Car/jeep recommendations

Nov 10, 2010
Can you recommend a jeep/car to be driven up down the north coast to POP/cabarete

good MPG
Up to $18000us brand new
reliable for the conditions

cheers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can you buy a brand new jeep for 18k dollars? a look at supercarros tells me that even a tiny suzuki jimny costs over 20k (2011 model). of course supercarros gives only a rough idea but still...
in any case, best jeepetas for DR are toyota, honda and mitsubishi. all easy to fix and easy to re-sell. cheap parts, mechanics readily available and all around good cars. we had mitsubishi montero sport that i loved and now toyota something. highlander? feels like driving a sofa...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are no decent Jeepetas even close to $18,000 BRAND NEW...certainly nothing from Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi, etc. The cheapest would be a Kia, Daihatsu, or Hyundai in the mid-20k's

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
1998 toyota 4runner, perfect condition, 6 months warranty and respected, 7.600 us$.... should tell u enough

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, i see now that you are open to cars as well. again, toyota and honda lead the pack. but even those brand new are not exactly cheap. i myslef drive a honda capa, also known as kupa (in polish kupa means mierda) because of it's extreme ugliness. but it is an excellent car: very spacious inside, easy to park (fits everywhere), parts and service dirt cheap, economical to run. we have lifted it up a bit and fitted with bigger wheels coz it was a bit low. i totally love it.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Can you recommend a jeep/car to be driven up down the north coast to POP/cabarete

good MPG
Up to $18000us brand new
reliable for the conditions

cheers
For that price you can get a 4 to 5 year old jeepeta in decent shape. I'm presently looking for a 2007 Mitsubishi L200 and they run between 19 and 22 K's.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Speaking about recomendations....does anyone know a reliable BMW mecanic in the north-coast?

Nov 25, 2008
I believe that their are no bad cars just BAD DRIVERS, for $18,00 you can buy a kia or Hyundai car NEW.....used get yourself a very good mechanic

rvancil

Feb 2, 2009
You really won't be able to buy anything of worth, especially a 4x4 for under $25k...My FJ in the states sells for about $29k give or take, here it cost me $54k...nice right? Lol...Bunch of crooks down here.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport last Winter. These are very reliable cars and not expensive to repair. There are a lot of them on the road. I would stick to some kind of SUV. If you drive beyond POP and Cabarate you will be happy you have a heavier duty vehicle. For 18,000USD unfortunately you probably won't get much. You are better off buying something used a few years old. Check out www.Suppercarro. This will give you an idea of what is out there. I would stay away from used car dealers and try to find a private individual. Make sure you are comfortable with the person you are dealling with and do not exchange money until the paper work is complete. There are a lot of scam artists out there. Good luck.

S

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i SAW A NUMBER OF 2007-8 Mitsubishi Outlanders on SuperCarros in the 20K range. These are excellent small SUVs. I own an 2007 RAV4 and I'm very happy with it.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
DR1 classified has an ad "Moving sale in Santiago" , includes a 2005 Toyota 4Runner V-6,Automatic. This is a great car, bought new and maintained by the best mechanic in the DR. ( Mr Z aka The Hun). Also comes with many yet to be needed maintenance parts.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I think a Daihatsu Terrios takes a lot of beating, in both senses of the word. The new model they brought out with the bulbous corners is a target for just about any passing vehicle to clip but the rest of it works better than fine and it's pretty economical. Of course if I had the money it would be a Landrover Defender with bull bars all around (mata perros)!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Sport last Winter. These are very reliable cars and not expensive to repair. There are a lot of them on the road.

Thats was by far the most crappiest car we ever drove in Europe...probably thats why they shipped them all over here :)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Allways do a carfax

A small investment that could save you big headaches. A few weeks ago, I visited several car dealers in Moca and Santiago. 5 vehicles were if interest. Wrote down the VIN numbers and invested a few $$ in Carfax. Guess what? Not one of the 5 I would even have a 2nd look at. Former rental cars, SUV?s with several owners, accidents, repos. Etc. The best was a Chev. Equinox. Good looking vehicle with the odometer turned back 100,000 MILES. Had been owned by 4 different people, the last owners a rental company who put on 67,000 miles in a few months. It appears that Dominican dealers buy the worst junk available in the USA and sell them here

Nov 10, 2010
A small investment that could save you big headaches. A few weeks ago, I visited several car dealers in Moca and Santiago. 5 vehicles were if interest. Wrote down the VIN numbers and invested a few $$ in Carfax. Guess what? Not one of the 5 I would even have a 2nd look at. Former rental cars, SUV?s with several owners, accidents, repos. Etc. The best was a Chev. Equinox. Good looking vehicle with the odometer turned back 100,000 MILES. Had been owned by 4 different people, the last owners a rental company who put on 67,000 miles in a few months. It appears that Dominican dealers buy the worst junk available in the USA and sell them here

thankyou

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Supercarros says 0 cars 2010-2011 in that price range!

You really won't be able to buy anything of worth, especially a 4x4 for under $25k...My FJ in the states sells for about $29k give or take, here it cost me $54k...nice right? Lol...Bunch of crooks down here.

I looked at one in Moca at around the same price point. Flew to Atlanta instead and bought similar for $30k. With exoneracion + shipping should end up costing me ~$35k.