not. I also use a lot of filters when I process my work but I have discovered over time it is the least processed images my eye returns to over the years. Mostly because I can "see" all the work that has been done and I want a pure image. In any case these shots are very telling of society in DR. I am trying to convince Ken to sign up for Flickr so he can join the many DR photo groups that exist there and where he will make many like-minded photography friends.

Sad, sad shots.

Shalena the street children always make my heart tear in two. I remember driving with my Dominican hosts through Santiago and the most precious moppet with blonde curly dirty hair and bright green eyes, and clearly impoverished, popped her head in the car at a stop and said please, buy some mangoes, no one has bought any all day. The Dominican dad I was with said of course sweetie and gave her some money for her sack of fruit.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken has said he uses post processing to make his pics looks this way. In my humble opinion he doesn't need to process images with good composition as much as he might think he does. Their impact is the same, saturated or not. I also use a lot of filters when I process my work but I have discovered over time it is the least processed images my eye returns to over the years. Mostly because I can "see" all the work that has been done and I want a pure image. In any case these shots are very telling of society in DR. I am trying to convince Ken to sign up for Flickr so he can join the many DR photo groups that exist there and where he will make many like-minded photography friends.

Sad, sad shots.

Shalena the street children always make my heart tear in two. I remember driving with my Dominican hosts through Santiago and the most precious moppet with blonde curly dirty hair and bright green eyes, and clearly impoverished, popped her head in the car at a stop and said please, buy some mangoes, no one has bought any all day. The Dominican dad I was with said of course sweetie and gave her some money for her sack of fruit.

MaineGirl, I did very little post processing with these photos. In most photos I would have considered the extra person a distraction and cropped him out, and that was my first thought with these photos. But then I realized that I was glad he was there because the presence of an obviously well fed, well dressed, and fairly prosperous spectator was in such contrast to the street kids that it gave the photos more punch.

I would also like to make a comment about the handling of this matter by the police. They treated the two kids very gently, and not just because there were people watching. You could tell they felt sorry for the children. I think you can see in the photos, for example, that the officer woke up the two gently, no rough shakes or kicking of the foot, like some officers in many countries might have done.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Me too....that would've been one for the papers! Hey where can I buy a camera that has such good color like that one! I don't want a big towtruck one, small but where the pics cone out crisp like that

SHALENA

Most photos need a little post processing when they come from the camera, if only a little sharpening.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Nice photos Ken. On a positive note, I think the DR has very few kids that actually live on the street. I could be out of touch as it has been a few years since I spent time in the poor barrios of Santiago and SD. I remember Honduras, for example, had hundreds of kids living on the street 24/7, very visible, in the big cities. I think in general the DR has a very small amount of homeless people living on the street. It makes for a interesting comparison: the USA, the wealthy giant, with its large homeless population nation-wide vrs the DR,average annual income 3,600, with its very minimal homeless problem K

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
SKing, i guess you have probably discovered that Dominicans with the kind of money to go eating Big Macs anf Double cheeseburgers are the foulest people on planet earth. in general, that is. i just love it when i meet some guy with some half assed university degree from UASD, and he wants to be called ?licenciado?this, or that.heck, real people with bachelor?s degrees do not consider it an achievement. there are hundreds on every subway car...maybe not the metro. yes, people from upper middle class families here believe they excrete Rolex watches. what is their problem, can anyone say?

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Greeting someone as "Licenciado" in the DR is a way of showing respect and is used across the board by all social classes. I am sure you have figured out by now that in the DR conversing in a respectful manner is a very very good thing for countless reasons. Know the culture, respect the culture. K

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hola doctor

Greeting someone as "Licenciado" in the DR is a way of showing respect and is used across the board by all social classes.
It does not mean much.
My lawyer and I call each other 'comandante', although neither of us is in the narco business... :cheeky:

donP

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
SKing, i guess you have probably discovered that Dominicans with the kind of money to go eating Big Macs anf Double cheeseburgers are the foulest people on planet earth. in general, that is. i just love it when i meet some guy with some half assed university degree from UASD, and he wants to be called ?licenciado?this, or that.heck, real people with bachelor?s degrees do not consider it an achievement. there are hundreds on every subway car...maybe not the metro. yes, people from upper middle class families here believe they excrete Rolex watches. what is their problem, can anyone say?

Hasn't been my experience at all.