CENSORSHIP QUESTION

E

ECH, M.D.

Rob and/or Dolores. I am not questioning your right to censor items that you think not appropriate on this message board. I do have a question however. There was something posted regarding "homosexuality and the book fair". I did not read the item and when I return it is deleted. Now, in today's Listin there is FRONT PAGE NEWS taking almost the ENTIRE FRONT PAGE about closing of a caseta at the book fair for "promoting homosexuality" and also the section of the paper "La Vida" has devoted almost HALF the section to the item in question. I find it "strange" that you did not mention this at all in DR-1 NEWS when it is smeared all over the local papers now and then you go even further to delete any reference to this on the board. News is news....ignoring it does not make it better or make it go away. Even if the news is unpleasant or distasteful. I mean, afterall, we run LONG threads on teenage pregnancy, drug and child abuse, rape, government corruption, etc. I really thought DR-1 was providing us with unbiased reporting and had almost stopped reading (or trying to read) the Spanish papers. Care to comment?

S

Sarah

My crystal ball says...

...reread the guidelines.

Here's an excerpt:

"The message board should not be used as a sounding off board, a board for endless posting of opinions, complaints, or a board to denounce and comment on problems in the DR. That kind of posting, which usually leads to long debates, is best handled: In the chat section of the DR1 (http://www.dr1.com/chat/), where several people at the same time can gather o talk things out to their hearts? content. In individual email discussions with those interested. Or in other newsgroups or forums particularly set up for that purpose."

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: My crystal ball says...

Then, Sarah, using those guidelines, how do you explain the long, long threads to which I alluded to in the previous post? You know, the teenage pregnancies, child abuse, etc.

S

Sarah

Re: My crystal ball says...

I agree, it does not seem that Rob & Delores inforce the guidelines consistently. But (I guess) it's their board and their prerogative to govern it as they see fit.

N

Natasha

Ernie,

At least two newspapers have covered what happened at the Book Fair and Listin has indeed an interesting analysis on it. The coverage has been rather extentive (taking into consideration the topic) and I see this as beneficial in creating dialogue. I am against all types of discrimination, and I will admit that this topic [homosexuality] still is very much taboo in Dominican society, and that is putting it mildly. We don't want to talk about sex, yet 13 year olds are getting pregnant. Does this make sense??? This is yet another outcome of low investments in education. I am sure all those social scientists and economists in the DR have by now learned that the more education a woman gets, the more time she will wait to marry and have children (duh). I'll get off my education soapbox for now.

In terms of the Book Fair, I was not there so I cannot comment. People will have all sorts of different opinions on this. However, going by the descriptions of the so called pamplets that were distributed at the fair (which is attended by mostly children), then I do have to question, if just a little, whether the fair was an appropriate event to dissiminate the "literature". Even a member of the NGO distributing the pamphets admitted that they do not give them to minors, so why distribute them at an event which IS attended by minors?

I am just putting that question out there. The article goes much more in depth about the appropriateness dilema. I am not against this type of information being provided...but you have to it in a responsible manner.

Regards,
Natasha

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Dolores should really reply to this...

Dolores compiles the news on DR1, what goes in or out is her call. I would say that the news has been very unbiased since DR1 has been publishing it online (Free) since 1996 and previous to this, 27+ years as the Santo Domingo News.

In most cases posts are deleted not due to the subject matter, but due to that fact that it has turned into a personal attack. Opinions are fine, but snide remarks etc will get deleted, period!

What do they say? You can't please all of the people all of the time....

DR1 does a good job and is by far the best resource for up to date Dominican Republic information on the web. We are still the only source that publishes local news daily in English.
We are expanding to help the local business community and have some big plans that you will all get to see in the very near future. Lots goes on in the background that most of you do not see or realize that DR1 is responsible for.

DR1/Santo Domingo News has done more to promote the Dominican Republic in a positive way than virtual any other business/organization on this island. The 32 year track record speaks for itself.

Yes, it feels good to blow your own trumpet :)

Rob.

D

DeanO

Re: CENSORSHIP QUESTION-Bad link

The link is pointing to a article "A smile of Metal or Porcelan", don't think is related to homosexuality
DeanO

N

Natasha

Re: CENSORSHIP QUESTION-Bad link

That's because the link was for yesterday's newspaper. Look at May 4th edtion.

Regards,
Natasha

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Simple answer

The message board and the DR1 Daily News are two very separate sections of DR1. What shows up in one doesn't necessarily have to show up in the other. Thanks to our editing the board, the DR1 message board today is a community. There is no mathematical formula to the exceptions that are made to the guidelines. We try to keep it a pleasant place for people to come and interact.

The story of the fair booth was not covered in the DR1 News merely because it was the editor's judgement call that there were more important stories that day. For everyone's information, eventually the booth was reopened.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: Simple answer

Dolores, I appreciate your taking time to answer the question I posed. Basically a judgement call. What may be of interest to one is not of interest to others, etc. I also appreciate your informing us the booth was re-opened. I went to the Fair (fantastic event by the way) with my 12 year old grand child and some of his school friends. We walked into the booth as we tried to visit all of them and to be honest, I did not find anything objectionable to either myself or for my grandson to see. At the age of 12 (and in fact when he was younger) he is/was aware of different relationships between the different sexes and we are trying desperately to achieve that he grow up in a non judgemental way, tolerant of ALL people and respect the wonderful world that is diversity. His many little friends are all colors, sizes, shapes, languages, Christian and non Christian alike. It has not been easy but it sure is nice.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: FORGOT SOMETHING!

To thank you for providing the Board and Dr-1 News...both of which are excellent. And, under your leadership the board has definitely developed into a community of people, ideas and conversation. It has been fun to watch it grow from a weekly hard copy to an electronic marvel. Congratulations on a job well done...