CANADIAN IN JAIL IS PROBABLY A HOAX

L

Larry

The majority of the posts concerning the poor Canandian boy in jail who needs money and assistance all come from the same computer. The address is 'px1cv.gv.shawcable.net' . The names of the posters are changing but the computer address is still the same. The dialect typing style is even changing but the address is still the same. Send money at your own risk. Has anyone noticed that not once has this boy or his family been identified by name?

A

A. Nony Mouse

I agree. The story becomes less credible by the minute. Paid to transport cocaine from Venezuela to Spain in the soles of his shoes! How many Kilos fit in there?

C

Charlie

Yes, the Canadian in Jail does not hold water. All posts originate from the same IP address. As a MSCE networking professional, I can tell you that it is a common scam played on unsuspecting people that would not normally be aware that all the posts albeit with different names, are coming from the same computer. Insomuch that no name of the incarcerated drug offender has been given which could easily be verified by others living in the D.R., and that money donations have been requested for such anonymous person, this is 99.99% a hoax for sympathetic suckers.

S

sam

I have been trying to tell you naive people such things in the past couple of days. These people are only soliciting from you. When I tried to express my opinions the Dr1 board (Rob and Delores, I guess) has deleted my messages. When I then voiced a response regarding them deleting my messages, they deleted those as well. I am glad you people are finally seeing the light. DR1 are you going to delete this also, or are you beginning to realize what is going on? I expect an apology and I also expect my posts to be put back on the board!!

D

Doug

no it is not

No this is not a hoax, My wife and myself were at the jail ourselves and met this young man and took pictures of him and sent them to his caring Family. We also talked to this young man for approx 1 hour when we were there. Of course this can be easily checked out, that is not a concern of the familys, they are truly concerned for thier son/brother. There has been a missionary from the D.R. that has went and seen him. Also the Canadien consulate has also been there, but as said before..they are there to make sure your rights are not being violated and thats it. And yes this family is asking for help, only because they desparatly need it, not only in the way of money, but support for Matt. Mellissa the sister is willing to move down there if she could find a job, so she could be near her brother. If just one or two ppl visited Matt, then that would be better than no-one visiting. If someone wanted to send a coupla bucks to a reputable organization that could forward it to Matt in jail,or send it to a lawyer, so Matt could be properly represented that would be great as well. Is it so bad this family is reaching out?....All kinds of ppl do this, and not only for money, but for everything. I am the person who put the first message on this board. The family was not. If anyone has any questions about the authenticity of this young man being in jail, I would be more than happy to go out of my way and get some sort of concrete proof. So please be rest assured this is not a hoax(but I can and will get proof...if needed)And please don't be so hard on this family....they are trying to cope with this situation...Thank You for your time....Doug

L

Larry

Re: no it is not

Douglas, please explain why the messages posted by bb, sister, M, Melissa, Lill and Patrick all have the same IP address indicating that the messages all came from the same computer (px1cv.gv.shawcable.net).

G

Grahame Bush

Doug,
I was helping an American two years ago on a trumped up drugs charge - I think I know my way round a bit. Please advise full name of Matt, which Jail he is in & when committed to jail. Who is the Consul you know that has been visiting Matt & which town/city is he in? How often does he visit? Do you know which days are visiting days at the Jail so that I can get in myself?

Melissa says the date of trial is fixed for June 5th, is this a full trial or Habeas Corpus? I know the best lawyer for drugs charges here on the North Coast - he represented our American Friend over the 14 months of his incarceration. Maybe I could ask him to assist in Matt's case? Maybe Melissa would like to fill in these details if you don't have them.

Anymore information would enable those of us "on the ground" in the DR, to be more active & helpful in our support.

What part of London are you from by the way? As you might have gathered from the 'British' spellings I use, I am a 'Brit' Ex-Pat. Been here (& love it) nearly nine years.
Regards - Grahame ^_^

D

Doug

Larry, I'm sorry I can not answer that. Not being evasive, I just don't know. It very well could be from the family, I have not asked them as of yet. But I know Mellissa posted two of them because she felt the more that is mentioned about her brother than the more response that there would be, it is not the brightest thing to do, but if you were crying for help and after one of your crys....you got some response...do you quit crying, or cry louder and more often? Like I said, not maybe the smartest thing to do, but Mellissa is grasping at every straw that is within her reach. Albeit I would do the same thing if it was one of my children there! And Grahame...I'm sorry, I'm from the countrie of Canada so that would be London, Ontario. that you are seeing, not London England. as I think that is what you think it is. My wife is from London England though...lol. As for me I'm from Sarnia Ontario. right on the border of the good ol U.S.A (Port Huron, Mich.)But to answer your questions I'll get all of the above info and forward it to you, after I O.K. it with the family, if that would be ok with yourself. And Larry and Grahame....I thank you for your trust and you believeing that this is indeed not a hoax. Thanks Doug

J

John

trafficking drugs into dominican republic is a crime like in any other country. this guy was bringing drugs to this country and this is illegal. he knew was he was doing, he is not an angel who was caught with a small cigarrette. he was caught with cocaine. and this is penalized here in dominican as well as it is in the States, Canada or any other country.
this is a safe country and we want to continue being safe. we dont want to be another puerto rico or jamaica. the government here is making a big effort to keep this country clean of drugs, so my advice to tourists who wants to bring drugs into DR, think twice before doing.
I really feel sorry for his family, but this is the law, and he is not innocent.
she says that her family is very poor. very poor in canada? does she really know what poor is? does she know how many poor dominican families have some relatives in jail in the States or Canada without money to visit them?

L

Larry

She didn't cry louder

She didn't cry louder, she cried using aliases.

From M (px1cv.gv.shawcable.net)

A PARENTS PLEA
Our 18 year old son is in prison in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and requires financial support for his defense (lawyer's fee-10,000). There is no extardition policy in the Dominican Republic. Call

L

Larry

She didn't cry louder

A PARENTS PLEA
Our 18 year old son is in prison in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and requires financial support for his defense (lawyer's fee-10,000). There is no extardition policy in the Dominican Republic. Call your local MP and voice your opinion.

FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF M.G. THANK YOU!

L&P.G

(a monetary amount mentioned)

From Lill (px1cv.gv.shawcable.net)
Melissa, your brother is very lucky to have you as a sister. I would like to help you out but me alone is not much, maybe you should start a fundraiser. You should be with your brother, you are right, he needs you more then ever now.
Bless you, your family and your brother.
lk

(let's start a fundraiser)

From Patrick (px1cv.gv.shawcable.net)
Girl, you gotta get out of where ever you are and go help your bro, it really sucks being in jail man. Support is the thing that keeps you going, love too. I wanna help you. If you really want to go I'll make it happen for you.
later
pat

(the first contributor to get the ball rolling)

Doug, everything about this stinks to high heaven. Also, as the unofficial defender of this family, please explain how an 18 year old Canadian boy from a poor family ended up alone in Venezuela on his way to Spain with a total stranger. And don't say the trip to Venezuela was a graduation present.

L

Larry

She didn't cry louder

A PARENTS PLEA
Our 18 year old son is in prison in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and requires financial support for his defense (lawyer's fee-10,000). There is no extardition policy in the Dominican Republic. Call your local MP and voice your opinion.

FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF M.G. THANK YOU!

L&P.G

(a monetary amount mentioned)

From Lill (px1cv.gv.shawcable.net)
Melissa, your brother is very lucky to have you as a sister. I would like to help you out but me alone is not much, maybe you should start a fundraiser. You should be with your brother, you are right, he needs you more then ever now.
Bless you, your family and your brother.
lk

(let's start a fundraiser)

From Patrick (px1cv.gv.shawcable.net)
Girl, you gotta get out of where ever you are and go help your bro, it really sucks being in jail man. Support is the thing that keeps you going, love too. I wanna help you. If you really want to go I'll make it happen for you.
later
pat

(the first contributor to get the ball rolling)

Doug, everything about this stinks to high heaven. Also, as the unofficial defender of this family, please explain how an 18 year old Canadian boy from a poor family ended up alone in Venezuela on his way to Spain with a total stranger. And don't say the trip to Venezuela was a graduation present.

R

Rob

Presume innocent

Hey John,

what are you saying ? what do you do with the presumption of inoncence. A lot of reasons lead people to import narcotics, DURESS is one of them and it is a defence in LAW. Does the Dominican Policy violated this man constitutional rights when he was arrested, did they have reasonable and probable grounds to search him, does the search was legal ... Does the substance seized is cocaine and is it admissible in Court ? Please wait for the trial and its outcome before making any general judgement. This is why criminal lawyers are there to raise a defence and get their guy acquitted or getting a lesser sentence.

T

Tom

Constitutional rights???

Civil rights, probable cause? Where in hell do you think you are? Beside the fact that Customs officials in almost every country are exempt from these procedural niceities

L

Larry

Re: Presume innocent

You are applying American constitutional law to a foreign country. Innocent until proven guilty only applies in certain countries. Guilty until proven innocent also applies in certain countries. That is why the State Department tells people to be aware of the laws of the country they are visiting.

D

Doug

Larry

Hi Larry; This family is not poor, poor, but they are an average family who has a loved one in a foriegn jail, and send what ever money they have extra to meet Matt's needs for things like a mattress/bed, money to use the phone, money to eat,(you don't get "three hots, and a cot")money for every day nessesities. Things that you and I take for granted(like to go outside)yes believe it or not the guards will extort money for daily pleasures. So the money that they do have, they are trying to help out thier son/brother, and at the same time trying to get money together for a reputable defense, a trip for one of the family members to go and visit Matt(as he has not seen a loved one for/since his arrest in June of last year,) and still take care of a household. Larry could you imagine being in a foriegn jail for a yr and not seeing anyone you know, not knowing the language, the way of life,the food, I could go on and on, at all of this while being 18! Larry this family would appreciate it if someone stopped in to say hello to Matt, They are looking for support, support in any way they can get. So please Larry, to say it stinks to high heaven, is not true! But we won't take away your opportunity for you to express your opinion, every one deserves that. Trust me I have been there and visited him, and I know a lot of residents of the D.R. who can attest to this. Yes Matt brought everything on himself, but that don't mean he's not a good person. He is a young lad who made a huge mistake, and is paying very dearly for it. So Larry if you want to e-mail me and ask me something, please do, but remember it was me who started this about Matt on this board, I just thought if there were a coupla ppl who were to be in the D.R. and visited Matt, that would be great. And if they dropped off a few bucks to make his day go better....wonderful. But thats all. Now there was a chiropractor who said he would like to go and visit Matt, I think thats great also, a few other ppl said the same. Anything is better than nothing. I hope you believe this but if you don't(and you seem pretty adament)that's ok too. Have a Good Day Larry.

T

Tom

Who what where?

Doug

Instances like the arrest for this Canadian of allegedly smuggling drugs usually rates a newspaper article or two. Could you reference these for us (readers of the board) and the issue of legitimacy will likely be settled

Tom

L

Larry

You didn't address any of the issues I pointed out

Your answer was filled with sentamentality. I can almost hear the violins. But not one thing you wrote was a reply to anything I wrote. I don't believe I need to email you directly for answers. Just post an adequate response here and everyone will be satified. And why dosen't someone from 'px1cv.gv.shawcable.net' join you as 'Defender of the Faith'? This thread is more than long enough to have been noticed by them. Surely you have been in contact with them and told them that there is a growing belief that their story is now a not so elaborate con job.

D

Doug

Re: You didn't address any of the issues I pointed

Yes I did post a response to you Larry,in case you missed it, it said everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, including yourself Larry. But I will post something that will put to rest any disbeliefs. But once again, only you can make up your own mind Larry. Now do you think someone would go through the trouble of a con job involving separate countries(come to think of it....I guess it happens all the time)but Larry you can keep your beliefs, but please don't call or think of me as a liar. Have a Good Day Larry.