How much shoplifting goes on

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive never seen any or anyone being chased for shoplifting , I presume it goes on, maybe no one is that bothered about it.........my neighbour in the uk got caught with frozen sausages in his pants and was never the same after that

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Imagine how his wife felt!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
About a year or two ago I saw a shoplifter in Iberia supermarket in Higuey gotten beaten to blood by security guards right there at the main entrance. After some people protested, they dragged him to the back office ... go figure

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Imagine how his wife felt!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
She would have been disgusted....specially if they were chipolatas and she was expecting Cumberland ;)

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Sweat-hearting is a much bigger problem in this country and in the North America then shoplifting. For those that are not familiar with this terminology. It's when a customer and check out person has prearranged for certain (usually expensive) items not to be charged at the checkout counter. A cashier can save their contact quite a bit of money, then a % of that is given back to her at a later time. The scanning system that you see in major supermarkets can only insure the UPC scanning vs. retail pricing, not the number of skews that a customer has in fact selected. Hence the exit checking in places such as Walmart, and several major Publix Supermakets in Florida. As far as the DR is concern, La Sirena in POP has and will continue to have a major problem with this issue that I know of despite having several managers standing near the front end checkouts .

Last edited:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
On DR1 you learn something new every day!!! I know that theft is a major issue here and that is why (I assume) that staff trail you in the stores and watch you like a hawk UNTIL you actually need assistance. THEN they disappear........

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Sweat-hearting is a much bigger problem in this country and in the North America then shoplifting. For those that are not familiar with this terminology. It's when a customer and check out person has prearranged for certain (usually expensive) items not to be charged at the checkout counter. A cashier can save their contact quite a bit of money, then a % of that is given back to her at a later time. The scanning system that you see in major supermarkets can only insure the UPC scanning vs. retail pricing, not the number of skews that a customer has in fact selected. Hence the exit checking in places such as Walmart, and several major Publix Supermakets in Florida. As far as the DR is concern, La Sirena in POP has and will continue to have a major problem with this issue that I know of despite having several managers standing near the front end checkouts .
This is why the major stores have multiple people checking purchases, often within mere feet of each other. Ochoa is a prime example of this. I'll bet DV8 can offer some perspectives, too.

At first the process was annoying. But now I have a better understanding of how it works. I'm working with a security consultant with some of his collateral materials, and have learned a TON about why things are done the way they are here, from retail, to banking, etc. There is a method to their madness and the system has evolved over the years as new vulnerabilites present themselves.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is why the major stores have multiple people checking purchases, often within mere feet of each other. Ochoa is a prime example of this. I'll bet DV8 can offer some perspectives, too.

Well, that explains it !!!

I have always grumbled about the stupidity of those checks and now I see the light

Thanks for the clarification.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
had two people count out a bag of screws once, but couldnt agree how many, so several recounts later I was leaving with my 20 screws

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Cobraboy you are right, Ochoa is a good example of checking security at the exit point. In addition, most major retailer here have prevented the cashiers from using the override feature unless a managers code is applied. However, in major supermarkets here the cashier still has the ability to cover scan items because management will not randomly select a skew check after the transaction has been completed. As i said before, the majority of cover scans are done prearranged with customers that purchase large amounts of goods. Hence the reluctant's with management to rescan the entire order. If management was to establish this check and explain to the customer that it also benefits then in reducing errors, but more importantly at the same time sending a clear message to the cashier that you are being watched. Only then you can manage this theft which invariably creates losses to the company, and in turn drives up retail pricing.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010

Well, that explains it !!!

I have always grumbled about the stupidity of those checks and now I see the light

Thanks for the clarification.

I so agree. Once we understand the thoughts and reason behind what we see, it is so much easier to both understand what they do and either accept or tolerate it (depending on the day and or the mood)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy you are right, Ochoa is a good example of checking security at the exit point. In addition, most major retailer here have prevented the cashiers from using the override feature unless a managers code is applied. However, in major supermarkets here the cashier still has the ability to cover scan items because management will not randomly select a skew check after the transaction has been completed. As i said before, the majority of cover scans are done prearranged with customers that purchase large amounts of goods. Hence the reluctant's with management to rescan the entire order. If management was to establish this check and explain to the customer that it also benefits then in reducing errors, but more importantly at the same time sending a clear message to the cashier that you are being watched. Only then you can manage this theft which invariably creates losses to the company, and in turn drives up retail pricing.
Next time you go into a La Sirena or Nacional, look around and see if you can spot the security cameras on the check out areas. They are there. Not as obvious as banks (banks have a different theft threat, one with guns and bullets; no one is gonna pull a gun on a La Sirena cashier. Plus LS has to deal with petty theft.), but still there.

I suspect the planned thieves go to places that don't have the same kind of security instead of the Big Box stores. Which is ~why~ smaller stores have counters, and not inventory accessable to customers.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Security cameras? Admittedly it was a few years ago but I once had my wallet stolen in the Super Nacional on 27/Lincoln. I asked the manager about security cameras - he said they didn't have any.